Guess Pope's playing time this season....a contest. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Guess Pope's playing time this season....a contest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I know we are scratching for material and this is an empirical and some would make it an hysterical exercise, but I feel uncomfortable about it. It feel it is a bit disrespectful to the player.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Who is Post? ;) If you are referring to Pope, I did not say that she'd be embarrassed, or that the team would be embarrassed. However, putting her on the court to guard Grey or Sims or some other elite guard might not be the best recipe for her self confidence, and long term success. I've never seen Geno put a walk on in a game where the other team has all their starters still on the court, but just because I don't recall seeing it doesn't mean he's never done it. I honestly have no idea how good she will be or what kind of success she will have at UCONN. It will be interesting to see what Geno does, but I made my prediction based on my opinion and recollection of how Geno has historically played walk ons.

I changed my post to say pope not post....lol.

If a team is rude enough to keep their starters in I agree that Geno would not put in Pope. But I don't think that is probable. Gray was out with six minutes left with Uconn up 25 last year.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I know we are scratching for material and this is an empirical and some would make it an hysterical exercise, but I feel uncomfortable about it. It feel it is a bit disrespectful to the player.

I don't see it as disrespectful. We frequently have threads guessing the distribution of playing time among players.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
..yes, and he's already shown that he's particularly adept at the Hail Mary...:rolleyes:..
I think he preaches peace and love, but I understand he has an excellent right cross. :)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think Becca has game, but will be overmatched against Duke and a few other teams. I'll assume that she is 100% healthy. I think she plays in about 25 regular season games and about 3-4 post-season games. My guess is about 200 minutes (assuming Ekmark is not on the team).

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
I like Doggydaddy analysis!!! I'm going with 301 minutes!

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Rocky....I'm sorry if my post seems a bit disrespectful to Becca Pope. It was certainly not meant to be that way. I tried to highlight the incredible story of a local Connecticut kid having a lifetime dream almost come true, only to have it delayed by injury. IF she is healthy and comes back this season, it will be wonderful to see her realize that dream.

I respectfully disagree that we are "scratching for material". The entire back half of the recent Moriah Jefferson thread was all about Pope and the larger issue of the UConn/Geno predicament when it comes to playing time this coming season. In fact, this will be one of Geno's biggest 2013/2014 challenges. Without Pope, UConn would have 9 roster players, including Banks coming back from injury and Saniya, a freshman. The injury bug can reduce that to 7 or 8 in the blink of an eye. Imagine playing at Duke in the Jimmy V classic with only 7 healthy players. The issue is very complicated. Can Geno afford to sit out someone with a "minor injury" when it means extra minutes for someone already playing 30 minutes per game? What about players who were healthy, but saw no action in a game, because they were in Geno's "dog house"? Who plays the last 10 minutes of a 40 point blowout in Texas?

In the Pope thread, Doggy had a great analysis of who/how the 2,000 minutes played by the graduating seniors will get distributed. It will be very interesting to see how Geno and staff balance "earned playing time" with the reality of what could be a "thin roster". There is also the related issue of UConn's practices, which reportedly are more difficult than games. Stewie's injury, as well as other minor ailments, occurred during practice. Does Geno throttle back the intensity of everyday practice to lessen the chance of injury? All this will add to an already interesting season.

If your objection is to having a contest, I can assure you we mean no disrespect. Everyone venturing a guess has an opinion about how the issues outlined above will play out. We will all be watching, not just to see IF Pope plays, but also to see how well she handles D1 competition. And I'm certain the whole BY will be cheering for Becca Pope to make her dream come true. Go Huskies..!!

Reaction Score
I've never seen Geno put a walk on in a game where the other team has all their starters still on the court, but just because I don't recall seeing it doesn't mean he's never done it.

I'm certain of one example. Several years back, the entire starting lineup was stinking up the joint against Providence. Geno pulled all the starters, and going up against Providence's starters, the bench promptly scored. The bucket was by Stacey Marron.

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
((3.14 3.14/1) +2)24

- C’mon, Ice. I know, I understand you mean well. But if you’re advocating she eat two pies at one meal, and then do it twice more, every 24 hours… how would you expect her to still fit into a uniform??? She’s training to play basketball, not hibernate.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Not if you guess a really high number. :)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I will guess 175 minutes, which matches either my IQ or weight.
I'm gonna say weight, cause if it was IQ, you'd be too smart to waste your time on here. :cool:

In the event two people pick the same number, priority will be given to people I like.
Well I suppose I could go with my first guess of 251 and hope you like me. :confused: Or just pick another number.

I'll go with 257

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
icebear....turns out meyers was right, 175 is my weight, what is the answer to your formula? I keep getting Geno's mobile phone number when I solve....

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
- C’mon, Ice. I know, I understand you mean well. But if you’re advocating she eat two pies at one meal, and then do it twice more, every 24 hours… how would you expect her to still fit into a uniform??? She’s training to play basketball, not hibernate.
Found a typo error in my algorithm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog