Hamilton picked by Denver, #56 overall | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Hamilton picked by Denver, #56 overall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
In my opinion, it's a dubious honor to be picked among the last 5 of the second round of the NBA Draft.

In my opinion, Hamilton would have been better off not getting drafted.

In my opinion, Hamilton took some bad advice in hiring an agent, thereby shutting the Purvis/Brimah door.

In my opinion, Hamilton's circumstances indicate he probably shut the door on himself by letting his school work lag in the Spring Semester. Going Pro was a way to help UConn, APR-wise.

In my opinion, Giffey has a better shot than Hamilton of making an impact in the NBA at some point (if he so chooses.).

In my opinion, UConn has a decent shot at a deep run in the NCAA Tournament. However, had Hamilton remained eligible, they would have had a better shot.

In my opinion, UConn would be more entertaining to watch this upcoming season, had Hamilton remained eligible.
In my opinion, your 6th and 7th opinions are incorrect. UCONN will be just fine without him and much less stressful to watch.

Reaction Score
I don't understand how people can continue to say things like this. Staying an extra year absolutely can hurt your stock. This isn't the 90s anymore. Teams aren't drafting ready-made players, by and large - they're drafting guys they think they can turn into stars. An extra year only helps if you develop a lot in that year, otherwise you're just a year older and less desirable.
So where would Buddy Hield been drafted last year? Where did he get drafted this year?

A player takes a risk by returning. If he doesn't improve, his draft stock can drop. Yes,most teams draft on potential. But on the other hand, if a player improves enough, his stock can rise.

I think DHam had enough foundational skills plus one or two areas that he excelled at such as seeing the floor and passing, that if he returned for another year and just improved his shooting, at his size he could have easily been drafted in the first round.

On the flip side, if he didn't improve, he might have dropped out of the draft completely.

And the idea that all teams draft potential, that's flat out false. Depending the team, their need and draft position, some players that the teams know that what they see is likely what they'll get, take that player. Not so much in the lottery, but definitely throughout both rounds.

Lastly, if anyone were to ask DHam if he knew that he'd go in the second round would he have returned to UConn for another season, what would he say? I don't know. My gut tells me, he would answer no, but not admit he made a mistake and was led to believe he'd be a first round pick.

Now I don't think anyone expected so many teams would select foreign players in this year's draft. There was a ton of draft and stash. With that said, I don't think that had much of an impact on where DHam got drafted.

When to enter the draft for most underclassmen is a calculated gamble. The factors they have to weigh are: How high might I go based on my present resume? How high might I go if I do well on my private workouts? How high might I rise or drop if I return for another season? Tied to that question, how much can I improve in the obvious areas that would contribute to my draft stock?

I keep on hearing that many believe DHam just didn't like school. Come on!!! Everyone needs to do things in life they don't like doing to improve their employment situation. Now this is just my opinion,and was the case when I heard he retained the services of an agent, that he would be better off returning for another year. I think he has the ability to improve his shooting if he worked hard at it. I also think that his decision making would have improved and been perceived differently surrounded by more scoring options on this year's UConn team. It would have been wise to leave a few hundred thousand none guaranteed dollars on the table this year for a bucket load of guaranteed millions next year. What's the worst that could happen other than injury? Missing out on the money he will earn this year and possibly have to play overseas and earn a measly couple 100K,give or take some.

I wonder at what point he began to think that signing with his agent was a big mistake? Maybe never. But I doubt it.

I hope it works out for him. I really like DHam and would love to be able to watch him play in the NBA.

Reaction Score
So where would Buddy Hield been drafted last year? Where did he get drafted this year?

A player takes a risk by returning. If he doesn't improve, his draft stock can drop. Yes,most teams draft on potential. But on the other hand, if a player improves enough, his stock can rise.

I think DHam had enough foundational skills plus one or two areas that he excelled at such as seeing the floor and passing, that if he returned for another year and just improved his shooting, at his size he could have easily been drafted in the first round.

On the flip side, if he didn't improve, he might have dropped out of the draft completely.

And the idea that all teams draft potential, that's flat out false. Depending the team, their need and draft position, some players that the teams know that what they see is likely what they'll get, take that player. Not so much in the lottery, but definitely throughout both rounds.

Lastly, if anyone were to ask DHam if he knew that he'd go in the second round would he have returned to UConn for another season, what would he say? I don't know. My gut tells me, he would answer no, but not admit he made a mistake and was led to believe he'd be a first round pick.

Now I don't think anyone expected so many teams would select foreign players in this year's draft. There was a ton of draft and stash. With that said, I don't think that had much of an impact on where DHam got drafted.

When to enter the draft for most underclassmen is a calculated gamble. The factors they have to weigh are: How high might I go based on my present resume? How high might I go if I do well on my private workouts? How high might I rise or drop if I return for another season? Tied to that question, how much can I improve in the obvious areas that would contribute to my draft stock?

I keep on hearing that many believe DHam just didn't like school. Come on!!! Everyone needs to do things in life they don't like doing to improve their employment situation. Now this is just my opinion,and was the case when I heard he retained the services of an agent, that he would be better off returning for another year. I think he has the ability to improve his shooting if he worked hard at it. I also think that his decision making would have improved and been perceived differently surrounded by more scoring options on this year's UConn team. It would have been wise to leave a few hundred thousand none guaranteed dollars on the table this year for a bucket load of guaranteed millions next year. What's the worst that could happen other than injury? Missing out on the money he will earn this year and possibly have to play overseas and earn a measly couple 100K,give or take some.

I wonder at what point he began to think that signing with his agent was a big mistake? Maybe never. But I doubt it.

I hope it works out for him. I really like DHam and would love to be able to watch him play in the NBA.

What even is this? Are you honestly incapable of distinguishing between my disagreeing that staying an extra year can't hurt and this strawman you've invented where players can't improve their stock? What does Hield have to do with this?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

He was drafted in the mid-50's - right about where we might have guessed he'd go when he left.

Given that being drafted that high is arguably worse than going undrafted, the downside for Hamilton was nominal.

MrP

Reaction Score
Why would this settle the debate? It's going to be multiple guys. When Enoch leaves all jacked, is that gonna settle the debate in the opposite direction?

By far and away, the two most important negative factors for Daniels was athleticism/quickness and outside shot. His quickness/athleticism is only going to get marginally better at best.

Someone will certainly correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't DH quoted as saying that he never lifts weights? If so, this debate cannot be settled by this player

Reaction Score
What even is this? Are you honestly incapable of distinguishing between my disagreeing that staying an extra year can't hurt and this strawman you've invented where players can't improve their stock? What does Hield have to do with this?
I wasn't attacking you and even agree with some of your perspective, but it seems you took it that way. It might have hurt DHam if he had returned. Probably not much though. It certainly could have helped like it did with Buddy Hield. I didn't even know who the hell Buddy was a year ago. One year later he's the number 5 pick and is going to sign for a boat load of money. So what is so hard to understand how Buddy Hield's situation has to do with DHam's?

The attacking nature of your reply is exactly what's wrong with the yard lately. It's just not necessary.

Reaction Score
Someone will certainly correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't DH quoted as saying that he never lifts weights? If so, this debate cannot be settled by this player
I think you're thinking of Rip.

Whose example, as a fellow wing, doesn't by itself "settle" any debate, but it does provide quite a good singular foil. Wonder what Chief thinks about Rip's success despite not hitting the iron.

Reaction Score
He was drafted in the mid-50's - right about where we might have guessed he'd go when he left.

Given that being drafted that high is arguably worse than going undrafted, the downside for Hamilton was nominal.
Good point. Just look at many of the past Huskies who stayed for their junior or senior season that had struggled or simply didn't do enough as underclassmen that ended up drafted in the first round, and you just might conclude that DHam might have been better off returning for another year to further develop his game. Frankly I thought he was capable of doing so and was surprised he signed with an agent and stayed in the draft. Maybe I'm very wrong and he wouldn't have improved his game or his stock. We'll never know.

Now if he signs a one year deal, makes an NBA roster, gets enough playing time to improve his shot and decision making, and get a big 2nd contract, then it would support that he made the right decision. If he doesn't stick, and never gets a sniff of the league, we'll never know what might have happened and how much money he left on the table.

Reaction Score
I think you're thinking of Rip.

Whose example, as a fellow wing, doesn't by itself "settle" any debate, but it does provide quite a good singular foil. Wonder what Chief thinks about Rip's success despite not hitting the iron.
Hamilton as a high schooler said he didn't lift weights and only did push ups. He was like a sophomore though so that's irrelevant

Reaction Score

I don't think Hamilton ever honestly expected to go in the 1st round. I think that was a politically correct answer, because he knew he would get skewered for saying "I dunno, I'll probably go 2nd round, maybe undrafted [but I don't really care because I just want to be the hell out of college/UConn]". He had to say he expected to go in the 1st round, whether he actually believed it or not.

What happened (i.e. getting drafted at all) was probably the best Hamilton could have hoped for, just positive enough to save face.

Reaction Score
The one thing he has is a nose for rebounding. Now I don't know how that translates to the NBA but he has court vision too. His long and mid range shooting is bad and he's not a good finisher, also turns over the ball. If he turns into a good shooter I will be glad to be proven wrong.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
In my opinion, your 6th and 7th opinions are incorrect. UCONN will be just fine without him and much less stressful to watch.
How dare you?!?!?!?!?!?

Reaction Score
Compare the incomes of people with college degrees to those without one. They are worth a lot. Most people without one would agree. I think this is a meme adhered to by people with a degree.

As far as college being about education vs career prep, that is another question. But it is a choice each person gets to make. You can use your education as a career move or use it in pursuit of knowledge that is not directly tied to a career.

Yeah they make more money but most are in bigger debt.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Yeah they make more money but most are in bigger debt.

College costs are crazy. I understand.
But this is the ultimate First World problem. College debt does not attack people like cancer. It is a choice. If you chose to spend a quarter of a million dollars on college and study something that has no practical use when you graduate, you have my sympathy, but you are not exactly a victim.
A person with a bachelor's degree earns about $1 million more in a lifetime than a high school grad. They are about half as likely to be unemployed too. It is well worth it.

Unchecked, rising costs are a problem. But there are few investments you will make in your life that are better.

Reaction Score
College costs are crazy. I understand.
But this is the ultimate First World problem. College debt does not attack people like cancer. It is a choice. If you chose to spend a quarter of a million dollars on college and study something that has no practical use when you graduate, you have my sympathy, but you are not exactly a victim.
A person with a bachelor's degree earns about $1 million more in a lifetime than a high school grad. They are about half as likely to be unemployed too. It is well worth it.

Unchecked, rising costs are a problem. But there are few investments you will make in your life that are better.

And also, anyone bringing up that a college degree is just a ticket to debt, in the context of college basketball players with full scholarships, is an idiot and an acehole

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Next years draft is suppose to be one of the best in recent history, so going made sense to him to get a year up on others that will be coming out next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom