Hamilton signs with Sam Goldfeder | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Hamilton signs with Sam Goldfeder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Obviously with his class load he has no interest in being a student athlete, it does not reflect well at all on the school or the staff. I will stop with the slander and hope he comes forward with who he is getting advice from in order to save others from making a similar mistake. I will also wish him well and hope he does not get injured in a try out or pick-up game before the date he could have waited to announce.
I will also hope and pray for him whoever negotiates his contract wherever he lands is not the same person that left over seven weeks of you can change your mind time on the table.

Reaction Score
Obviously with his class load he has no interest in being a student athlete, it does not reflect well at all on the school or the staff. I will stop with the slander and hope he comes forward with who he is getting advice from in order to save others from making a similar mistake. I will also wish him well and hope he does not get injured in a try out or pick-up game before the date he could have waited to announce.
I will also hope and pray for him whoever negotiates his contract wherever he lands is not the same person that left over seven weeks of you can change your mind time on the table.

If he didn't want to be in college any more then it's better for him that he left and it's better for the locker room. It sucks losing him, but it is what it is.

tdrink

Pessimistic idealist
Reaction Score
I will wish him luck.

Maybe this is a bad decision. If he isn't happy here ( or in college in general) and another year or 2 didn't raise his stock it would be end up being right to leave sooner. Kind of a big gamble though.

Did I hear the scouts saying he needed to work on his decision making? Off to tough start.

Reaction Score
wow, this seems terrible when you have an option to go to the combine and see what is up first. I don't think this is going to go well for him. I really hope it does though for his sake. Good luck Daniel.

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
Normally I think if I a guy has a chance at guarenteed money, even if it's 50/50 he has reason enough to go. Yet I've now processed this DHam news for an hour now and I can't help but feel that this is a horrible mistake by Daniel and the UConn staff as well. It's the staff's job, especially our head coach who went undrafted himself and only had a career in the US due to his pure grit and grind. It's Ollie's responsibility to communicate with his players and get on their level mentally (which on paper no other coach in D1 should be able to like KO), yet it seems their efforts were futile and I think this decision will really hurt Hamilton.

That being said, if he sticks with this decision I will pray for him to be drafted as high as possible, I hope he has a successful career playing basketball.
What you’ve just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
I'm surprised, but not shocked. It may be that he talked to some NBA personnel people and they told him things that I believe are true regarding Hamilton:
  • That he's got an NBA future if he has the desire, and if it's a little early for him he wouldn't be the first guy to declare a bit early.
  • That he needs mainly to work on his shooting; his rebounding, court vision and passing are there.
  • That even if he doesn't get drafted he'll definitely be on somebody's summer league roster and have a chance to make a mark.
  • That you can get paid, even if it's in Europe.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
What you’ve just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
What about my post prompted that overused meme?

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Maybe the worst early entry decision by a Husky. I really can't think of a worse one. Daniels? KEA? I don't think either had the potential draft upside that DHam is throwing away.

Best of luck, and I hope he makes it. I wish he wasn't making it harder for himself but oh well.

Reaction Score
Maybe so, I just can't help but feel like there isn't a single public source on this info that even has him projected to be drafted, let alone in the first round. Usually when your family pushes you out early it's because there's a SLIGHT chance you may go first, so they tell you to roll the dice. But in Daniels case it's not even a potential second rounder, he's not even on the board, which makes me feel there's more to the story.

This decision is just so perplexing to me, I can't think straight.
Now that he has declared, there are some articles coming out (over on rivals and a Borges article) with comments from some NBA scouts. All scouts agree that he should've returned for another year, but say that he'll be an NBA player. One even says he could be a 1st rounder.

Ultimately, it just sounds like DHam didn't want to be in school anymore, and there's nothing KO could've done to prevent that.

Reaction Score
It's crazy how posters are taking this personally lmao. His dream is the NBA let him do what he wants. Its puerile to hold a grudge because he didn't stay at your university and play for zilch.
I think most are just bummed out for the kid. Ollie is a million times closer with the kid than any of us and I bet he's really disappointed for Daniel right about now.

BUHusky

Reaction Score
What about my post prompted that overused meme?
Pretty much all of it. But if you you want specifics it was your conclusion that how this is somehow "a horrible mistake" by the UConn staff. And then your rant about how it is Ollie's "responsibility" to get on their level mentally. Wtf are you talking about.

Reaction Score
I agree tcf, seems like all the early entrants have caught this sick of school bug. Hope DHam is the only one to get an agent. I also hope he completes his courses this semester.

Reaction Score
Maybe so, I just can't help but feel like there isn't a single public source on this info that even has him projected to be drafted, let alone in the first round. Usually when your family pushes you out early it's because there's a SLIGHT chance you may go first, so they tell you to roll the dice. But in Daniels case it's not even a potential second rounder, he's not even on the board, which makes me feel there's more to the story.

This decision is just so perplexing to me, I can't think straight.
What else would you like Ollie to do? Tie his hands to the Jonathan statue outside Gampel?

BUConn10

Reaction Score
Pretty much all of it. But if you you want specifics it was your conclusion that how this is somehow "a horrible mistake" by the UConn staff. And then your rant about how it is Ollie's "responsibility" to get on their level mentally. what are you talking about.
I never said its a horrible mistake by the UConn staff, I said its a horrible mistake by DHam, which I think multiple people have expressed.

As for Ollie communicating with his players, what is so confusing about that? It's a head coaches job to tell his player what's in his best interest professionally, especially when your head coach went undrafted himself and had to struggle to get one year contracts for over a decade.

Again, I don't see how out of the 160+ posts in here you thought mine was soap appalling but that's just you I guess. Whenever news like this comes out people here get hostile towards each other and start trying to take their frustrations out on other posters, so I get it.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I never said its a horrible mistake by the UConn staff, I said its a horrible mistake by DHam, which I think multiple people have expressed.

As for Ollie communicating with his players, what is so confusing about that? It's a head coaches job to tell his player what's in his best interest professionally, especially when your head coach went undrafted himself and had to struggle to get one year contracts for over a decade.

Again, I don't see how out of the 160+ posts in here you thought mine was soap appalling but that's just you I guess.

He communicated with Hamilton. He counseled and gave him advice. It's clear that nothing was swaying him to come back, as much of the evidence concerning his camp and his lack of academic investment backs up.

The emphasis you placed on how much of this was Ollie's fault almost read as if you were satirizing the "blame Ollie for _______" movement of the past two seasons.

BUConn10

Reaction Score
He communicated with Hamilton. He counseled and gave him advice. It's clear that nothing was swaying him to come back, as much of the evidence concerning his camp and his lack of academic investment backs up.

The emphasis you placed on how much of this was Ollie's fault almost read as if you were satirizing the "blame Ollie for _______" movement of the past two seasons.
Definitely didn't think I was putting significant emphasis on it being Ollie's fault but I guess that's my fault for not conveying that point clearly.

I definitely don't think it's Ollie's fault he's leaving, that's preposterous. But to say that a head coach has no right to give input to one of his players' major decision to declare for the NBA draft, then that's crazy talk to me. Calhoun was known well for personally inviting scouts to games and being in constant communication with them to know where his guys stand, all the best coaches do this.

Reaction Score
I definitely don't think it's Ollie's fault he's leaving, that's preposterous. But to say that a head coach has no right to give input to one of his players' major decision to declare for the NBA draft, then that's crazy talk to me.

Hasn't Hamilton already acknowledged that Ollie advised him to come back?

BUHusky

Reaction Score

Again, I don't see how out of the 160+ posts in here you thought mine was soap appalling but that's just you I guess. Whenever news like this comes out people here get hostile towards each other and start trying to take their frustrations out on other posters, so I get it.
Your original post said "I can't help but feel that this is a horrible mistake by Daniel and the UConn staff as well." I wasn't an English major but whatever.

Ollie communicated his opinion to Hamilton that he should come back. What more can Ollie do? In the end it's Hamilton's decision. I don't know what any of that has to do with Ollie's "responsibility to get on his level".

Sure there were some dumb posts before yours, but I don't recall anyone else condemning Ollie and the staff like you chose to do.

Reaction Score
Some folks won't want to hear this, but this should tell you all you need to know about what Daniel Hamilton thinks of Kevin Ollie's ability to make him a better ball player next year. It's pennywise, pound foolish on the surface, but if you think you're better off learning in the DL (where he'll likely wind up), then so be it.

Great statement. Literally true but utterly worthless unless you actually make a case that if the coach was someone else he would think he would get better.

Far more likely he came here to play 1 to 2 years from the beginning, and the fact that he isn't the All American he thought he'd be by now hasn't even factored in. Good luck to him. He doesn't owe any of us anything. But I will be surprised if in 5 years he still thinks this was a good choice.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Definitely didn't think I was putting significant emphasis on it being Ollie's fault but I guess that's my fault for not conveying that point clearly.

I definitely don't think it's Ollie's fault he's leaving, that's preposterous. But to say that a head coach has no right to give input to one of his players' major decision to declare for the NBA draft, then that's crazy talk to me. Calhoun was known well for personally inviting scouts to games and being in constant communication with them to know where his guys stand, all the best coaches do this.

I'm not going to argue with you but you did state:
this is a horrible mistake by Daniel and the UConn staff as well. It's the staff's job, especially our head coach who went undrafted himself and only had a career in the US due to his pure grit and grind. It's Ollie's responsibility to communicate with his players and get on their level mentally (which on paper no other coach in D1 should be able to like KO), yet it seems their efforts were futile and I think this decision will really hurt Hamilton

A horrible mistake by the UConn staff? Do you know what was said/done between the staff, KO and DHam/family?
Do you think KO did not communicate? You inferred by saying it's KO's responsibility that he may not have.
KO has upteen more NBA connections than JC but inferring that all the best coaches invite scouts to games you are guessing that KO didn't do anything like this?
In the end DHam and his group obviously decided (well before today) that he was not returning to UConn - so KO and the staff are at fault for their "futile efforts"? You think they can easily talk someone out of this decision?

As I've said all season, and I do not know if you are one, way too many people on the BY find it so easy to blame KO

Reaction Score
lol before any workouts? Bold strategy, Cotton, lets see if it works for him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member