Hamilton signs with Sam Goldfeder | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Hamilton signs with Sam Goldfeder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Look at this year's draft. It is pretty bad. He may go around 40th.

Reaction Score
I'm sure academics contributed to the decision (and I realize we're all just speculating), but that's just one aspect to the college experience. For a kid like Hamilton, he was 3,000 miles from home living in a diametrically different culture than the one he had grown up in. I think it's telling that, at the current juncture, he's in LA and not Storrs. Seems to me that irrespective of academics, he's more comfortable there.

Of course I could be completely wrong. Maybe he loved living in Storrs...I just don't get that sense.

And it's important that we don't conflate an apparent lifestyle choice with a lack of dedication to the program or University. This doesn't mean he was never all in or that he was biding his time here...you can be genuinely attached to your teammates, coaches, and the cause of winning while also acting in accordance with your personal comfort. (see post 250 for what I mean here)

Reaction Score
From what I hear he did not like the academic side of things. I will say this Calhoun usually got good draft outcomes for non senior players - regardless of who gets the credit or fault the jury is still out on KO successfully influencing that.

We're definitely at a nadir of NBA relevance for our alums, and this doesn't help.

Our NBA hopefuls over the last 4 years have gone:
- Late first round (gift from Lebron), traded after 1 year, now a series of DNPs
- Second round/overseas [for a former Top 10 recruit]
- Undrafted
- Likely second round or undrafted

We have basically 3 guys carrying the flag in the NBA -- Rudy, Kemba, and Drummond. The lack of presence from the 2006 and 2009-10 draft classes (sans Rudy) hasn't helped, but we've generated a big fat zero so far in the NBA under KO's watch.

Reaction Score
@Tenspro2002 Hard to frame being 3000 miles from home and grandma passing away, the primary reasons for those rumors, as always having one foot out the door.

@Chief00 only non-seniors to go to the draft so far have been DeAndre and Daniel. Not much else for KO to do after advising both of them to return to school. Convinced Shabazz and Boat to return and that worked out for both of them.

Reaction Score
I hope D Ham gets a first rd pick. He is a guy who can play PG @ 6-7. IF he improved his jumpshot--hes a guy who couldve jumped into the 2017 lottery. Maybe there is a team picking 20-30 who gave him a thumbs up?

Hurts for the team next year any way we want to spin it. I dont like these new rules--I think it just leaves the door open for a young man to over think his position.

Were losing what mightve been a candidate for an all American with an improved jumpshot upperclassmen with built in chemistry especially with Amida --it stings.

He couldn't play point guard in the American athletic conference. And he's going to in the nba? One of our biggest knocks this year was we had no point guard. His idea of running point is standing still pounding the ball at the top of the key, going right cutting left, spinning back right, then throwing a lob or off balance contested shot.

He has a nice all around game but is far from excelling at any one thing. Except maybe rebounding. But nobody is drafting him for that reason as a 2/3.
Lamb and Daniels were both significanrly longer, much better shooters, and more skilled offensively as far as creating their own shot than d ham and Daniels hasn't made the NBA and lamb has struggled to find consistent minutes.

He has average speed and athleticism. No position. Short arms. Average shooter. Terrible terrible defender. That screams NBA?

Terrible decision if his goal is to make the NBA. If he's fine playing in the d league or in Europe then best of luck to him.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
He's gonna miss out on the fixed patoni tiles though.

Good luck to him, it's his choice in the end and not even KO was going to be able to sway him if his mind was already made up. Hoping Rodney returns.

caw

Reaction Score
He couldn't play point guard in the American athletic conference. And he's going to in the nba? One of our biggest knocks this year was we had no point guard. His idea of running point is standing still pounding the ball at the top of the key, going right cutting left, spinning back right, then throwing a lob or off balance contested shot.

He has a nice all around game but is far from excelling at any one thing. Except maybe rebounding. But nobody is drafting him for that reason as a 2/3.
Lamb and Daniels were both significanrly longer, much better shooters, and more skilled offensively as far as creating their own shot than d ham and Daniels hasn't made the NBA and lamb has struggled to find consistent minutes.

He has average speed and athleticism. No position. Short arms. Average shooter. Terrible terrible defender. That screams NBA?

Terrible decision if his goal is to make the NBA. If he's fine playing in the d league or in Europe then best of luck to him.

Daniels and Lamb were/are both thinner though. Also, Daniels got injured in Australia. Lambs issues are more mental. Neither are good comparisons for Hamilton at all. If Lamb had Hamiltons BBIQ he would be a starter at the least.

Reaction Score
Daniels and Lamb were/are both thinner though. Also, Daniels got injured in Australia. Lambs issues are more mental. Neither are good comparisons for Hamilton at all. If Lamb had Hamiltons BBIQ he would be a starter at the least.

This is crazy talk. Lamb won a NC - watch some replays to see a high BBIQ - like when he had that last minute steal on SDSU. Lamb going to OKC wasn't great for his development when KD and RW were fighting for shots & possession. Lamb is in and making millions. We want this for DHam but seems like a low probability.

Reaction Score
I feel like Hamilton's decision is like that old SNL bad idea jeans commercial. Guys sitting around a basketball court supporting bad idea after bad idea.

caw

Reaction Score
This is crazy talk. Lamb won a NC - watch some replays to see a high BBIQ - like when he had that last minute steal on SDSU. Lamb going to OKC wasn't great for his development when KD and RW were fighting for shots & possession. Lamb is in and making millions. We want this for DHam but seems like a low probability.

The SDSU steal was great but more a feat of his insane length than some great defensive IQ. Lambs issues are mostly his lack of attention to detail on defense and shot vision. Hamilton has less natural gifts than Lamb but I think showed more improvement in his defensive ability/positioning in one year than Lamb has in 5. Lamb still has much higher upside than DHam because he is a better athlete, with better length and has better form on his shot, but DHam reads the game better.

Reaction Score
Lamb was drafted 12th and signed a 3 year $21m extension in 2015 - I like that BBIQ. You need to be in a position to show that BBIQ - We want D-Ham to get that opportunity. You look at that 2016 draft board & 2017 and if you are not in the NBA on a roster by 2018 you are a distant memory.

Reaction Score
We're definitely at a nadir of NBA relevance for our alums, and this doesn't help.

- Late first round (gift from Lebron), traded after 1 year, now a series of DNPs
- Undrafted

We have basically 3 guys carrying the flag in the NBA -- Rudy, Kemba, and Drummond. The lack of presence from the 2006 and 2009-10 draft classes (sans Rudy) hasn't helped, but we've generated a big fat zero so far in the NBA under KO's watch.

He's been the coach for 4 years, inherited non-NBA talent other than Bazz who always had limited NBA upside due to his physical traits, and has had recruiting classes his first couple of years compromised by a ban, contract situation in flux, and recruiting sanctions. How in the world are you holding it against him that he hasn't put a slew of prospects in the NBA during this time period?

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I've supported every kid leaving early save for Josh Boone. It's not about selfishness, it's a two way street. If a kid is ready, go for it. From Donyell to Ray to RIP to Caron to Kemba..................., never had a problem with kids leaving, like to see them succeed at the next level.

Lamb was a lottery pick, please don't compare him the Hamilton.

Was puzzled by Thabeet, but thought it was time to leave. Evidently, we knew more than NBA scouts on that one who made him the second pick. If Ham is going to be the 2nd pick, or a lottery pick, or maybe even just a 1st round pick with some guaranteed money, he should leave. He's not any of those YET

One month ago he was benched for turning it over 3 times in five minutes vs S Fla. In February, he's dribbling behind his back into a triple team and taking bad three's early in the shot clock. He played better, but not lottery pick better in the last 5 games. He gave us (me) some hope he could become a lottery pick next year with significant improvement.

The NBA is not kind to projects, and he's not ready. My eye test, admittedly not worth much, says he's not ready. NBA draft boards say he's not ready, and Kevin told him to come back a year. That's all I need to know.

I understand it's his decision, it appears his family is prone to make bad decisions on and off the court. They think they know more than the people with actual experience who are looking out for their family member, it happens.

I wish him well, but I'm still going to scratch my head.

And "IF" he leaves in bad academic standing while not getting drafted, then my opinion about him will change.

Good luck Danial, may the force be with you.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Ultimately, the team is the team from First Night until the last L and it's wasted energy to worry about what happens in the interim with respect to transfers, early departures, etc.
I know this and say it, too, but I don't follow it myself. I wish I could, but I get caught up in expectations and projections whether I want to or not. I've gotten very good at ignoring most of the recruiting stuff, but once they put on our uniform and I put them in the picture, it's hard for me to delete it mentally.

I do think that this will pay dividends for us two seasons from now, but it definitely creates a lot more uncertainty for next season--especially if Rodney leaves, too. I can deal with that once I set my expectations, but I know that the frustrated impatience in this place is going to drive me crazy when KO and various players get ripped for the inevitable bumps in the road as we try to work in several major new pieces once again.

Reaction Score
See ya. Tired of these kids labeled 'so talented' yet can't translate that into wins.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
putting it into numbers, FWIW

CBS, the 95th best player

DraftExpress, the 21st best Sophomore, pick number 53 in the 2017 (next year) draft

NBAdraft.net 40 to undrafted

2nd team all AAC (think about that for a second)

can't find one article calling it a good decision, easy to find somebody calling it a mistake

how much up front money from an agent bought him? 20k? 50k? I'm speculating the family is focused on some chump change, thinking their dreams came true

I'm beginning to feel bad for the kid, seriously

Curiouser
Reaction Score
how much up front money from an agent bought him? 20k? 50k? I'm speculating the family is focused on some chump change, thinking their dreams came true

I'm beginning to feel bad for the kid, seriously
I don't think that's true at all. I think he just really didn't like being a college student. I don't feel badly for him; this is clearly what he wanted.

Reaction Score

If the report that Hamilton only took two classes this semester is correct, then there wasn't really a decision to make. I hope this doesn't hurt our APR too much.

Reaction Score
What's done is done. I wish him the best of luck. Nobody should knock him for making his choice, not ours.

The real thread should be what do we do with the three open schollies now, and how do we fill D Ham's spot. I'm certainly not happy to hear this news, but I don't think the sky is falling. We already have two SFs who can contribute right away - Larrier and Jackson (I think he will be ready), and I think this just makes us more of a guard dominated team, with Gilbert and Adams getting the ball in their hands. Last year the offense could get stagnant at times on D Ham isos. Next year I think the ball moves much more, and in theory, we should get out in transition more (I've been waiting on the team playing faster for years tho, so I won't hold my breath on that).

3 spots to fill - nobody will come in and contribute like D Ham - not realistic at all, but we can add depth and if Rodney and Brimah come back, I think we're still top 15 good. Hopefully Durham is healthy enough to play, and contribute, because we may need him now.

Reaction Score
2 courses? Where was the coach staff? He may have benefited from a 'decision theory' class. The APR crapola to follow will put Trump on the rear pages. Fasten the seat belts.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In life one is always faced with having to do stuff they don't like or enjoy doing. Successful people do what they need to do, even if it is uncomfortable or inconvenient. This kid is not going to succeed, in my opinion, relative to his ability. If he is lucky enough to go in the first round, his rookie contract will be his only NBA contract. That is just my prediction.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

- Undrafted

A big fat zero under KO's watch = lets get rid of KO - its all his fault
The Tens beat goes on

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Making a steal = BBIQ
Damn I used to steal a lot of BBs when I was playing as a kid = I must be a genius!!!!

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
He's been the coach for 4 years, inherited non-NBA talent other than Bazz who always had limited NBA upside due to his physical traits, and has had recruiting classes his first couple of years compromised by a ban, contract situation in flux, and recruiting sanctions. How in the world are you holding it against him that he hasn't put a slew of prospects in the NBA during this time period?
Because Tens has an agenda against KO
Join the chatroom sometime

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
Im upset about it and i think hes making a grave mistake but talking with my old man earlier in the season he felt like dham was an outsider on the team with no true friends. Having no homeys 3000 miles away from where you grew up may have had an influence on this decision. I wish him luck but damn, im sour on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom