Hamidou Diallo Graduates | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hamidou Diallo Graduates

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
I have a gut feeling he won't be at uconn.
I feel the same way... until I remember that the official UConn Men's BBall twitter account follows Diallo and they only follow UConn players.

Reaction Score
Imagine if he comes here, becomes a great player and wins a championship. Does the squid attack Ollie like he did coach k? He was somewhat diplomatic about Kemba but didn't he effectively not pursue Kemba? If we actually beat him out for a great, championship-caliber, kid, will he lose his.....

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Imagine if he comes here, becomes a great player and wins a championship. Does the squid attack Ollie like he did coach k? He was somewhat diplomatic about Kemba but didn't he effectively not pursue Kemba? If we actually beat him out for a great, championship-caliber, kid, will he lose his.....

Why are you so obsessed with Calipari?

Reaction Score
Why are you so obsessed with Calipari?
When did you become a uconn fan? 2011? Do you have any clue whatsoever about the history between UConn/Calhoun and the squid? And, more importantly, are we not competeing with him for the kid whose name is in the title of this thread?

Maybe you should be asking yourself why you are obsessed with my obsession...snowflake.

Reaction Score
Whenever someone asks him about UConn, he always seems to get defensive and sort of play it off as is if we're just some other school. My guess? He loves UConn but wants the offers to keep pouring in so he doesn't want to make it sound like he's a UConn lean. I still like our chances.

To play devil's advocate, it could just as easily be because he truly isn't that interested in us and wants the flashier-name offers to keep pouring in.

To use a strained analogy: We might be the homely girl who obviously has a crush on him; he's the popular guy who gets annoyed when anyone asks if he's going to go out with us, especially when the hot girls are nearby.

Reaction Score
To play devil's advocate, it could just as easily be because he truly isn't that interested in us and wants the flashier-name offers to keep pouring in.

To use a strained analogy: We might be the homely girl who obviously has a crush on him; he's the popular guy who gets annoyed when anyone asks if he's going to go out with us, especially when the hot girls are nearby.

Everything you said is correct. But the two things he mentioned that he's looking for is fit and coach relationship. UConn is one of the best guard schools in the country, no doubt about it. And I don't know how other coaches do it but I'm not sure there's any other coach in the country that connects as well with their players as Ollie.

Reaction Score

Sometimes the homely girl gives the best...well let's hope we do!

Reaction Score
When did you become a uconn fan? 2011? Do you have any clue whatsoever about the history between UConn/Calhoun and the squid? And, more importantly, are we not competeing with him for the kid whose name is in the title of this thread?

Maybe you should be asking yourself why you are obsessed with my obsession...snowflake.

Wow, that is impressive high-level internet tough-guying. I hope you didn't sprain your wrist portraying so much testosterone on that keyboard broheim

Reaction Score
Thon Maker might have very well set that precedent but it would be extremely dumb for anyone else to do. If he wants to get to the NBA ASAP he should go to college instead of doing a post grad year.

Why? Isn't it the equivalent of what Brandon Jennings or Mudiay or anyone else did, except not getting paid? It's the same time-frame to NBA, and if you're a top 10 HS kid you're almost definitely getting drafted 1st round if you don't get exposed, and you really only get exposed at high level D1 (pro leagues you get benefit of doubt, high school isn't good enough to expose). Maybe you don't improve as much, but for draft purposes, I don't see the downside.

Reaction Score
Thon Maker might have very well set that precedent but it would be extremely dumb for anyone else to do. If he wants to get to the NBA ASAP he should go to college instead of doing a post grad year.
Why would it be extremely dumb? If Drummond had continued on with his post grad year as originally planned and then decided he would enter the draft instead of going to UConn he likely goes higher in the draft than he did. If you're considered a can't miss prospect(Maker is not) its not really a bad idea at all. And even in Maker's case it might benefit him if someone takes an end of first round or 2nd round flyer on him based on potential instead of risking his weaknesses getting further exposed in college.

Last edited:

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I like that he looking for "the right fit" over conference. But the fact he is a one and done...meh. I will not get down if/when he picks someone else. He looks and sounds great, tho.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score

Snowflake?

34153957.jpg

Reaction Score
Why? Isn't it the equivalent of what Brandon Jennings or Mudiay or anyone else did, except not getting paid? It's the same time-frame to NBA, and if you're a top 10 HS kid you're almost definitely getting drafted 1st round if you don't get exposed, and you really only get exposed at high level D1 (pro leagues you get benefit of doubt, high school isn't good enough to expose). Maybe you don't improve as much, but for draft purposes, I don't see the downside.
The only reason Jennings and Mudiay went overseas was because of eligibility issues. They both did absolutely nothing over there and were drafted in the lotto. Jeremy Tyler was a can't miss top prospect who did the same thing but was exposed over there as a soft primadona. Went in the 2nd round and disappeared.
Why would it be extremely dumb? If Drummond had continued on with his post grad year as originally planned and then decided he would enter the draft instead of going to UConn he likely goes higher in the draft than he did. If you're considered a can't miss prospect(Maker is not) its not really a bad idea at all. And even in Maker's case it might benefit him if someone takes an end of first round or 2nd round flyer on him based on potential instead of risking his weaknesses getting further exposed in college.
Andre was still the 9th pick, I don't believe he hurt himself at all by going to college. The difference in salary between the 2nd pick and 9th isn't that big. The reason these star HS athletes don't go overseas to get paid millions is for marketing. It's worth more to get huge exposure on ESPN and build a fan base in college than go where no one notices you.

Bottom line, Hami reclassified 2 or 3 years ago when he entered PSA. Thoughts of the NBA were non exisitant. This isn't some calculated decision to help his draft stock. Him going to UConn and dunking on Mathew Moyer's face in MSG on national tv is worth more from an marketing/endorsement aspect than any other option.

Reaction Score
The only reason Jennings and Mudiay went overseas was because of eligibility issues. They both did absolutely nothing over there and were drafted in the lotto. Jeremy Tyler was a can't miss top prospect who did the same thing but was exposed over there as a soft primadona. Went in the 2nd round and disappeared.

Andre was still the 9th pick, I don't believe he hurt himself at all by going to college. The difference in salary between the 2nd pick and 9th isn't that big. The reason these star HS athletes don't go overseas to get paid millions is for marketing. It's worth more to get huge exposure on ESPN and build a fan base in college than go where no one notices you.

Bottom line, Hami reclassified 2 or 3 years ago when he entered PSA. Thoughts of the NBA were non exisitant. This isn't some calculated decision to help his draft stock. Him going to UConn and dunking on Mathew Moyer's face in MSG on national tv is worth more from an marketing/endorsement aspect than any other option.

The perception of Drummond and his stock took a big time hit, it was covered in every single article written about him during the draft process and it was still written about him when he surprised some folks with his play in the NBA early on. I'm not saying its a guarantee he goes #2 if he never goes to college, but I definitely don't think he falls to number #9. Also, over the course of his rookie deal MKG will have made $20,760,924 while Drummond will have made $10,659,171, a difference of over $10M, if that difference in sialary isn't that big then we view money very differently.

Reaction Score
The perception of Drummond and his stock took a big time hit, it was covered in every single article written about him during the draft process and it was still written about him when he surprised some folks with his play in the NBA early on. I'm not saying its a guarantee he goes #2 if he never goes to college, but I definitely don't think he falls to number #9. Also, over the course of his rookie deal MKG will have made $20,760,924 while Drummond will have made $10,659,171, a difference of over $10M, if that difference in sialary isn't that big then we view money very differently.
Ya, I was wrong there. HUGE difference in salary. Still, we're dealing with hypotheticals. We have no idea where he would have been drafted if he came out of high school. IMO it would have been somewhere close to 9.

Also wanted to add: if skipping college for a post grad year is the smart way to maximize your draft status many top kids will end up doing it. The future will tell.

Last edited:

Jaybo

I hate you
Reaction Score
I feel the same way... until I remember that the official UConn Men's BBall twitter account follows Diallo and they only follow UConn players.

I moved here to Kentucky 15 years ago, and it seems to me when they won't shut up about a certain recruit it's because he's a lock most likely. And on every radio show here they talk like he's already on campus.. I hope they are wrong.

Reaction Score
I moved here to Kentucky 15 years ago, and it seems to me when they won't shut up about a certain recruit it's because he's a lock most likely. And on every radio show here they talk like he's already on campus.. I hope they are wrong.
That's simply bluegrass arrogance. Quick wuestion, when haven't they thought a recruit is theirs? If you want to laugh even harder, go to the Syracuse board. They think they have a 30% chance he goes there and nay actually reclassify now that Malachi is gone.

Reaction Score
I know some would disagree but I think this kid is a "must get".

Reaction Score
When does he have to make a decision by? (i know its not right now) Or when is he most likely to make a decision?

I guess i'm just thinking if him and Mamadou are really that tight, I'd expect mamadou's experiences to potentially have a big impact on Hamidou's decision. If all Mamadou does is rave about the program and his progress ect... AND we actually have a strong season next year, I would think we would have a leg up on any other school in landing him. Lets see how things play out but next season is extremely important in our recruitment of this kid imo.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Not sure what "must get" means in this situation, but he is certainly a "we really, really, really, really want Hamidou to come to UConn" level of recruit. If he goes elsewhere, I do not see the sky falling and crushing Storrs into dust. He could be a kid who could help UConn make a big run next year ('17-18), that's for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom