Greg Swaim: Big12 About to Wake Up | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Greg Swaim: Big12 About to Wake Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
My opinion: Big12 does not move until the big10 strikes again. Bowlsby indicated they need to be prepared if "something were to happen." I think that means the B1G has to further destabilize the ACC before the Big 12 would be able to engage. As a result the big12 is doing two key pieces of due dilligence. They are assessing the most valuable schools and they are testing the rigidity of the championship game rule.

For me the equation = If The B1G takes 2 and if we cannot get a championship game at 10 and if adding schools can be proven profitable than we will expand.

I'm also particularly intrigued by the concept of the size of the conference and its ability to create a pathway to the NC game. Anyone have further insights on the impact of conference size on this process?
This makes me feel like the dismantling of the ACC will be like the NBA draft. Picture Emmert getting up in front of a room of rowdies and getting booed as he announces: "The Big 10 has the next pick and chooses...Virginia. Big 12 you are on the clock." I suspect that there is a lot of due diligence by the B1g, the SEC and the Big 12 to decide which are the tastiest morsels left to pick from the carcass under various scenarios.

Reaction Score
"We can't continue to monitor things," one high-ranking source at a Big 12 school said Wednesday. "If you monitor, you get passed by. We have to have our own game plan so we aren't reacting any longer.
We may decide 10 is the best option no matter what. But I think we have to talk about every possible scenario as a league."

http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1463673

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The three stooges, MH, S w a i m and Dude, all turned out to be dead wrong this week.

Reaction Score
The three stooges, MH, S w a i m and Dude, all turned out to be dead wrong this week.

Not so fast! Take a look at the thread just started with comments from Ohio State's president.

Reaction Score

Stooges.JPG

Reaction Score
If the Big 12 goes to 14, who do they take?
If you believe the scuttlebutt Florida State, Clemson, Miami and choose one of Louisville, Cincinnati, Virginia Tech, NC State, UConn, SMU, Houston, Central Connecticut State, Wesleyan, Southington High School. Rumor is the SHS was higher on the list but West Virginia objected because their academic standards were too high.

Reaction Score
If you believe the scuttlebutt Florida State, Clemson, Miami and choose one of Louisville, Cincinnati, Virginia Tech, NC State, UConn, SMU, Houston, Central Connecticut State, Wesleyan, Southington High School. Rumor is the SHS was higher on the list but West Virginia objected because their academic standards were too high.

You mean they don't want Memphis? Nobody but the Big East wants those guys.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
http://www.statesman.com/news/sports/big-12-exploring-alliance-with-acc-two-other-leagu/nT7Bt/

Interesting. More indication that size of conference/(coalition) is strategically important to the playoff model. You now have the Big 12 publicly talking about three scenarios expansion, a championship game at 10 teams, and now this alliance? Are they potentially talking about having a cross conference championship game between the Big12 and ACC? is that even doable outside of the bowl structure?

Edit. I think this is more about TV contracts than the playoff model on re-read. Interesting proactive approach. In the event that the 20 team conference model emerges, big12 looking to have contingency plan to growing to required size. But why is the 20 team model lucrative tv wise?

Reaction Score
http://www.statesman.com/news/sports/big-12-exploring-alliance-with-acc-two-other-leagu/nT7Bt/

Interesting. More indication that size of conference/(coalition) is strategically important to the playoff model. You now have the Big 12 publicly talking about three scenarios expansion, a championship game at 10 teams, and now this alliance? Are they potentially talking about having a cross conference championship game between the Big12 and ACC? is that even doable outside of the bowl structure?

Edit. I think this is more about TV contracts than the playoff model on re-read. Interesting proactive approach. In the event that the 20 team conference model emerges, big12 looking to have contingency plan to growing to required size. But why is the 20 team model lucrative tv wise?
ND and Texas formed a "friendship". Anything is possible with this scenario.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You know Fred Smith is far more successful than you'll ever be, right?

LOL so is Murray Lender. Maybe we should scrap ECU and add Quinnipiac.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom