Guess Pope's playing time this season....a contest. | The Boneyard

Guess Pope's playing time this season....a contest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Becca Pope is a local Connecticut kid who always dreamed of playing for the Huskies. Last year she transferred from UConn-Avery Point and after a tryout with Shea Ralph, was granted a rare walk-on opportunity. A knee injury sidelined her for the whole year. This year, if healthy, she will be the 10th and final player on the UConn bench.

A debate has been raging on the BY about how much actual playing time Pope will see this season. Some argue that as a walk-on and the last player on the bench, it will not be much. Others suspect that she "has game" and because the roster is only 10 deep Geno will use her more. Because Nan has asked us to limit the ad hominem attacks and "dueling pistols at dawn" has been outlawed since the mid-1800s, we will have a contest to guess Pope's time on the court this season. In addition to settling this debate, the contest will give us something to root for deep in the 4th quarter of yet another UConn rout.

The contest is simple, guess the total minutes Pope will play. Not the average, the total number of minutes. For example, last year, Heather Buck played 149 minutes. I will guess 175 minutes, which matches either my IQ or weight. In the event two people pick the same number, priority will be given to people I like. Doggy gets top priority since he corrects me ever so gently now and I haven't cried myself to sleep in over a month. Vtcwbuff gets priority since we both love the Civil War. (Only down here they refer to it as the War of Northern Aggression.) And finally, if Shea Ralph even waves at me this season, she wins.

First place prize will be any item from the UConn official store up to $75 in value. One final note, Becca Pope is a lovely kid who just wants to play basketball. This contest is not meant to embarrass her in any way. We wish her fun and success this season. She will have the whole BY cheering her on..!! Go Huskies..!!

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
It might be better to wait until Becca makes the roster before asking how much playing time she will receive. At this time we don't even know if she is still willing to tryout for the team as a walk-on.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I'll guess 161.

However, at the risk of stating the obvious, I'll note her contribution to the team will not be measured by her on-court minutes, it will he her hustle on the practice court, her work ethic to make the other players better.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
It might be better to wait until Becca makes the roster before asking how much playing time she will receive. At this time we don't even know if she is still willing to tryout for the team as a walk-on.

C'mon, join the fun. Although that does bring up an interesting "game the system option". If I pick zero, and she doesn't make the team, chooses not to join the team, or has a season ending injury, do I win or is the contest moot?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
It depends how many games they play which would determine the total minutes. so in stead i'll go with 7-8 minutes per game. that means in closer games she probably won't play much, in average games she'll get in for the last 8 minutes or so, and in big blow outs, could see north of 10 minutes.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
It depends how many games they play which would determine the total minutes. so in stead i'll go with 7-8 minutes per game. that means in closer games she probably won't play much, in average games she'll get in for the last 8 minutes or so, and in big blow outs, could see north of 10 minutes.

Closer games? When will we have closer games? Ain't no such animal.

Reaction Score
Becca Pope is a local Connecticut kid who always dreamed of playing for the Huskies. Last year she transferred from UConn-Avery Point and after a tryout with Shea Ralph, was granted a rare walk-on opportunity. A knee injury sidelined her for the whole year. This year, if healthy, she will be the 10th and final player on the UConn bench.

A debate has been raging on the BY about how much actual playing time Pope will see this season. Some argue that as a walk-on and the last player on the bench, it will not be much. Others suspect that she "has game" and because the roster is only 10 deep Geno will use her more. Because Nan has asked us to limit the ad hominem attacks and "dueling pistols at dawn" has been outlawed since the mid-1800s, we will have a contest to guess Pope's time on the court this season. In addition to settling this debate, the contest will give us something to root for deep in the 4th quarter of yet another UConn rout.

The contest is simple, guess the total minutes Pope will play. Not the average, the total number of minutes. For example, last year, Heather Buck played 149 minutes. I will guess 175 minutes, which matches either my IQ or weight. In the event two people pick the same number, priority will be given to people I like. Doggy gets top priority since he corrects me ever so gently now and I haven't cried myself to sleep in over a month. Vtcwbuff gets priority since we both love the Civil War. (Only down here they refer to it as the War of Northern Aggression.) And finally, if Shea Ralph even waves at me this season, she wins.

First place prize will be any item from the UConn official store up to $75 in value. One final note, Becca Pope is a lovely kid who just wants to play basketball. This contest is not meant to embarrass her in any way. We wish her fun and success this season. She will have the whole BY cheering her on..!! Go Huskies..!!
I'd guess 188 partially because I think she'll be pretty decent and partly because I think next year there will be some serious blowouts. Hopefully it wouldn't be because of any injuries that we definitely don't want or need.

T

TroyHouse66

<<Vtcwbuff gets priority since we both love the Civil War. (Only down here they refer to it as the War of Northern Aggression.)>>
My Dad said that growing up in Berkley, Vah-gin-yah... it was just referred to as.. "THE Whow-wah"

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Closer games? When will we have closer games? Ain't no such animal.
You are probably right, but last year i don't think ANYONE predicted (here anyway) that ND would beat us 3 straight times during the regular season last year. Duke played us even for an entire half. I don't think anyone predicted losses to SJU among others the prior year. During our "streak", no one came within 10 points of UCONN. I hope this team is just as dominant, but it's hard to say.

Also, Geno doesn't want to put players in games where they have a chance to fail. By that, I mean if Duke (or some other good team) basically has all their starters in till close to the end of the game, even in a blowout, I'm not sure Geno would put a walk on in to square off against Chelsey Grey, or Simms, or another top guard for a really good team...

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I think to figure out how many minutes pope gift play, you have to look at last years minutes.

Uconn had 11 players. They are losing 3 for a total of approx. 2000 minutes.

So, how many minutes will be added to returning players?
KML is the only player I think will have reduced minutes. Maybe 100.

Stewart had only 854 minutes. I would add 200 to her total.

Dolson and Hartley should stay the same.

Jefferson and Tuck should see a few hundred in increase. lets say 200 each.

Two players will see significant increases. Banks and Stokes. Both had only 359 and 342 respectively last year. I would add in 300 each.

So, lets see, 2000 available, add in KML for 100 and we have 2100.

There is an increase of 1200 minutes leaving 900 for the two new players.

Chong should see around 600 minutes.

If my math is correct, Pope will see 300 minutes.

There you have it. I can use a new hoodie and a hat with the new huskie.

Reaction Score
Even in blowouts, I think Geno gives most of the minutes to regulars (not necessarily starters)
particularly in the first half of the season. I'll say Pope gets 130 minutes.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
You are probably right, but last year i don't think ANYONE predicted (here anyway) that ND would beat us 3 straight times during the regular season last year. Duke played us even for an entire half. I don't think anyone predicted losses to SJU among others the prior year. During our "streak", no one came within 10 points of UCONN. I hope this team is just as dominant, but it's hard to say.

Also, Geno doesn't want to put players in games where they have a chance to fail. By that, I mean if Duke (or some other good team) basically has all their starters in till close to the end of the game, even in a blowout, I'm not sure Geno would put a walk on in to square off against Chelsey Grey, or Simms, or another top guard for a really good team...

Agree that Geno won't use her when opponents' starters are in, like you say, the good teams.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I mean if Duke (or some other good team) basically has all their starters in till close to the end of the game, even in a blowout, I'm not sure Geno would put a walk on in to square off against Chelsey Grey, or Simms, or another top guard for a really good team...

If Pope is out there with Stokes, Banks, Chong, and Tuck I dont see her or the team being embarrassed by any team if Uconn has blown them out. Problem is, even with Pope, it will be real difficult to hold down the score.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
If Post is out there with Stokes, Banks, Chong, and Tuck I dont see her or the team being embarrassed by any team if Uconn has blown them out. Problem is, even with Post, it will be real difficult to hold down the score.
Who is Post? ;) If you are referring to Pope, I did not say that she'd be embarrassed, or that the team would be embarrassed. However, putting her on the court to guard Grey or Sims or some other elite guard might not be the best recipe for her self confidence, and long term success. I've never seen Geno put a walk on in a game where the other team has all their starters still on the court, but just because I don't recall seeing it doesn't mean he's never done it. I honestly have no idea how good she will be or what kind of success she will have at UCONN. It will be interesting to see what Geno does, but I made my prediction based on my opinion and recollection of how Geno has historically played walk ons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom