Greatest Moments at Gampel???? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Greatest Moments at Gampel????

Status
Not open for further replies.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
My first date with my wife was a game at Gampel, that's my best memory of the many I have in that building.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Man too many too count. The 2010-2011 season was magical - had a lot of great moments at Gampel.

Reaction Score
Hey everyone:
First game in Gampel vs. St. Johns. We were down by a few just before half time, and then Chris Smith makes a 3 point buzzer beater. I don't recall if that basket made us go ahead, tied the game, or just brought us a few points closer, but that shot was not just the turning point of the game, but of the entire program. I was watching the game at the old Margaritaville on Rt 32 with a bunch of kids from my floor in Alumni, and you could literally feel the energy coming over from the Pavilion a few miles away. The whole Margaritaville exploded as well when Chris made that basket, even though it wasn't just college kids there.

That one basket seemed like an event of earth shattering magnitude. It was as if suddenly everyone knew that UConn was soon going to be a nationally recognized program, a force to recon with for many years to come. At half time we went outside to have a smoke. It was a cold winter night, the air was full of electricity. The drinks and nachos at Margaritaville were good, the fireplace was crackling, the girls were beautiful and they were dealing hugs and kisses.

Reaction Score
The 96 Nova game is my best Gampel memory. Allen went off. Payback from 95 when Nova came in and beat us when we were ranked #1. It wasn't a great game but it was absolute showtime.

Reaction Score
I'm gonna throw in a vote for UConn/Villanova in 1996. Allen vs Kittles. Both teams were 4-0 in the Big East heading into that game, I think it was #6 vs #7....and on top of it, the game was pushed back a day for a snowstorm and bad roads. Villanova had been in town since Saturday and the crowd was extra whipped up for it.

That's the best for me as well for all the reasons you mentioned. Allen drove the lane and dunked on Lawson early in the first half the place went nuts.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
My favorite in person: Bazz game winner over Florida.

#2: 1/19/2002 vs. UNC. Something that the TV cameras didn't pick up. UConn is lighting up North Carolina, and Matt Doherty is trying to get Calhoun's attention in the second half. Calhoun looks over, and Doherty motions both hands down towards the floor, palms down. UNC was asking for mercy on UConn's floor. That was pretty awesome.

I was at the first game against St. Johns. I don't remember much of the game (good reasons for that), but I do remember thinking that UConn might repeat the drubbing it had received 3 weeks earlier in NY. Carnesecca had carved up the press in the previous game. Smith and Henefeld took care of things instead.

Reaction Score
I've been to many of the games mentioned and I think the first game vs St Johns was the best. We were offered $100 each for our tix (1990 money) but told the St Johns fans no way!

Reaction Score
This is SUCH a great thread..'99 MSU when Izzo and Mateen Cleaves came into town anyone? Gampel was ROCKIN'

that game was amazing, we brought out Michael Buffer 2x for a Ready to Rumble encore

Also against Arizona ( in 2000?) when we rushed the court for the first time ever i believe

Reaction Score
The reception for the '90 team. The whole campus came out and met the bus, there were banners all over campus.

Reaction Score
I don't think anyone doubted Sticks ability. It was his inconsistency that gave people fits.

I loved Stanley and I wish that good things in life have come to him. Hem was a good, hardwhorking young man. Wish he could get his degree.

Reaction Score
Sitting next to Andre Drummond at the UCF game 2015

Reaction Score
imno1 said:
Sitting next to Andre Drummond at the UCF game 2015

Wait a minute. There can only be at most two seats next to him (one if he had an aisle seat). The math doesn't seem to be adding up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom