Guess our year wasn’t that bad | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Guess our year wasn’t that bad

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
UVA is 31-3 and lost to a 16 seed by twenty.
I still feel the irritation of our George Mason
Lose and we won four championships. UVA had a worse season. We'll get over the past two years. UVA will never forget this traumatic experience.

Reaction Score
You guys are drama queens, it is one game and to say 31-3 is worse than under .500 is nuts. UConn was unwatchable, lost to non-tourney teams by 20 and generated apathy.

I’d rather date the prettiest girl even if I knew I’d eventually get dumped than sit in the basement winning 2/5 solitaire games.

Every good team but one ends with a loss. If you can’t take your buddies ribbing or the press obsessing over one game get thicker skin.

Reaction Score
You guys are drama queens, it is one game and to say 31-3 is worse than under .500 is nuts. UConn was unwatchable, lost to non-tourney teams by 20 and generated apathy.

I’d rather date the prettiest girl even if I knew I’d eventually get dumped than sit in the basement winning 2/5 solitaire games.

Every good team but one ends with a loss. If you can’t take your buddies ribbing or the press obsessing over one game get thicker skin.
I guess.....if you only date one pretty girl instead of like 17 and like 4 super mega hotties who are down for some crazy stuff.

Reaction Score
Uva is still in the early stages of becoming a nationally relevant bball program. No sugar coating how bad this loss was, but tough to overlook the regular season accomplishments. We're still hanging 2 banners this year

We'll break through in the ncaa tourney eventually. We were predicted to finish 6th in the ACC this year so I'd say the year was still a nice surprise (minus that historic 3rd loss).

Overall I'd still say my year of fandom as a uva fan went better than that of mine as a uconn fan. Hoping whoever replaces Ollie can change that in the next couple years

Reaction Score
UConn has 4 national championships and hooray for that. They also have 2 NCAA investigations into the program, the first leading to a post season ban and scholarship reduction which helped push legendary coach Jim Calhoun out the door. That can't be ignored. Now his protege Kevin Ollie is ousted for similar reasons as icing on the cake after two sub .500 seasons. How does UConn recover from this recent malaise of it's men's basketball program? Come next fall does it become a bigger story than the UVA historic loss? 10 years from now what is the bigger story? Virginia's historic loss to a 16 seed or the utter collapse of a Division 1 athletic department that at one time held 16(women win this year) national championships in basketball alone. Once Geno calls it quits that dynasty is over and it isn't just because it will be impossible to replace him but that women's basketball will spawn more teams like Tenn, Stamford, Notre Dame, Miss St, Baylor, S. Carolina, improving parity but also making it impossible to duplicate that reign.

Reaction Score
This is the type of loss that damages a coach and program. This will hover over Virginia and Tony Bennett FOREVER.

I mean, Virginia will be good again next year in all likelihood, and Tony Bennett will always be a high end coach.

But this will have a similar effect to the Atlanta Falcons blowing a 28-3 lead in the Super Bowl. Damage to the psyche of the coach and players for the following season.

Let's be real. Tony Bennett has been choking for a while now. This just caps it off.

Virginia has choked up for four consecutive years. Garbage program with outstanding regular seasons

Last edited:
Reaction Score

who said 31-3 is worse than .500 or did you just make that up?

Reaction Score
who said 31-3 is worse than .500 or did you just make that up?
Lots of people in thread said their year now worse than ours and specifically this negates their entire season. I would never trade my UConn fandom but our season & state of program are unfortunately vastly worse than UVA’s.

Reaction Score
Lots of people in thread said their year now worse than ours and specifically this negates their entire season. I would never trade my UConn fandom but our season & state of program are unfortunately vastly worse than UVA’s.

In this thread? No one said that. Liar.

Reaction Score
Somehow saying that our season of blowouts, failure, andcoach firing makes our year better than Va with that loss.....hey, whatever gets you off.

Reaction Score
Somehow saying that our season of blowouts, failure, andcoach firing makes our year better than Va with that loss.....hey, whatever gets you off.

Who said that?

Reaction Score
UVA is 31-3 and lost to a 16 seed by twenty.
I still feel the irritation of our George Mason
Lose and we won four championships. UVA had a worse season. We'll get over the past two years. UVA will never forget this traumatic experience.
Repent

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Let's be real. Tony Bennett has been choking for a while now. This just caps it off.

Virginia has choked up for four consecutive years. Garbage program with outstanding regular seasons
You can't call a program garbage when they consistently make the tournament, have a good team and compete for ACC championships.
They won 2 ACC titles this year.
If Virginia is a garbage program right now, what does that make UConn?
It's hard for us UConn fans to understand, but just because you don't win national championships doesn't mean you are a garbage progam. It's extraordinarily difficult to win the NCAA tournament.

Reaction Score
UConn has 4 national championships and hooray for that. They also have 2 NCAA investigations into the program, the first leading to a post season ban and scholarship reduction which helped push legendary coach Jim Calhoun out the door. That can't be ignored. Now his protege Kevin Ollie is ousted for similar reasons as icing on the cake after two sub .500 seasons. How does UConn recover from this recent malaise of it's men's basketball program? Come next fall does it become a bigger story than the UVA historic loss? 10 years from now what is the bigger story? Virginia's historic loss to a 16 seed or the utter collapse of a Division 1 athletic department that at one time held 16(women win this year) national championships in basketball alone. Once Geno calls it quits that dynasty is over and it isn't just because it will be impossible to replace him but that women's basketball will spawn more teams like Tenn, Stamford, Notre Dame, Miss St, Baylor, S. Carolina, improving parity but also making it impossible to duplicate that reign.

NCAA investigates UConn. & overlooks that UNC had 20 years of fake classes so it looks like they are doing their job!
Calhoun broke his hip that year so don’t see how he could have coached b-ball.

Reaction Score
With 4 rings. Good fan though. The struggle is real. Ollie has been fired.

The thread is about this specific year, which has nothing to do with the four rings, but thanks for calling my fandom out. I get that you’re still salty about being wrong about everything KO this season so it’s all good

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Well they had a great year but I’d hate to be known as the only number 1 seed to lose their first game. Might be a while before we see it again.
Yeah. We didn’t lose any tournament games. We had a way better year.

Reaction Score
Yeah, our season was THAT bad. There are plenty of coaches that had that one "mega hottie" run in the tournament only to follow it up with a sequence of dates that got uglier with time. By at least dating that "good looking" season by making the tournament gives you a chance that she could turn into a "mega hottie". What we were getting was so ugly that not even the most amazing puberty was going to make it look good, ever.

And don't forget how long Calhoun was called a "choker". But he kept getting us "good looking" seasons and they eventually turned into "mega hotties". I don't think Virginia fans will be calling for their coach to be replaced by the, now available, Kevin Ollie just because he was partly responsible for getting ONE hottie.

Reaction Score
Yeah, our season was THAT bad. There are plenty of coaches that had that one "mega hottie" run in the tournament only to follow it up with a sequence of dates that got uglier with time. By at least dating that "good looking" season by making the tournament gives you a chance that she could turn into a "mega hottie". What we were getting was so ugly that not even the most amazing puberty was going to make it look good, ever.

And don't forget how long Calhoun was called a "choker". But he kept getting us "good looking" seasons and they eventually turned into "mega hotties". I don't think Virginia fans will be calling for their coach to be replaced by the, now available, Kevin Ollie just because he was partly responsible for getting ONE hottie.
Thanks for getting the metaphors (17 hotties-league titles mega hotties/ nattys).
But something came up today that out this in perspective.
Mark Sanchez. High draft pick. Solid unglattyearly career but steady. 2 consecutive AFC title games. What is he known for?

Reaction Score
Thanks for getting the metaphors (17 hotties-league titles mega hotties/ nattys).
But something came up today that out this in perspective.
Mark Sanchez. High draft pick. Solid unglattyearly career but steady. 2 consecutive AFC title games. What is he known for?
I think Sanchez is known for the wins. He’s like Rick Ocaceck pulling Paulina Porizkova & Sanchez gets props for doing what he did despite otherwise being/playing ugly as all get out.

Not to bring the vibe down to least common denominator and unfavorite topic, but this makes the case that at some point in not having a job legacy occurs to him & Ollie settles, drops lawsuit and is always known for a national championship.

Reaction Score
Virginia’s season was worse. How is that even arguable?

Every great program has had a period like the one we’re in. You fire the coach, get better, and everyone forgets it happened.

What Virginia did was monumentally, historically bad. A choke job to top all other choke jobs. It will live in for decades as a huge failure. It will never go away, and every win they had this year was an empty gimmick that built up to this embarrassment.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom