Hall of Fame: Swoopes Yes; Muffet No | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hall of Fame: Swoopes Yes; Muffet No

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I think it gets down to issues of influence on the history of the game in addition to the actual career numbers - Yow, Conradt, Gunter, Stringer, Vanderveer, and Hatchell are all part of the 'pioneers' of the women's collegiate game, and with their USA basketball credentials on top of their college records.

Of the currently active coaches, Geno stands far above the others, Tara with two NCs and an Olympic gold is next, Kim and Dawn with their playing careers on top of their coaching are probably next.

Muffet is a great coach, but she is in the generation that came after the pioneers, she has only one NC, has never been part of the USA family (don't know why, assume it is her choice), and does not stand above the other very impressively credentialed current coaches not in the hall except by longevity. I think she will get in, but it may be a few years before she does.
That makes sense - I hadn't considered the impact of the pioneering coaches... which may be why they are in there but not McGraw... Either way, I know her day will come...

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
We talkin' about PRACTICE, man...

But AI deserves the hell out of it.

Muffet does have a history of transformative accomplishment with respect to the WBB program. She has as many NCs as Jody Conradt, who's in the Hall, albeit fewer than 900 victories. However, four NC games in five years is kind of a big deal.

I LOVE Swoopes and am ecstatic to see her contributions to the game recognized. Only Ohio State fans may be a little less thrilled.

For those who may have missed the reference:

Reaction Score
Notre Dame also has not won many league championships either. The BE in their last year and not sure on regular season though. IMO Mulkey should be in before MM. She has NC not just as a coach but also as a player.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Notre Dame also has not won many league championships either. The BE in their last year and not sure on regular season though. IMO Mulkey should be in before MM. She has NC not just as a coach but also as a player.
And an Olympic medal as a player I believe.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
they haven't won the ACC titles lately?

Reaction Score
Don't agree. I don't think she's anywhere close to the coach that Muffet is. Mulkrey had one of the most dominant centers in the history of the game and only managed one title with her. They had some pretty impressive talent along with Griner so it isn't like that was a factor. Muffet would have fared better, no doubt!

Reaction Score
They had some pretty impressive talent along with Griner so it isn't like that was a factor.
What "...impressive talent..."? They had Sims, but while she has talent, there is a bad court attitude that compromised her performance significantly in college (and still does in the WNBA). Apart from that, I don't recall there being a lot on that team. Some good players, but nothing that I would put into that lofty category.

Correct me if I am wrong, please.

Reaction Score
What about all the talent Notre Dame has had and she has 1 NC. If Shea and Sveta dont get injured Uconn would have won and she would have zero NC. She did not win a BE Tournament Championship until her last year in the league in 2013. If you have a good win-lost record should not put anyone in the HOF. This probably wont happen but IMO CD should be in there before them. She has more Championships than anybody else with 12.

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
Yes :) I agree :) but will they let her jacket in?? That's the real question here.... :p
The Jacket should get it's own special display case in the HoF. Sunglasses required.

Reaction Score
The Jacket should get it's own special display case in the HoF. Sunglasses required.
Mulkey's lamé jacket, Muffet's leather skirt, Summit's stare (or her Orange power suit), Geno's hair...what other Signature Coach's items? CVS' pastel pink polyester leisure suit? Sherri Coale's stilletos? Jeff Walz' Italian Bistro Tablecloth shirt?

(this needs its own thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS