Hall of Fame: Swoopes Yes; Muffet No | The Boneyard

Hall of Fame: Swoopes Yes; Muffet No

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Man I loved Sheryl Swoopes, what a great jump shot she had.
"Mama can't help your jumpshot" Was a WNBA Commercial in 1998 lol :p Sheryl asked a little girl where her mama was, and that's what the little girl said back to her... was hilarious :p

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I have no idea what criteria are used when determining if someone is in the Hall of Fame. I looked up the coaches of women's teams that are in there:

Conradt, Summitt, Yow, Barmore, Gunter, Auriemma, Stringer, Vanderveer, and Hatchell (I think I got all of them).

Given that Yow and Gunter have lesser stats than McGraw, it would seem that Muffet should be in there as well. I'm not sure why - maybe not enough NC's yet for them? Not sure. I wonder if it's like the baseball HOF - where often times it takes several ballots before someone is elected there...

But I would agree that given the people who are already in, Muffet deserves to be there based on her accomplishments...

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I have no idea what criteria are used when determining if someone is in the Hall of Fame. I looked up the coaches of women's teams that are in there:

Conradt, Summitt, Yow, Barmore, Gunter, Auriemma, Stringer, Vanderveer, and Hatchell (I think I got all of them).

Given that Yow and Gunter have lesser stats than McGraw, it would seem that Muffet should be in there as well. I'm not sure why - maybe not enough NC's yet for them? Not sure. I wonder if it's like the baseball HOF - where often times it takes several ballots before someone is elected there...

But I would agree that given the people who are already in, Muffet deserves to be there based on her accomplishments...

No doubt Muffet exceeds the credentials of some women's coaches already inducted, but a lot boils down to the relative strength of the class of nominees. I think this group was a particularly strong class. The voters can only vote for so many nominees.

Reaction Score
What was Geno's line about winning one national title? People can do it... but winning a second, a third and so on shows that you are good at what you do and it is not a fluke. Muffet won a national title in 2001... 15 years ago. Since then she has won nodda.... was in three finals and over the past four years.... and came up empty.

Geno won 10 titles in 20 years... I know it has little to do with Muffet and the Hall of Fame... I just like saying it. Especially when it deals with Notre Dame :)

Reaction Score
Muffett deserves it but it would have helped if she had won one more championship over the last few years. 2004 cemented it for Calhoun.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Swoopes deserves it. She was great.

Muffet will make it in time, even without another championship.

The big question for me is whether Iverson will PRACTICE his acceptance speech. ;) I'm sure that Shaq will entertain.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score

I have no idea, but can speak to Vivian's election - she was told that she would not make the Hall of Fame unless she had an additional international credential - hence, her being an Assistant Coach to Van Chancellor in 2004. Now, she was a friend of Van's, but make no mistake, this is one fact I am 100% certain of. Likewise, Yow and Gunter, in addition to long successful careers, were (purportedly) found acceptable because of their USA basketball credentials. All 3 lacked the National Championship, the others of course all have NC's and some were "no brainers".

I'm sure that Muffet will get in, eventually.

Reaction Score

Actually, I was surprised that Muffet wasn't in already. I thought she made it in the past few years but I guess my recollection was wrong. She is obviously deserving and I regard her as a better coach than at least a couple of the above listed group that are already in.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Swoopes deserves it. She was great.

Muffet will make it in time, even without another championship.

The big question for me is whether Iverson will PRACTICE his acceptance speech. ;) I'm sure that Shaq will entertain.

We talkin' about PRACTICE, man...

But AI deserves the hell out of it.

Muffet does have a history of transformative accomplishment with respect to the WBB program. She has as many NCs as Jody Conradt, who's in the Hall, albeit fewer than 900 victories. However, four NC games in five years is kind of a big deal.

I LOVE Swoopes and am ecstatic to see her contributions to the game recognized. Only Ohio State fans may be a little less thrilled.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
The first women's game I ever saw on TV was the championship game with Swoope's Texas Tech team against...maybe Ohio State?
Sheryl had around 45 points! Might have been around 1993?
Would not mind Stewie taking that record down tonight....in a win.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Actually, I was surprised that Muffet wasn't in already. I thought she made it in the past few years but I guess my recollection was wrong. She is obviously deserving and I regard her as a better coach than at least a couple of the above listed group that are already in.
I believe MM is in the Women's Bball HOF but not the Naismith Basketball HOF in Springfield.

Reaction Score
The first women's game I ever saw on TV was the championship game with Swoope's Texas Tech team against...maybe Ohio State?
Sheryl had around 45 points! Might have been around 1993?
Would not mind Stewie taking that record down tonight....in a win.

47 points. Swoopes was also the tournament's leading rebounder, was almost perfect from the free throw line, and was singularly phenomenal.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Sheryl Swoops is, arguably, the greatest WBB of all time. She was outstanding on both ends of the floor and has the accolades to back it up.
just saw her enshrinement, she looks good and thanked who she needed to. I'm proud of her

Reaction Score
Sheryl Swoops is, arguably, the greatest WBB of all time. She was outstanding on both ends of the floor and has the accolades to back it up.
Swoops, Miller, Taurasi. I could argue that for eternity, and never figure it out.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I believe MM is in the Women's Bball HOF but not the Naismith Basketball HOF in Springfield.

That's correct, Nan: she was elected in 2011...I just checked the ND site for verification.
I agree with one of the posters that MM will eventually get into the Naismith Hall of Fame. This year was a strong class and there are so many slots.
Onwards and upwards!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

I think it gets down to issues of influence on the history of the game in addition to the actual career numbers - Yow, Conradt, Gunter, Stringer, Vanderveer, and Hatchell are all part of the 'pioneers' of the women's collegiate game, and with their USA basketball credentials on top of their college records.

Of the currently active coaches, Geno stands far above the others, Tara with two NCs and an Olympic gold is next, Kim and Dawn with their playing careers on top of their coaching are probably next.

Muffet is a great coach, but she is in the generation that came after the pioneers, she has only one NC, has never been part of the USA family (don't know why, assume it is her choice), and does not stand above the other very impressively credentialed current coaches not in the hall except by longevity. I think she will get in, but it may be a few years before she does.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Well, Muffet has only won just One national championship. She might need at least another one to get in!:rolleyes:
Muffet suffers from coaching in the Geno era. Without Geno she'd have, what, maybe 4 natties? She's HOF worthy IMO and she'll get there eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom