Guess our year wasn’t that bad | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Guess our year wasn’t that bad

Reaction Score
These debates are subjective. All of this is about how we feel. We’re not dodging bombs or tidal waves and yet we feel lousy over outcomes of games or seasons almost to the same extent.

I felt lousy after last season. I felt worse after this season because lousy is cumulative. But i’d have a hard time convincing myself that I felt better after the GM loss or the loss to UCLA or Maryland or FSU or. And still feel lousy when I think about those losses.

People in this thread are either trying to make themselves feel better about these past two seasons by emphasizing the ignominy of the Virginia loss or justify their current state of mourning over these past two seasons. Nothing wrong with that. I just don’t see how people can logically argue about emotions.

Given that so many people do it I must not be logical about what constitutes logic.
I guess the opinions are skewed by how people feel about these losses and seasons, but my stance is far more objectively based. There is some support to say 31-3 is superior to 15-17. There are winning players and quality players that carryover to the future. There is evidence of good program management required to win 30+ games vs finish under .500. And again even from a fan perspective there are hours of enjoyment & satisfaction tangible in 30 x 2 vs 15 x 2. Admittedly my opinion is skewed by the philosophy to enjoy the ride and don't fixate only on the destination or end result. And this perspective is easier to embrace at UConn with 4 National Championship in our quiver vs UVA.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I guess the opinions are skewed by how people feel about these losses and seasons, but my stance is far more objectively based. There is some support to say 31-3 is superior to 15-17. There are winning players and quality players that carryover to the future. There is evidence of good program management required to win 30+ games vs finish under .500. And again even from a fan perspective there are hours of enjoyment & satisfaction tangible in 30 x 2 vs 15 x 2. Admittedly my opinion is skewed by the philosophy to enjoy the ride and don't fixate only on the destination or end result. And this perspective is easier to embrace at UConn with 4 National Championship in our quiver vs UVA.
I think you present valid points.

In general we have valid and invalid reasoning to support our perspectives. In the end we'll always justify what we feel is right and scratch our heads at other perspectives.

Personally I welcome people explaining their position or positions regarding issues. I just find it interesting that people (not implying you) don't recognize that an opinion is just an opinion and insist others treat their opinions as facts.

It's nice to probe people to see if they can stretch their thinking and consider our opinions, but what I observe frequently is that we insist others agree with our opinions. That only happens in dictatorships. And those dictators don't know what people really think.

I also find it interesting that people continue to repeat themselves ad nauseam . They treat intellectual debate like this is a game of attrition. I'll wear you out before you wear me out. That's the opposite of intellectual debating imo. If someone won't change their mind after a reasonable effort then most likely they won't ever change their mind. And if they do was the effort employed beneficial?

Obviously we learn by repetitive presentation. And obviously various groups in society employ this technique from marketing of products, to philosophies, to politics. And it works because that's in accordance with the process of learning. But in the Boneyard with strong egos all it does is bring chaos.

In the end if smart people want to put in so much effort to situations that don't really impact events thats obviously up to them and not me. I bring this up with people on occasion only to see if they agree with me. It's obvious to me that there is some value and pleasure in stubbornly pursuing inconsequential endeavors. Or perhaps it's fear of retreating because that makes us look weak and we need to employ this even in situations that are inconsequential.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits
Top Bottom