Hamilton signs with Sam Goldfeder | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Hamilton signs with Sam Goldfeder

Status
Not open for further replies.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Yikes, alright guys I didn't realize I strung together the "Hamilton made a mistake" sentence with the "it's the staff's job to gauge a player's prospects" sentence. You are all right, I was wrong. Please leave me alone.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Ultimately, it just sounds like DHam didn't want to be in school anymore, and there's nothing KO could've done to prevent that.

After mulling this over all evening, this is the conclusion I've come to as well.

I think the decision was more personal than based on an actual analytical look at his draft chances.

Seems to me, and I could be wrong, that going to school (maybe UConn, maybe in general) wasn't something he wanted to do anymore.

I think we take for granted sometimes that these guys aren't professional athletes and that their lives at UConn are spent on more things than just 40 minutes on the court at a time.

I think we're all pretty judgmental to criticize Hamilton and his family for this decision.

Hamilton himself has said where he's picked doesn't matter. It's doesn't seem to me that he has delusions of grandeur waiting for a lottery pick.

The guy simply wanted to move on to a professional basketball career whether in NBA, D League or Europe.

Reaction Score
I doubt the doesn't want to be a student argument. These guys get all the help in the world with academics which have gotten easier. Edmund Saunders was able to do the school work!!

Reaction Score
Have to agree with the general consensus that while I wish DHam all the best, he is not ready. Not strong enough, does not shoot well enough and disappears too many times. He'll be a second round pick at best. Ollie wanted him to stay; but, sounds like he was done with school and/or is listening to the wrong people who have imaginary dollar signs in their eyes. Another year to get stronger and to be on a team that could go very deep in the Dance would have elevated him to the first r9und. All well. He's an adult and this his decision right or wrong to make.

Reaction Score
It might be as simple as him wanting to be a professional athlete rather than a college student. This isn't rocket surgery.
Which makes this decision more baffling. He had the perfect platform to truly make that happen. Instead, he chose a much harder path.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Alpha Diallo won't cut it as a replacement to DHam, frankly. If Ollie were to bring in say, Vital, Diallo and Sheldon Jeter it isn't enough. We need a proven wing who can create for himself and score.

Hope it works out but the pessimist in me thinks his family rushed yet another decision. As of now our rebounding is going to be atrocious next year.
Provided RP comes back, the rebounding loss is my biggest concern as well.

Reaction Score
Which makes this decision more baffling. He had the perfect platform to truly make that happen. Instead, he chose a much harder path.

He's taking two online classes this semester. This decision was made a long time ago.

Reaction Score

I didn't mean "NBA player." Just a guy who gets paid to hoop, which he'll be next season no matter where he ends up.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Horrible, horrible decision. I love DHam but if he goes now at best he'll be God Shammgod 2.0

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
It's crazy how posters are taking this personally lmao. His dream is the NBA let him do what he wants. Its puerile to hold a grudge because he didn't stay at your university and play for zilch.
Very nice use of the word "puerile" haven't seen that in print in quite a while!

Reaction Score
Yikes. Fellas, let's not go crazy with the ridiculous takes.
Crack, no spitting match here but if you are going to call me out please use my entire take and not just what suits your needs. Many have posted on his lack of academic investment and I for one do not think it is crazy or ridiculous to mention it. This with such a crazy and ridiculous move on his part. It would also be nice if you could point out what you feel is crazy and ridiculous. Here is was I stated...

Obviously with his class load he has no interest in being a student athlete, it does not reflect well at all on the school or the staff. I will stop with the slander and hope he comes forward with who he is getting advice from in order to save others from making a similar mistake. I will also wish him well and hope he does not get injured in a try out or pick-up game before the date he could have waited to announce.
I will also hope and pray for him whoever negotiates his contract wherever he lands is not the same person that left over seven weeks of you can change your mind time on the table.

Woof 101, Today at 8:30 PM Report

Curiouser
Reaction Score
It might be as simple as him wanting to be a professional athlete rather than a college student. This isn't rocket surgery.
Of course it's that simple. But the near-consensus that this is a terrible decision as a means for him to reach that goal meaningfully suggests that he really didn't like being a college student, which, in retrospect may help explain the enigma he appeared to be.

For me, it's hard not to look back with a much different view knowing that he was biding his time here. Not that there's anything wrong with that; I just thought he signed up for something different. I was wrong.

Reaction Score
Analysis from CBS Sports:
It's commendable that Hamilton wants to help out his family. There is absolutely money out there for him to make, and he has a right to it. But given the legitimately projectable parts of his game that could lead to a much better chance of a guaranteed contract next season, this might be a bit of a regrettable decision if things don't totally go his way.

2016 NBA Draft: Daniel Hamilton declares, putting UConn in bind

Reaction Score
Of course it's that simple. But the near-consensus that this is a terrible decision as a means for him to reach that goal meaningfully suggests that he really didn't like being a college student, which, in retrospect may help explain the enigma he appeared to be.

For me, it's hard not to look back with a much different view knowing that he was biding his time here. Not that there's anything wrong with that; I just thought he signed up for something different. I was wrong.

the way this is all rolling now does seem to explain a tremendous amount.

Reaction Score
I didn't mean "NBA player." Just a guy who gets paid to hoop, which he'll be next season no matter where he ends up.
Sticks is getting paid to play hoops. DHam had a chance to make set for life money. I get what you are saying but you don't make the decision he did, with the ability he has, simply because you want to get paid for playing. You go to a place like UConn to maximize potential. DHam is one of a few people who decided not to.

swami7774

I know things.
Reaction Score
Strikes me as another case of an extended family pressuring a kid to jump way too early.

Reaction Score
Crack, no spitting match here but if you are going to call me out please use my entire take and not just what suits your needs. Many have posted on his lack of academic investment and I for one do not think it is crazy or ridiculous to mention it. This with such a crazy and ridiculous move on his part. It would also be nice if you could point out what you feel is crazy and ridiculous. Here is was I stated...

Obviously with his class load he has no interest in being a student athlete, it does not reflect well at all on the school or the staff. I will stop with the slander and hope he comes forward with who he is getting advice from in order to save others from making a similar mistake. I will also wish him well and hope he does not get injured in a try out or pick-up game before the date he could have waited to announce.
I will also hope and pray for him whoever negotiates his contract wherever he lands is not the same person that left over seven weeks of you can change your mind time on the table.

Woof 101, Today at 8:30 PM Report

I could have quoted your entire post and that sentence still would have been, to me, ridiculous. It's a reflection on Daniel Hamilton, that's all.

Reaction Score

I think I've just come to expect kids who come in with the accolades of a Hamilton to be on a year to year deal, whether they should be one and done or not. If they come back for year 2 or 3 or 4 it's a bonus, but I got tired of the hand wringing around these decisions. It's probably why I don't really follow recruiting all that much anymore. Ultimately, the team is the team from First Night until the last L and it's wasted energy to worry about what happens in the interim with respect to transfers, early departures, etc.

Reaction Score
There isn't much to analyze, it's a young guy making a really dumb decision. It's too bad because it's most likely going to cost him a tremendous amount of money and a chance at his dream. He will still make money playing a game which isn't bad, I just fear he won't be looking at this decision too fondly down the road.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I doubt the doesn't want to be a student argument. These guys get all the help in the world with academics which have gotten easier. Edmund Saunders was able to do the school work!!

Maybe he just wants to play hoops and not even think about schoolwork?
All the help doesn't do squat if you don't want to do any of it
I think DHam is one of those kids that didn't do schoolwork and maybe skated by?

Reaction Score
There isn't much to analyze, it's a young guy making a really dumb decision. It's too bad because it's most likely going to cost him a tremendous amount of money and a chance at his dream. He will still make money playing a game which isn't bad, I just fear he won't be looking at this decision too fondly down the road.

I don't think it's dumb, nor do I think he will regret it. He is a legit NBA talent, it's all up to him how much he works to improve. Maybe officially signing with an agent is the incentive he needs. College is not for everybody.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
This decision certainly makes sense after how the season went. It always seemed like he cared more about showcasing himself than winning. He better not screw our APT or he's dead to me like Gavin Edwards.

Reaction Score
This decision certainly makes sense after how the season went. It always seemed like he cared more about showcasing himself than winning. He better not screw our APT or he's dead to me like Gavin Edwards.

That would me more of a concern to me, I agree

Reaction Score
Damn. I wish him the best of luck, but selfishly, this sucks.
This. Wouldve liked to have seen him come back but it appears not to be. I mean did anyone seriously think he`d be coming back? I doubt he gets picked any lower than 15.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom