Hamidou Diallo Graduates | Page 97 | The Boneyard

Hamidou Diallo Graduates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Jerry Meyer, and @husky99 claiming they think he's kentucky bound isn't a new development?

Well Jerry Meyer changed his crystal ball prediction, but without providing any evidence for why he thinks that. Husky99, I assume he has some inside info with UConn? That's a bit troubling then.

Reaction Score
Well Jerry Meyer changed his crystal ball prediction, but without providing any evidence for why he thinks that. Husky99, I assume he has some inside info with UConn? That's a bit troubling then.

The best insider we have to the team is Oz and even as of today he still feels UConn is in a good position with Hami.

Until Oz says we are in trouble, I feel pretty good about Hami. I also view Cal's follow up visit with Hami more as a sign he's not convinced Diallo is going to UK.

Time will tell, but I still feel good about our chances.

Reaction Score
Realistically, that info's coming from Zags, and he's practically on the UK payroll.

Reaction Score
I certainly could be wrong. He's obviously an exceptional athlete or he wouldn't be ranked where he is. However, on the summer circuit (which is a decent sample size), he shot 20 percent from three and had more turnovers than assists. Saw the same type of numbers from Prince Ali, who wasn't ranked as high as Diallo but who's performance as a freshman was certainly below expectations. It's hard to get to the rim in college - and if you can't shoot reliably or draw and kick effectively, college defenses will stop you.

To me, he projects as a guy who will ooze potential and make a few SportsCenter Top 10 highlights, but have a limited impact in college before he harnesses more of his potential in the NBA (unlike, say Kemba, who had to harness it in college at his size before getting NBA interest). I mean I'd still love to have him - easy buckets in transition alone would help this team this year and he would hopefully be able to Find a niche next year slashing against defenses that Adams and Gilbert break down (plus he would have the potential to be the guy who guards the top perimeter scorer). But I want a 30-5 type of year next season, and if there's one piece I think would give us the best chance to get there, it's someone who can score out of the low post.
You don't seem to recognize his other value to UConn. Once upon a time not long ago we had the best collection of alumni in the NBA, now we are basicslly just down to Kemba and Drummond. We need more bonafide high level NBA players desperately and Hamidou has a pretty good chance of being one of those.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Wow! People seem to be in a hurry to jump off the cliff.
I read that article on Cal. I totally disagree that he was hinting he got Hami.
To me he was setting up excuses for when he possibly fails. He was saying He told "the recruit" minutes and points don't matter. If Hami goes elsewhere, he will will try to frame it that the kid was too interested in minutes. If he comes hear, it will be because we are so screwed we have lots of room for minutes and players that are immature look for that.
Perfect Cal. "If I want a recruit I get him." But if he might lose him, blame the kid.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
You don't seem to recognize his other value to UConn. Once upon a time not long ago we had the best collection of alumni in the NBA, now we are basicslly just down to Kemba and Drummond. We need more bonafide high level NBA players desperately and Hamidou has a pretty good chance of being one of those.
Rudy Gay is averaging 19 pts and 6 rebounds this season.

Reaction Score
@superjohn we turned 4 star jeremy lamb into an official nba player, a lotto pick. There was once a time when we thought that could be adams, nothing is guaranteed. we as a fanbase may have jumped the shark on this recruitment, i really don't envision HD as a simmons or drummond level talent. The focus should be on KO and his player development imo, what can polley be? MAL? Enochs regression is unfathomable in my eyes, can't believe what has happened.

H

huskymagic

Hami is important for a lot of reasons as I and many posters have already hashed out. For future recruiting, national and media perception of us, and in replenishing our NBA stock. Forget about Rudy or Ray or Rip or Kemba. If Hami is the next Jeremy Lamb for us it will be a huge success and another portrait to hang up at the UCONN practice facility for recruits to admire

Reaction Score
@superjohn we turned 4 star jeremy lamb into an official nba player, a lotto pick. There was once a time when we thought that could be adams, nothing is guaranteed. we as a fanbase may have jumped the shark on this recruitment, i really don't envision HD as a simmons or drummond level talent. The focus should be on KO and his player development imo, what can polley be? MAL? Enochs regression is unfathomable in my eyes, can't believe what has happened.

Enoch's regression? What?

Reaction Score
I'm aware of Rudy and Lamb, I have league pass. Unfortunately they aren't exactly relevant players in the NBA, we know them well of course and so do real NBA fans but the casual fan really doesn't. Rudy has always gotten his points on high volume and never been a winner, maybe a move to the Rockets (playoff team) will help. I totally think Lamb can do more but he's still buried on the bench half the time by Clifford and he's in his 5th season in the league as a scorer who has yet to average double figures in a season. Rudy is an above average NBA player and Lamb is average. We need to get back to the days where we had Gordon, RIP, Ray lighting up each other in the playoffs.

Reaction Score

This argument gets way too much hype around here. Is it nice for the program to have a lot of NBA cred? Sure it is. Is it do or die? Of course not. How many NBA studs did we have when we recruited Chris Smith, or Donyell Marshall, or Ray Allen, or Richard Hamilton? How many NBA studs did Butler have when they went to back to back finals?

NBA cred is not determinative. It's about getting talented guys and developing them as the toughest SOBs on the court.

Reaction Score
Wow! People seem to be in a hurry to jump off the cliff.
I read that article on Cal. I totally disagree that he was hinting he got Hami.
To me he was setting up excuses for when he possibly fails. He was saying He told "the recruit" minutes and points don't matter. If Hami goes elsewhere, he will will try to frame it that the kid was too interested in minutes. If he comes hear, it will be because we are so screwed we have lots of room for minutes and players that are immature look for that.
Perfect Cal. "If I want a recruit I get him." But if he might lose him, blame the kid.
Seems like a legitimate conclusion one could draw on Cal's visit, seems like he's still chasing him....maybe Diallo is really unsure....have to stop checking the CrystalBall and just let it play out....if he makes the Zona trip then I would assume we'll hear from him soon after on his decision....if we were distracted by a positive season for UConn on the court this waiting wouldn't be so bad.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
And Jeremy Lamb's turned into one of the league's better 6th men.

I agree with the general principle, though: We need to start putting more bodies into the pros, and Diallo is likely to help in that regard.
And having more guys earning $150 million+ in their careers and making some large tax deductible donations to the university wouldn't hurt either.

Reaction Score
I'm confused by this post, haven't you compared Hamidou to Westbrook and Sprewell? I still think Adams can be a lottery pick. If you are waiting on Ollie to turn Polley and MAL into bonafide high level NBA players you will most likely be highly disappointed. How exactly has Enoch regressed? I normally like your posts and respect your bball knowledge but this post has me confused?

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I'm confused by this post, haven't you compared Hamidou to Westbrook and Sprewell? I still think Adams can be a lottery pick. If you are waiting on Ollie to turn Polley and MAL into bonafide high level NBA players you will most likely be highly disappointed. How exactly has Enoch regressed? I normally like your posts and respect your bball knowledge but this post has me confused?
Adams needs a shot and less turnovers, but i agree... you don't think MAL and Polley can be good in the NBA? they havent set foot in college

Reaction Score
The best insider we have to the team is Oz and even as of today he still feels UConn is in a good position with Hami.

Until Oz says we are in trouble, I feel pretty good about Hami. I also view Cal's follow up visit with Hami more as a sign he's not convinced Diallo is going to UK.

Time will tell, but I still feel good about our chances.
Very wise words. Oz truly has the inside track

Reaction Score
I'm going to go down with the ship on this one and say that Diallo has been UConn's all along. It was just last week that somebody in his camp was talking about "squeezing in" another visit or two after UConn. That's about as suggestive as it gets in recruit speak.

The development in the recruitment is and has been that he wants to play second semester. Cal is still recruiting him for next season (Fox, Monk, and Briscoe are all locked in as 30+ minute guys at his position) and his visit today is probably emblematic of his fear that he's slipping away.

Things look terrible right now, but add Adams and Diallo to the back court and this suddenly becomes a real team. I'm sure Ollie has sold him on that and based on the amount of time he spends around the team, I doubt there was much convincing to do.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Adams needs a shot and less turnovers, but i agree...
Just need to note this: Adams is shooting 49% from the floor, 43% from 3 this year. Since starting his career 3-for-24 from 3, he's 22-for-50. His career FT% meanwhile is just over 75%.

As for TOs... save for one bad half against OK State he's got almost a 3-to-1 a/to ratio. And it needs to be said that against Auburn we were getting whatever shot we wanted when he was on the court.

Adams is going to be really, really, really good. If he's healthy and we land Diallo, I like our chances against anyone in the AAC come March, and wouldn't rule out a run to the second weekend of the tourney if we get the right draw.

Reaction Score
Adams needs a shot and less turnovers, but i agree... you don't think MAL and Polley can be good in the NBA? they havent set foot in college
Sure they can become high level NBA players but the odds are stacked against them. Polley isn't top 100, think we hope he can become something like Deandre but remember Deandre was one of the top recruits in the country and he still hasn't made it to the league. MAL is ranked highly but as of now he is similar to Jalen in needing a jumpshot and a left and he doesn't quite have the measureables of Jalen.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Just need to note this: Adams is shooting 49% from the floor, 43% from 3 this year. Since starting his career 3-for-24 from 3, he's 22-for-50. His career FT% meanwhile is just over 75%.

As for TOs... save for one bad half against OK State he's got almost a 3-to-1 a/to ratio. And it needs to be said that against Auburn we were getting whatever shot we wanted when he was on the court.

Adams is going to be really, really, really good. If he's healthy and we land Diallo, I like our chances against anyone in the AAC come March, and wouldn't rule out a run to the second weekend of the tourney if we get the right draw.
I say he needs a shot probably bc I don't see it enough and would like to see it a lot more

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Sure they can become high level NBA players but the odds are stacked against them. Polley isn't top 100, think we hope he can become something like Deandre but remember Deandre was one of the top recruits in the country and he still hasn't made it to the league. MAL is ranked highly but as of now he is similar to Jalen in needing a jumpshot and a left and he doesn't quite have the measureables of Jalen.
yeah, he should've stayed but when he came in he said he wanted to stay for only two years and leave... he stayed for three and won a nc... now he's in australia?? I think, cant blame him

Reaction Score
I'm typically pretty hapless when it comes to projecting how various players translate to the next level, but I've had a hunch for a while that Adams is going to play in the league and possibly be good.
Agreed, I think he has a chance to be a really good NBA player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom