Guess Saniya Chong's Playing Time This Year - Not Contest | The Boneyard

Guess Saniya Chong's Playing Time This Year - Not Contest

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
This is a player many of you have some familiarity with. Does she spell a 1 and a 2 guard and get 12 minutes a game? Or ?

As some of you know I felt the same question about our potential walk on was somehow disrespectful of Pope. With Chong, however, following a National Championship year in which freshmen figured so prominently, and with her number 1 (however late) ranking by a respected rater, I feel no similar queasiness.

My number is 12. The wild card here is Brianna B not S. Perhaps totally off base, but feel they may be competing for minutes.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Totally disrespectful of the player... ;)

Team of 10 including a walk on. Gatorade NPOY. Granted not ranked in the top 10, or even top 5 like Stewie, etc. I'm just thinking out loud. Jefferson struggled a bit last year but i think the 1 spot is the hardest to learn in coming to UCONN. Banks struggled her 1st year with the speed and skill required. I suspect Saniya's 1st year will be similar to Brianna's - Saniya is slim, a terrific all around player in HS, but I think she will struggle with the speed and strength required at the next level her freshman season. I do think 12-13 minutes per game is about right for her... but i'm betting others on here think that is low...

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I had her at 600 minutes for the season if she played in all 39 games.

15.3846 per game.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I know its allowed on the board to talk about playtime for recruits. But for recruiting purposes talking about how many minutes a freshman will play which many on here feel is just a few minutes cant help the top 20 players who are looking at UConn thinking will I play or will I not play. A perfect example is Sara Hammond at Louisville who played in the NC game and how many minutes do you think she would've gotten at UConn. Bottom line she didn't come. There was another player who I cant think of right now who went to UNC. Now UConn is looking at a lot of great kids Sierra Calhoun, and A'ja Wilson being 2. If you post they're only going to get a few minutes they most likely wont come. Now you can disagree with me but I know that playtime for both is a major concern and yes their coaches and parents read this board. IMO we need to stop these threads as it can only hurt recruiting.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Tony you are exactly right. Especially since play time will depend on the game. Given that many of UConn's games will be blow-outs we can expect that Saniya will see a lot of playing time...every minute will prepare her for when she becomes a starter which she will certainly become sometime during her tenure at UConn. Of course, in tight games Geno will shorten his bench...he always does. He will play the players who are getting the job done...sometimes that includes yanking a starter or two who are not playing well and going with role players who do what Geno wants.

Geno and the staff at UConn are fantastic at developing players for the future...they know how to get the most out of them and he gets them ready for the next level whether it is Olympic basketball, USA World Championships or the WNBA. Just look at how many UConn players were on the last Olympic Team. Look at how many are currently playing USA basketball and look at the three best players in WNBA right now. Diana Taurasi, Maya Moore and Tina Charles.

Reactions: HGN

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I know its allowed on the board to talk about playtime for recruits. But for recruiting purposes talking about how many minutes a freshman will play which many on here feel is just a few minutes cant help the top 20 players who are looking at UConn thinking will I play or will I not play. A perfect example is Sara Hammond at Louisville who played in the NC game and how many minutes do you think she would've gotten at UConn. Bottom line she didn't come. There was another player who I cant think of right now who went to UNC. Now UConn is looking at a lot of great kids Sierra Calhoun, and A'ja Wilson being 2. If you post they're only going to get a few minutes they most likely wont come. Now you can disagree with me but I know that playtime for both is a major concern and yes their coaches and parents read this board. IMO we need to stop these threads as it can only hurt recruiting.
In all honesty, Tony, and you know I love ya, but IF a recruit or their parents REALLY take what we say on the BY with regards to potential playing time, instead of listening to Geno, CD, Marisa, Shea, their high school coaches, and other players they meet at UCONN (don't you think all our current players on the US National teams are talking to these kids), then they don't deserve to come to UCONN. And if all they care about is playing "more than a few" minutes as freshmen, then Geno won't recruit them. It's Team First at UCONN, and there is no flexibility in that mantra. Remember what Geno flat out told Shea Ralph when she asked what kind of minutes he could promise her if she came to UCONN? "If you are really, really good, then you'll have a chance to play a lot. But if you suck, you won't play at all..."

Those kind of comments and the Team First quality of UCONN's program are things that are not only well known, but widely available to anyone who searches the internet. I would almost guarantee you Shea tells that story to every recruit she talks to. It's no mystery how other coaches will try to recruit against UCONN. And "No PT" is one tactic they will use.

One thing, IMHO, that all potential incoming freshmen should be aware of - they should NEVER expect to start at UCONN their first year UNLESS we are either desperate for their position, or unless there are injuries that force Geno's hand. Neither DT, nor Maya, nor Breanna started as freshmen from day 1.

The key is that the kids who want to come here also need to want to work harder than they ever have in their lives, and push themselves further than they thought possible. We all know UCONN is not for everyone. But we also know that while playing time is always earned in practices, the multiple benefits of playing with, and learning from, the best are things that can be taken with the kids the rest of their lives.

And for the record, if many people on here think Becca Pope could see north of 10 minutes per game AVERAGE next season, I'd say there is PLENTY of playing time to be had. When we are predicting possibly more than 10 MPG for a walk on, that indicates there is a ton of PT for anyone interested. In fact, I'd go so far as to say all our discussions of PT would BENEFIT any parents or potential recruits who read the board. ;)

Reaction Score
This is a player many of you have some familiarity with. Does she spell a 1 and a 2 guard and get 12 minutes a game? Or ?

As some of you know I felt the same question about our potential walk on was somehow disrespectful of Pope. With Chong, however, following a National Championship year in which freshmen figured so prominently, and with her number 1 (however late) ranking by a respected rater, I feel no similar queasiness.

My number is 12. The wild card here is Brianna B not S. Perhaps totally off base, but feel they may be competing for minutes.

More than a minute. Why are we doing this? This is pretty absurd... Regular school is not even out you want to talk about playing time of a player we have not seen play a college game.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
More than a minute. Why are we doing this? This is pretty absurd... Regular school is not even out you want to talk about playing time of a player we have not seen play a college game.

Many of The Best Boneyard Brouhahas are absurd.

HGN

Reaction Score
She'll get what she earns and deserves.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

The off season is our Theater of the Absurd. But there is a considerable amount of information, observation and video of Chong available. Nonetheless, it is a valid point that she has not been tested by any college competition; just another variable in this summertime exercise intended to keep us amused as we soldier on until next season.

Reaction Score

I think you are grossly overestimating our influence.

Reaction Score
I suspect Geno will want to try to get Banks back to where she was last year as quickly
as possible, so that whatever minutes she and Saniya are competing for will mostly go
to Banks - at least in the first half of the season.

Given the large number of blowouts everyone expects, there will be a lot of minutes
for non-starters, so that Saniya will still get significant minutes - let's say 9 minutes per game.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
[quote="ericsandiego,

One thing, IMHO, that all potential incoming freshmen should be aware of - they should NEVER expect to start at UCONN their first year UNLESS we are either desperate for their position, or unless there are injuries that force Geno's hand. Neither DT, nor Maya, nor Breanna started as freshmen from day 1.

Eric.....actually Breanna Stewart started 9 of her first 10 games at UConn. She set the UConn scoring record for a freshman in the first 10 games. During last season she started a total of 14 of 36 games. But, that is unusual for UConn and Geno. :)

Reaction Score
You have to be kidding. No recruit is making their decision based on the Boneyard. They're making the decision with the help of their family and their coaches. You're not in jeopardy of driving a recruit away. What we post is fun but not all that important.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
You have to be kidding. No recruit is making their decision based on the Boneyard. They're making the decision with the help of their family and their coaches. You're not in jeopardy of driving a recruit away. What we post is fun but not all that important.

Recruits absolutely read Internet message boards, and content therein absolutely can rub a kid or her family the wrong way. People should always consider this before posting.

I don't think this topic is likely to be a cause for concern, however.

Saniya is a backourt player on a team with some established backourt depth, what with Moriah, Bria, and Banks as solidly backcourt players, and KML as a floater between the 2 and 4 spots. However, with Banks probably needing a bit of time to round completely into form, there are definitely minutes to be had if she can pick up what Geno wants out of both his 1 and 2 spots. I think she gets 550 minutes next season.

Reaction Score
I am not sure how much she will play as a Freshman, but having watched her the past 4 years, unless I am wrong you all are about to be pleasantly surprised at just how good she really is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom