Hailey Van Lith & LB transfer predictions | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Hailey Van Lith & LB transfer predictions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Folks if Betts didnt play alot of minutes at Stanford what makes you think she will play alot of minutes at UConn? She didnt gain any experience playing at Stanford. Theres a reason for that? Dont forget Brink was in foul trouble alot and Betts wasnt called on to replace her. If Betts goes to any team will she get significant minutes? If she came to UConn who would leave and who considering coming to UConn would go elsewhere. Just that reason alone...losing current roster players and recruits coming in I would say no. If she didnt play at Stanford shes not playing at UConn.
As a Stanford fan, a few points of insight. Brink rarely was in heavy foul trouble this year. Certainly not at the level of her first two seasons. She averaged 2.5 fouls per game. Many Stanford fans questioned playing time for Betts. The minutes she did come in, she produced. I, personally, was often frustrated she was not utilized more. Many fans love their coaches despite their coach's decisions. I am not that way with Tara. She has many great qualities as a coach, but player choices and playing time has been something I question her about each year. I am probably in the minority among Stanford fans, but I get frustrated beyond belief with her decisions.

I do not know the inner workings of her schemes, but from the outside (to me) it often appears she has favorites, and if you get in her dog house, it is incredibly tough to get out. We had Haley Jones playing pretty much all the game in every game, despite having many games she wasn't producing. We had Hannah Jump standing in a corner waiting to just shoot 3s, but in games where that wasn't effective she still remained, which resulted in a 4 person offense and low scoring. I wish we had seen much more of Betts, Iriafen, and Bosgana. And Prechtel. All are phenomenal talents that had many moments they would shine, yet after one mistake they were benched and never saw the court again the rest of the game, and many times for many games moving forward.

So, I do not think Betts minutes are indicative of what she is capable of. When she got minutes, she is good and has an incredibly high ceiling she wasn't allowed to come close to reaching. It is more indicative of Tara's coaching style. Whomever picks Betts up is going to be getting a great player that can make a very large contribution for that team from the get go.

Reaction Score
I mean the TWO who are coming off significant injuries and have much to prove, and as I said I hope they do. We are not talking about past performance, we are talking about future. Agree it is not the dark ages of medicine, but when players are coming back from multiple injuries, the odds are a little longer. I just struggle to understand why some UConn fans have to proclaim our greatness, and in absolute terms, BEFORE the games are played. Not sure why we can’t just enjoy the ride. These
players have enough pressure already!
As high as my hopes are for next season, and as great as my expectations are, I have to reserve any type of judgement until some of the many IFS are settled.
Health wise: Paige, Azzi, Caroline, Ice, Aubrey
Maturity and development:
Yanna, JAF, Ice, KK, Ashlyn, Amari
AE seems to be a rock at the 4.
Nika’s value would actually go UP if Paige, Azzi & Caroline return to form. She could stop trying to do too much and just be Nika the defensive pest and getting the ball down court and where it would do the most good.
With all due respect to Geno, the coaching and support staff, and in recognition of the talent level projected to reside at UCONN 23-24, although I live in Texas, until some questions are answered, I’m strictly from Missouri.

Reaction Score
Folks if Betts didnt play alot of minutes at Stanford what makes you think she will play alot of minutes at UConn? She didnt gain any experience playing at Stanford. Theres a reason for that? Dont forget Brink was in foul trouble alot and Betts wasnt called on to replace her. If Betts goes to any team will she get significant minutes? If she came to UConn who would leave and who considering coming to UConn would go elsewhere. Just that reason alone...losing current roster players and recruits coming in I would say no. If she didnt play at Stanford shes not playing at UConn.
To be honest, I don't understand Stanford coaching decisions lately. I watched a couple games since many of them aren't on TV and when Betts was in she was often successful. They just didn't put her in. I also think their PG challenges had an impact because Betts is a down low player so you need a PG who can get yje ball in there to her.... They just didn't have that and it eventually caught up with them. I think Betts could get good minutes at UConn. I stand by my point that I have had for years, the optimum minutes for a C should be 20-25 tops so they can really fight for position and take some fouls. The recent 30+ min UConn trend in the front court is killing us!

Reaction Score

Bread crumbs from Mama Betts...

I think her mom has made it clear she doesn't want Lauren to play for a white head coach and prefers them to be a woman. I would be surprised if she is considering AZ though

Reaction Score
I think her mom has made it clear she doesn't want Lauren to play for a white head coach and prefers them to be a woman. I would be surprised if she is considering AZ though

She's replying to a male b-ball player per the thread. I don't see how you can connect her recommendation of a men's program to this person as bread crumbs as to where Betts will or won't go.

Reaction Score
Geno is not white... he's Italian!.. even I can tell the difference! Lauren, college students
learn to think for themselves and if you need an adjustment in your career path... consider
Storrs, a more than adequate option.!!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think Mama Betts is enjoying herself in the spotlight, but I am not sure it is a reflection of LB's thinking. No question that if home is important then any Pac12 school is better for both Hailey Van Lith and LB than any other P6 conference. Big 12 would be next. The others are all east of the Mississippi dominant leagues. If an NC or superior coaching is the concern, I think there are more options in the east.

Reaction Score
I think Mama Betts is enjoying herself in the spotlight, but I am not sure it is a reflection of LB's thinking. No question that if home is important then any Pac12 school is better for both Hailey Van Lith and LB than any other P6 conference. Big 12 would be next. The others are all east of the Mississippi dominant leagues. If an NC or superior coaching is the concern, I think there are more options in the east.
Well, she just transferred away from the only coach West of the Mississippi who has won a National Championship.

Reaction Score
Hailey was already following a number of Uconn players that she was already friends with from USA bball and some of our 2023 recruits which I'm sure she was trying to recruit Louisville previously...but it looks like as of today she's now following Aubrey Griffin and Dorka which I thought was interesting. Maybe we really are in the running.

I know we are deep with guards next year, but after all these injuries the past 2 years I certainly think she would be a great addition, plus she already has chemistry playing with Paige and Azzi.

Reaction Score
She's replying to a male b-ball player per the thread. I don't see how you can connect her recommendation of a men's program to this person as bread crumbs as to where Betts will or won't go.
I didn't know the context of that tweet, so my reply wasn't good for that tweet. However, her mom's other material on there backs up what I said.

And I agree, I don't consider that post as bread crumbs at all. I interpreted it as she prefers AZ women's program vs Louisville's program, which was wrong to begin with. Even if I was right it's not providing any inside info.
Lauren will make the best decision for herself, and not her mother hopefully. I'm sure she will take her time to find the best program for her.

Reaction Score
Well, she just transferred away from the only coach West of the Mississippi who has won a National Championship.
I hate to be so judgmental but as successful as she's been, I've never understood why players would want to play for Tara..........Geno, Dawn, and Kim are all motivational superstars while Tara reminds me of a librarian.......

Reaction Score
I didn't know the context of that tweet, so my reply wasn't good for that tweet. However, her mom's other material on there backs up what I said.

And I agree, I don't consider that post as bread crumbs at all. I interpreted it as she prefers AZ women's program vs Louisville's program, which was wrong to begin with. Even if I was right it's not providing any inside info.
Lauren will make the best decision for herself, and not her mother hopefully. I'm sure she will take her time to find the best program for her.
I get the mother has been putting tweets out there, however I find that "insights" by BYers and WBB fans are being based on the one comment/tweet without knowing the context behind it. I've made the same mistake when reading social media posts too quickly.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I hate to be so judgmental but as successful as she's been, I've never understood why players would want to play for Tara..........Geno, Dawn, and Kim are all motivational superstars while Tara reminds me of a librarian.......
I think public image and actual coaching are two different things - Tara (especially on this board!) and Muffet (also especially on this board!!) take a pounding for their public images, while they are/were really good coaches and especially good in games. ND and Uconn had some really good battles, and Tara is very good at making adjustments to not lose twice to the same opponent.

None of the championship quality coaches are going to be 'fun' to play for because they will demand more from their players. They may come across as teddy bears in press availability and on home visits, but on the floor they will be fierce - the grissly version of that teddy bear.

Reaction Score
It's depends your perspective. For example, while Geno is exalted and seen as the coach everyone wants to play for, there are those who see him as having an ego and rigid. Some see Dawn as a great motivator, where others think she plays a victim to garner support. People see Kim as brash, inconsiderate, etc., yet players are willing to play for her regardless.

Tara may not come across as a great motivator to some, however she has a long list of players who would vouch for her. I remember bumping into Alyssa Jerome one time when she was back in Toronto and she couldn't say enough great things about her. This was coming from a player who played decent minutes that decreased later in her career. She saw Tara as a great coach who taught her to be a leader. If memory serves correct, Tara referenced players like Jerome being a key part of why they won the title in 2021. Even though they didn't play minutes, their leadership off the court was critical.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I think public image and actual coaching are two different things - Tara (especially on this board!) and Muffet (also especially on this board!!) take a pounding for their public images, while they are/were really good coaches and especially good in games. ND and Uconn had some really good battles, and Tara is very good at making adjustments to not lose twice to the same opponent.

None of the championship quality coaches are going to be 'fun' to play for because they will demand more from their players. They may come across as teddy bears in press availability and on home visits, but on the floor they will be fierce - the grissly version of that teddy bear.
To piggy back on this, you can tell when Tara is not pleased. I don't doubt for a second she lets her team have it sometimes in the locker room. She is no librarian!

Reaction Score
Way out there theory: Lauren Betts' dad was English and played internationally and LB was born in Spain, UConn is the best destination for international players...she's not going to USF, right?

Better theory: Lauren played for Stanford last year without a real point guard to get her the ball, UConn has an embarrassment of riches at the point guard position next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom