Hamilton to declare, will not hire agent | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Hamilton to declare, will not hire agent

Status
Not open for further replies.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
DHam has a timid nature about him. Hope he comes back and works on that.

I wouldn't say he's timid. He's the quiet/smooth type, but he's not afraid to go at you. You could say he might not have the killer instinct, but I'm not yet sold on that. Problem this year is that he was not a great shooter, and was being asked to do far too much before he was ready. Made him a little tentative.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
We are all gonna split it so hopefully he bought 50 cents mansion.

Says you. First in, biggest piece of the pie. I get kitchen, master bed/bath, living room, and patio/porch. Y'all can have the rest.

Reaction Score
You never know, it only takes 1 team who would take him in the first round.

Reaction Score
I think we all want him back but he isn't Ray Allen or even Rip Hamilton at this point of his career. Can he develop into that next year. Sure but he definitely seemed to not really improve his game much from his Freshman year except for a few games at the end of the season. Hey unfortunately this is the nature of current state of college basketball. Just need to make sure you can reload and keep playing good ball. I think the way KO is recruiting now he fully aware of this. He also understands he might have to reach out for some JUCO's and Grad Students until his classes start becoming consistently good like this year's incoming one.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I think we all want him back but he isn't Ray Allen or even Rip Hamilton at this point of his career. Can he develop into that next year. Sure but he definitely seemed to not really improve his game much from his Freshman year except for a few games at the end of the season. Hey unfortunately this is the nature of current state of college basketball. Just need to make sure you can reload and keep playing good ball. I think the way KO is recruiting now he fully aware of this. He also understands he might have to reach out for some JUCO's and Grad Students until his classes start becoming consistent good like this year's incoming one.

OK, first, he's not ever going to come close to Rip or Ray. Fact.

Second, he hasn't developed since freshman year? Really? Just look at his handle alone. Again, he was asked, by necessity, to do too much this year. If this year proved anything, it's that DH is not a point guard. Give him a stud PG, no Brimah injury, and I think his numbers would look entirely different this year.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Next. Maybe he wants to emulate his brother flame out of the early in the NBA even he even makes it. Either way I think we are fine long term. I was rather dissapointed with Dham after a promising freshman year. Of course it would be cool that he comes back but we will be fine as we have depth even it is unproven there.

Incredibly dumb post. Wow.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
OK, first, he's not going to come close to Rip or Ray. Fact.

Second, he hasn't developed since freshman year? Really? Just look at his handle alone. Again, he was asked, by necessity, to do too much this year. If this year proved anything, it's that DH is not a point guard.
He had a handle the year before also even though it had to get tighter. His shooting and judgement on shots didn't improve. I like DHAM as a player and he could help big time next year but we have to realize this is part of the college game nowadays and make sure we have depth on the team in case people leave which could be the case here.

Reaction Score
His FG shooting didn't improve, largely due to that wicked slump. Everything else did. Assist to turnover ratio jumped a ton to 2:1, his FT shooting took a big leap, and he became an even better rebounder. Defensively he improved second half of the season.

Needs an offseason of constant shooting reps to become a monster. Hopefully, it'll be at Gampel and not in an agent's gym somewhere.

Reaction Score
Incredibly dumb post. Wow.
I didn't say he wasn't a good player. He was the best player on the team but we just have to realize this is way the landscape of college basketball is nowadays. Honestly I just can't see him succeeding at the next level with his lack of athleticism and poor shooting. He can dribble and rebound but he is limited in many aspects of his game right now. Unless he improves his shooting tremendously he is foolish to think he has a chance at the next level. Of course he could always play in Europe next year.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
He has to stay 1 more year. There is so much at stake. A possible NC maybe? I will speak for myself. I am selfish, we need him next year. He played fantastic at the end of the year. But during the year there were a few questions. He needs to stay and play good ball all year.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
I didn't say he wasn't a good player. He was the best player on the team but we just have to realize this is way the landscape of college basketball is nowadays. Honestly I just can't see him succeeding at the next level with his lack of athleticism and poor shooting. He can dribble and rebound but he is limited in many aspects of his game right now. Unless he improves his shooting tremendously he is foolish to think he has a chance at the next level. Of course he could always play in Europe next year.

So... you said you were disappointed in him.

You were disappointed in a soph putting up 12.5 pts, 8.9 reb, and 4.7 asst per game!?
You were disappointed in a soph NOT ONLY leading our team in rebounding, but having TWICE as many rebounds as our next leading rebounder (Miller)?!
You were disappointed in a soph NOT ONLY leading our team in assists, but having nearly TWICE as many assists as our next leading guy (Jalen)?!
You were disappointed in a soph who was second on our team in free throw percentage at 86% ?!
You were disappointed with Daniel improving his handle and being able to push the ball on the break and create offense in transition?!

No, he wasn't always locked in on defense. No, he didn't always shoot a high percentage. But this kid did SO much for this team in SO many different ways. Oh, but... you were disappointed in him. And despite leading this team in almost every major statistical category, you said he 'Is limited in so many aspects of his game right now' !? Wow, wake up.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I think he also needs to come back. He needs to use this offseason to improve his range and learn how to play off ball and run off screens ala Rip with Jalen running the show. If he could do those two things he will be looking at a lottery selection. He has the skills he just has to play smarter and find easier ways to score outside of constantly trying to take his man one on one.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This thread makes me sad. Why must we screw these things up. He's a good kid and a superb player. He has some things to improve. He made some huge strides from his Freshman year, which was the best Freshman year I've seen since Rudy Gay. So he will either come back and work on what he needs to, or he'll do it in the NBA. To suggest that losing the guy who is without a doubt our best player on the 16-17 roster is inconsequential is nuts.

Reaction Score
The number of people on this message board so willingly easy to give up a wheelbarrow full of money for a kid based on the speculation that the wheelbarrow might be fuller next year is... pretty great. I understand it's in our best interest if he stays, but the kid certainly will attract some attention, and I'm not going to sit here and pretend I would've stayed at UConn for another year if someone was offering me a bunch of money.

Reaction Score
Remember his brother (from Texas) left early (too early) played in the NBA , I believe for 3-4 years, and then didn't get another deal and is in Europe, I think.

Hamilton is a good player but has A LOT OF HOLES in his game that he needs to address in order to have a long, productive and highly rewarding (prosperous) NBA career.

He needs at least 1 more really good year @ UCONN with development in his game. Might even need 2 years but alas, I don't see that happening even if it would ultimately be in his best interest.

The key in pro sports is to get the 2nd contract - that's where you get truly set for life. the Rookie contact is great for us regular people, but the 2nd contract is where the big bucks come in and you want to be in the league and productive so you can get that 2nd deal. Don't follow big bro, who was never able to get the 2nd deal. enter the league as a more complete and finished product, you will do better and get that all important 2nd contract.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
The number of people on this message board so willingly easy to give up a wheelbarrow full of money for a kid based on the speculation that the wheelbarrow might be fuller next year is... pretty great. I understand it's in our best interest if he stays, but the kid certainly will attract some attention, and I'm not going to sit here and pretend I would've stayed at UConn for another year if someone was offering me a bunch of money.
Seeing as his brother is already in the NBA I'm not sure if he's in much need of the wheelbarrow as say a Rodney Purvis. With Hamilton it should really be about making sure when he jumps, he's ready.

Reaction Score
Look he be stupid to not test the waters. But as said previously, this past summer wasn't good for him NBA wise.

He has potential but is not ready based on what I've seen. But I don't matter. I don't think his game as is is 1st round material. Maybe one of the echelon teams would gamble on him. Give him the time to grow. But if you are 6/6 6/7 and don't go hard to the rim, drawing contact, that's a problem.

Last edited:

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
What is in DHam's game right now that translate to the NBA? He is testing the water but he will absolutely be back.

Reaction Score
He's a smart kid. He knows he didn't perform up to his abilities this year. He will be back.

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
What is in DHam's game right now that translate to the NBA? He is testing the water but he will absolutely be back.
You can never rule out him getting bad advice (not from KO of course) or him showing well in workouts...nothing is for certain until he is officially returning post withdrawal deadline

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
What Calhoun said is right on the money imo, he's not a go to player but go through player
He's a Robin, not necessarily a Batman, and that's not a knock. I felt like we forced him to be Batman earlier in the season and that's not his game. He's still a great player and we absolutely need him next year

Reaction Score
So... you said you were disappointed in him.

You were disappointed in a soph putting up 12.5 pts, 8.9 reb, and 4.7 asst per game!?
You were disappointed in a soph NOT ONLY leading our team in rebounding, but having TWICE as many rebounds as our next leading rebounder (Miller)?!
You were disappointed in a soph NOT ONLY leading our team in assists, but having nearly TWICE as many assists as our next leading guy (Jalen)?!
You were disappointed in a soph who was second on our team in free throw percentage at 86% ?!
You were disappointed with Daniel improving his handle and being able to push the ball on the break and create offense in transition?!

No, he wasn't always locked in on defense. No, he didn't always shoot a high percentage. But this kid did SO much for this team in SO many different ways. Oh, but... you were disappointed in him. And despite leading this team in almost every major statistical category, you said he 'Is limited in so many aspects of his game right now' !? Wow, wake up.
Disappointed that he didn't play well until end of the season. He is limited offensively. He can't beat his man off the dribble, has to use deception or behind the back dribbles or spin moves to get by him, and is not a great shooter. Offensively he is limited at this stage. He can dribble but he needs to improve his shooting and shot selection tremendously if he wants to stick in the NBA. Also, on defense he is definitely below average. He is a great rebounder and decent passer but still he has some major deficiencies that he needs to work on before thinking he can be successful on the next level. All this said he is our best player and if we lose him it will be a major blow to our tourney hopes next year. No doubt about that but it is the college landscape we are facing nowadays.

Reaction Score
Some of the responses in this thread are bewildering.

Yes, this is 100% the right move for him to make. He'll get feedback and will be able to compare himself to his peers in the combine to see where his stock is at.

He has 0% chance of going in the first round this year, but a very high probability of going in the 2nd round. NBA teams would love to draft a 20yo prospect with high upside and stash him in the D-league. The question is, does he want to sacrifice another year developing his game as the #1 player on an NCAA tourney caliber team to do that? (Note: This is where Ollie's pro-style offense is a HUGE upside for the program. Why would a player in his position come back to system that doesn't develop players/translate to the professional ranks a la Syracuse. Those players are better suited going to the D-league and playing in pro-style offense/defense)

Returning for his junior season at Uconn will undoubtedly increase his chances of becoming a first round pick in 2017. BUT, there are no guarantees. What is guaranteed is a 6 figure salary to play pro ball overseas waiting for him should he leave today.

Here is the most important and relevant info: Daniel Hamilton turns 21 in August. He essentially has a 10 year window (give or take) as a professional player to earn a living. Does he sacrifice a year of that, while risking injury, to come back to Uconn to improve his stock for a shot at the guaranteed 3-4 year contract that comes with being a 1st round pick? If he is told that he doesn't have a realistic shot at being a 2017 1st rounder, then he should go pro immediately. If he does have 2017 1st round potential (personally I think he does, mid to late), or if he wants to maximize his chances of making it to the NBA, or hell, if he just wants to further develop his game before jumping to any pro league, then he will probably return.

I think he does return in the end. Another year in school as the unquestioned leader and alpha dog, adding 10-15lbs to his frame, and working on his jump shot will certainly do wonders for his game. Do we have a shot at a title without him? Nope. Will I hold it against him? Nope. Hope he becomes filthy rich one way or another. He was the first big recruit to commit to Ollie/Uconn when the program was at its lowest and most uncertain - before that 2014 title run. Left California to come to cold Storrs and compete in a middling conference outside the P5. He's a Husky for life, a made man in mafia terms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom