Hamilton Handle | The Boneyard

Hamilton Handle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
About a month or two ago there was an argument percolating on the board about Hamilton's handle. I'm not going to dig it up.

I alleged that Hamilton had a very good handle.
Others contended that his handle was mediocre or weak.

Given the tremendous assist/board numbers that he has been putting up, and the damage that he is causing the other team with his constant driving into the lane, does anybody maintain the position that he has something less than a very good handle?

BTW - Just noticed the full box score. In addition to 9 brds, 9assists, and 7 points, kid had 3 steals and 2 blocks.

Now THAT is stuffing the stat sheet. Kid is a gift. He has the most complete game of any Husky I've seen at this stage of his career.

Last edited:

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
About a month or two ago there was an argument percolating on the board about Hamilton's handle. I'm not going to dig it up.

Given the tremendous assist/board numbers that he has been putting up, and the damage that he is causing the other team with his constant driving into the lane, does anybody maintain the position that he has something less than a very good handle?
He has a good handle. Just needs to tighten it up a bit and come up with another move besides the spin in the lane.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

BTW - Just noticed the full box score. In addition to 9 brds, 9assists, and 7 points, kid had 3 steals and 2 blocks.

Now THAT is stuffing the stat sheet. Kid is a gift. He has the most complete game of any Husky I've seen at this stage of his career.

He has a good handle for a forward. He has learned not to try and spin while driving in the middle of the lane. That is where he was getting stripped.

And yes, he has a talent to make plays for himself and others that no one else on the team has.

Reaction Score
He has a very good freshman D1 handle for his size. Notice also he does not fear handling the basketball, regardless on what may have happened the play before. You can't teach that, which I call confidence.

Reaction Score
He has a good handle. Just needs to tighten it up a bit and come up with another move besides the spin in the lane.
He has a good cross-over but doesn't use it much. I would like to see him use it more.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

You're making it seem like nobody agreed with you. I, for one, did.

p.s. Here's the thread: http://www.the-boneyard.com/threads/any-ideas-on-how-to-reduce-turnovers.70858/

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I think it depends on what you consider handle. We absolutely want Dham facilitating and making plays in the half court offense. Howoever, I still get a little nervous when he has to help bring the ball up full court against the press.

Also let me say I am not trying to knock Hamilton I think the kid will be a star.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
He's certainly not a point guard, but for his size and age, he has a very good handle and it's shown improvement which is the best part. A little more tightening and he will be a legit star at this level and probably the next.

I think it's pretty fair to compare him to freshman Caron.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I know it's a handle thread but I was really happy to see a big improvement with his defense.

His free throws on the other hand.....

Reaction Score
Dham is the key going forward. He needs to keep taking charge whether it is scoring on floaters or making alley pop passes after dribbling in the lane to AB. If he continues to develop his bball IQ and knows when to take charge we have a chance for something special even this year.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
Shooting 80% from the line since mid-January.
This. Not many people have noticed, I wasn't sure on the percentage but I knew it was much better since the Temple game although not a ton of attempts to boost his average.

Reaction Score
He's committed the 6th most turnovers in AAC play. Handle still a work in progress.

Reaction Score
He's committed the 6th most turnovers in AAC play. Handle still a work in progress.

Turnovers are not only a result of someones handle. Sure sometimes it plays part but for DHam its his decison making skills like jumping and passing or the spinf move with too many defenders around.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
@fleudslipcon That there is what's called a "pretty good retort." Do you have a reply, or do you yield the point?
semi yield
I'll modify. End of the game free throws. I guess I still have a hangover from the 3 misses at the end of game to get the win.

Reaction Score
By and large having the ability to get into the lane is not a sign of having a great handle. A quick first step and a simple blow-by is all some players need, especially when you have Hamilton's length. Hamilton's handle is still shaky, he doesn't change directions well or have a go-to move/counter-move. He does not have the ball on a string. He does not a reliable crossover yet. In transition he's very shaky. Having a spin move does not mean you have a good handle, far from it. In the grand scheme of things, he has nothing more than an average handle. Relatively speaking. for freshman 6'7 wing you like what you see.

All in all this is kinda pointless since all that matters is that a player gets into the lane, not how they get in there. The kid is a stud and will be the best all-around player we've had at UConn in a long, long time.

Reaction Score
DHam's handle is good for a forward, not so good for a guard. He sometimes plays too fast for his handle/decision making. He sometimes dribbles into trouble he cannot get out of it.

If/when Daniel better understands his limitations, he should be be a beast. I would also allow him the handle the ball frequently to get better. His up side is through the roof. Heck, he is already a superior college player. Looking forward to watching him continue to grow.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
@NeillOstrout: UConn's Daniel Hamilton named AAC freshman of the week.

AtlHusky

Let's go outside our minds and play
Reaction Score

He has improved his FT%, but 80% isn't quite accurate. His FT% for the season is 61.5% (32 of 52).

2014 - 52% on 11 of 21
2015 - 68% on 21 of 31

OOC - 61% on 11 of 18
AAC - 62% on 21 of 34

He had a 4 game stretch in Jan where he didn't shoot any. Following that stretch, starting with the Cincy away game on 1/29, he's at 73% (on 16 of 22) after going 1-3 yesterday. Before yesterday, that same stretch was 79% on 15 of 19.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom