Hamilton to declare, will not hire agent | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Hamilton to declare, will not hire agent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Next. Maybe he wants to emulate his brother flame out of the early in the NBA even he even makes it. Either way I think we are fine long term. I was rather dissapointed with Dham after a promising freshman year. Of course it would be cool that he comes back but we will be fine as we have depth even it is unproven there.
Take a lap

Reaction Score
This idea that Hamilton has no clue what his stock is confuses me; 8 monthes ago he attended a Nike camp filled with NBA scouts , and his head coach is well connected to many NBA front offices. This isn't about trying to find out his stock , I would bet the house he hires an agent (ty sullivan) very soon.

You don't need to be unsure of your stock to test the waters and gain exposure, do some workouts, and get feedback. There is literally no downside to doing so.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
We have Larrier and Vance Jackson. There's no need to look for another similar player if DHam leaves.
He is our top rebounder and assist guy this year. We would have a scholarship available. Seems reasonable to look for a transfer.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
No, he wasn't always locked in on defense. No, he didn't always shoot a high percentage. But this kid did SO much for this team in SO many different ways. Oh, but... you were disappointed in him. And despite leading this team in almost every major statistical category, you said he 'Is limited in so many aspects of his game right now' !? Wow, wake up.

I'd also add that, while not great, he noticeably improved on the defensive side of the ball throughout the course of the season.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
The number of people on this message board so willingly easy to give up a wheelbarrow full of money for a kid based on the speculation that the wheelbarrow might be fuller next year is... pretty great. I understand it's in our best interest if he stays, but the kid certainly will attract some attention, and I'm not going to sit here and pretend I would've stayed at UConn for another year if someone was offering me a bunch of money.

Some people are arguing that the wheelbarrow could very likely be smoke and mirrors right now, whereas next year, has the potential to be chock full. I've no reasonable guess myself.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Hamilton is a good player but has A LOT OF HOLES in his game that he needs to address in order to have a long, productive and highly rewarding (prosperous) NBA career.

His only real critical (and fixable) hole at this point is shooting. Any others can be developed w time. Shooting is the significant thing holding him back w respect to the NBA.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
His only real critical (and fixable) hole at this point is shooting. Any others can be developed w time. Shooting is the significant thing holding him back w respect to the NBA.
I think finishing at the rim/through contact is a much bigger issue than his jumper. He's actually a good shooter when he takes good shots, but he's absolutely miserable at finishing in a crowd.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I think finishing at the rim/through contact is a much bigger issue than his jumper. He's actually a good shooter when he takes good shots, but he's absolutely miserable at finishing in a crowd.

Good point. Which leads to a strength issue (specifically at the next level).

Reaction Score
The number of people on this message board so willingly easy to give up a wheelbarrow full of money for a kid based on the speculation that the wheelbarrow might be fuller next year is... pretty great. I understand it's in our best interest if he stays, but the kid certainly will attract some attention, and I'm not going to sit here and pretend I would've stayed at UConn for another year if someone was offering me a bunch of money.
Lots of kids who leave before their ready end up ith an empty wheelbarrow.
That's a tragedy,
1If Hamilton is not a first round pick this year ,but will be drafted 2nd round.
2,He won't even be drafted.
If it's the former he has got a decision to make,if the latter returning is a must.
The third question is can he be a first rounder next year. Does he have the basics but needs too improve in specific skills.
He is a prototypical three ( could even play some Two) who is a below average shooter. He is also not very strong.
Hopefully he listens to KO who probably understands what it takes as well as anybody.
If he combines additional strength with improved shooting he could go very high next year. For him the reward of returning is worth the year.
Now if he is projected as a first rounder this year than all bets are off.

Reaction Score
You don't need to be unsure of your stock to test the waters and gain exposure, do some workouts, and get feedback. There is literally no downside to doing so.
There is no downside youre right , my point is he's had plenty of exposure and this isn't about getting new evaluations (for instance makai Mason was unknown until last weekend, played in zero camps and was not in the circuit , rarely played in front of league personnel @ Yale. HE needs some evaluations) , but more about taking the next step in his career from what I've heard FWIW. We'll see how it pans out though

Reaction Score
Lots of kids who leave before their ready end up ith an empty wheelbarrow.
That's a tragedy,
1If Hamilton is not a first round pick this year ,but will be drafted 2nd round.
2,He won't even be drafted.
If it's the former he has got a decision to make,if the latter returning is a must.
The third question is can he be a first rounder next year. Does he have the basics but needs too improve in specific skills.
He is a prototypical three ( could even play some Two) who is a below average shooter. He is also not very strong.
Hopefully he listens to KO who probably understands what it takes as well as anybody.
If he combines additional strength with improved shooting he could go very high next year. For him the reward of returning is worth the year.
Now if he is projected as a first rounder this year than all bets are off.

He has zero chance of being a first rounder. If he can continue to improve his dribbling and defense he has an excellent chance of going into the first round next year. I see him as a backup 2 at the next level.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

If I wasnt lazy Id look up his 3 point percentage from March 1st on. Seemed he started to find his stroke from deep.

Reaction Score
Some of the responses in this thread are bewildering.

Yes, this is 100% the right move for him to make. He'll get feedback and will be able to compare himself to his peers in the combine to see where his stock is at.

He has 0% chance of going in the first round this year, but a very high probability of going in the 2nd round. NBA teams would love to draft a 20yo prospect with high upside and stash him in the D-league. The question is, does he want to sacrifice another year developing his game as the #1 player on an NCAA tourney caliber team to do that? (Note: This is where Ollie's pro-style offense is a HUGE upside for the program. Why would a player in his position come back to system that doesn't develop players/translate to the professional ranks a la Syracuse. Those players are better suited going to the D-league and playing in pro-style offense/defense)

Returning for his junior season at Uconn will undoubtedly increase his chances of becoming a first round pick in 2017. BUT, there are no guarantees. What is guaranteed is a 6 figure salary to play pro ball overseas waiting for him should he leave today.

Here is the most important and relevant info: Daniel Hamilton turns 21 in August. He essentially has a 10 year window (give or take) as a professional player to earn a living. Does he sacrifice a year of that, while risking injury, to come back to Uconn to improve his stock for a shot at the guaranteed 3-4 year contract that comes with being a 1st round pick? If he is told that he doesn't have a realistic shot at being a 2017 1st rounder, then he should go pro immediately. If he does have 2017 1st round potential (personally I think he does, mid to late), or if he wants to maximize his chances of making it to the NBA, or hell, if he just wants to further develop his game before jumping to any pro league, then he will probably return.

I think he does return in the end. Another year in school as the unquestioned leader and alpha dog, adding 10-15lbs to his frame, and working on his jump shot will certainly do wonders for his game. Do we have a shot at a title without him? Nope. Will I hold it against him? Nope. Hope he becomes filthy rich one way or another. He was the first big recruit to commit to Ollie/Uconn when the program was at its lowest and most uncertain - before that 2014 title run. Left California to come to cold Storrs and compete in a middling conference outside the P5. He's a Husky for life, a made man in mafia terms.

I think this will be a very tough call to make for his advisors considering where he is projected today for the 2017 draft (using Draft Express). So much depends on who leaves this year. Every player decision across the country will have consequences to Daniel Hamilton. I think there is a window for Hamilton to play himself into the 1st round in 2017 with improvement of his shot/defender if he returns to UConn. In my opinion it might be worth the risk to return to school for one more year with the hopes of staying injury free and improving his game (he is not at his ceiling). Reasonable arguments can be made either way as it relates to D Ham. It will be a tough climb into the 2017 1st round....but if he falls short he will be in a better position to stick with a team as a 2nd round draft pick.

Reaction Score
If I wasnt lazy Id look up his 3 point percentage from March 1st on. Seemed he started to find his stroke from deep.

Season: 33.1%
After March 1: 34.5%

Not really all that significant.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Season: 33.1%
After March 1: 34.5%

Not really all that significant.

hmm. Just seemed that way I guess. Id like to see him at 38.

Reaction Score
In this scenario, I think its a tough situation to not consider playing pro ball in europe making good $$ or coming back for another year of college.

Reaction Score
Some of the responses in this thread are bewildering.

Yes, this is 100% the right move for him to make. He'll get feedback and will be able to compare himself to his peers in the combine to see where his stock is at.

He has 0% chance of going in the first round this year, but a very high probability of going in the 2nd round. NBA teams would love to draft a 20yo prospect with high upside and stash him in the D-league. The question is, does he want to sacrifice another year developing his game as the #1 player on an NCAA tourney caliber team to do that? (Note: This is where Ollie's pro-style offense is a HUGE upside for the program. Why would a player in his position come back to system that doesn't develop players/translate to the professional ranks a la Syracuse. Those players are better suited going to the D-league and playing in pro-style offense/defense)

Returning for his junior season at Uconn will undoubtedly increase his chances of becoming a first round pick in 2017. BUT, there are no guarantees. What is guaranteed is a 6 figure salary to play pro ball overseas waiting for him should he leave today.

Here is the most important and relevant info: Daniel Hamilton turns 21 in August. He essentially has a 10 year window (give or take) as a professional player to earn a living. Does he sacrifice a year of that, while risking injury, to come back to Uconn to improve his stock for a shot at the guaranteed 3-4 year contract that comes with being a 1st round pick? If he is told that he doesn't have a realistic shot at being a 2017 1st rounder, then he should go pro immediately. If he does have 2017 1st round potential (personally I think he does, mid to late), or if he wants to maximize his chances of making it to the NBA, or hell, if he just wants to further develop his game before jumping to any pro league, then he will probably return.

I think he does return in the end. Another year in school as the unquestioned leader and alpha dog, adding 10-15lbs to his frame, and working on his jump shot will certainly do wonders for his game. Do we have a shot at a title without him? Nope. Will I hold it against him? Nope. Hope he becomes filthy rich one way or another. He was the first big recruit to commit to Ollie/Uconn when the program was at its lowest and most uncertain - before that 2014 title run. Left California to come to cold Storrs and compete in a middling conference outside the P5. He's a Husky for life, a made man in mafia terms.

I agree with most of your post, except for the bolded part. If he wasn't the alpha dog this past year, he's never going to be. It's not his personality.

The alpha dog will be (or at least should be) Jalen Adams. That said, Hamilton is still better served coming back, refining his game, and trying to work his way into the first round.

This program needs to get back to putting its best players in the draft lottery, or at least the first round with a high probability of sticking around for a second contract. The last one of those we've had is Drummond, and that was 4 years ago.

Reaction Score
It's actually an incredibly easy decision, he's nowhere near ready for the NBA and has to come back. Always good to work out for the experts and get the feedback on what you need to improve upon, this should help DHam for next season at UConn.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
In this scenario, I think its a tough situation to not consider playing pro ball in europe making good $$ or coming back for another year of college.
No, that's a very easy decision. He will be an NBA player, just not right now. Playing in college puts him on a much bigger stage than anywhere overseas.

Reaction Score
There is no downside youre right , my point is he's had plenty of exposure and this isn't about getting new evaluations (for instance makai Mason was unknown until last weekend, played in zero camps and was not in the circuit , rarely played in front of league personnel @ Yale. HE needs some evaluations) , but more about taking the next step in his career from what I've heard FWIW. We'll see how it pans out though

You get in front of the right set of eyes on the right day, you can change people's minds, and if he's in the top 60 or so prospects, he gets invited to the combine, and I don't see how that can't be good. Even if he performs poorly in workouts, he'll have all of next year to change people's minds, but if he changes their minds already, he can get drafted or a promise, etc.

Reaction Score
You get in front of the right set of eyes on the right day, you can change people's minds, and if he's in the top 60 or so prospects, he gets invited to the combine, and I don't see how that can't be good. Even if he performs poorly in workouts, he'll have all of next year to change people's minds, but if he changes their minds already, he can get drafted or a promise, etc.
How many prospects 30-60 actually make it?

Reaction Score
He would be a fool for not putting his name in to get feedback, and KO would be doing him a disservice if he did not force him to.

There is no extenuating circumstances that I am aware of which would force him to chase a paycheck, so I trust whatever decision he and KO make after they get feedback will be the right one.

Reaction Score
It is a tough call. Why? The rookie salary caps have really changed the math. It used to be really lucrative to stay in school to become a top pick and get a huge contract. That doesn't exist anymore as even the top pick gets < $5 million per year and pick # 15 gets $1.6 million per year.

Thus, the real question is where is the best place to develop your game for the NBA: college, NBA bench, D-league, or overseas? In my opinion, the best place is at UConn as Hamilton needs more strength, improved shooting, and better ball handling.

Look at Lamb. Similar build to Hamilton, Lamb is a much better shooter, but not as good of a distributor. He has struggled to carve out a role in the NBA. Without a consistent outside shot, Hamilton would struggle to make an NBA rotation.

I hope he returns, but I understand if he doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom