Greatest Moments at Gampel???? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Greatest Moments at Gampel????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It was a loss; but, the memory of a UConn co-ed body surfing the crowd in very limited attire while Florida St was taking free throws (Charlie Ward?) was a moment that I will not soon forget :D

Reaction Score
The loudest I've ever heard Gampel CONSISTENTLY for the WHOLE game has to be vs #1 Texas in '10. So many huge plays where the crowd just went bonkers:
  • Stix throws down half-court alley oop
  • Multiple Majok blocks
  • Dyson steal and tomahawk jam
  • Kemba DEEP 3 as shot clock winds down
  • D-Bev steal and dunk
That place was LOUD throughout the WHOLE game. The ENTIRE student section was going nuts, not just the lower bowl like normal.

Sucks that the team couldn't quite put it together that year.

That was a loud day wasn't it?

I would love to see how many of the Stanley "haters" would love to see him on this years squad?

And another thing, we don;t know all that happened with Majok but I will say it again - he would have been a special Husky if he stayed 3-4 years. HIGH ceiling on that young man

Reaction Score
I'm gonna throw in a vote for UConn/Villanova in 1996. Allen vs Kittles. Both teams were 4-0 in the Big East heading into that game, I think it was #6 vs #7....and on top of it, the game was pushed back a day for a snowstorm and bad roads. Villanova had been in town since Saturday and the crowd was extra whipped up for it.

5:00 to 6:00 in this video.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score

I would love to see how many of the Stanley "haters" would love to see him on this years squad?

And another thing, we don;t know all that happened with Majok but I will say it again - he would have been a special Husky if he stayed 3-4 years. HIGH ceiling on that young man

Agree on all accounts.

Reaction Score
Loudest in person has to be Georgetown in 2012-13. If Niels's shot at the end of the regulation had dropped, we'd be talking about when Gampel's replacement would be completed, because Gampel would have literally exploded.

Reaction Score
Have to agree with @gampelcrazies. The Kemba floater against Nova felt like it lasted forever in the air. Entire placed jumped outta their seats with a roar. Also replaying it with the Bilastrator, Raftery and McD on the call makes it that much better to watch over and over and over again

Reaction Score
mauconnfan said:
That was a loud day wasn't it? I would love to see how many of the Stanley "haters" would love to see him on this years squad? And another thing, we don;t know all that happened with Majok but I will say it again - he would have been a special Husky if he stayed 3-4 years. HIGH ceiling on that young man

Stanley would be a stretch 4 if we could have him now - something he never actually got to do much while here with Adrien (and then Edwards) in the way at that position. He'd have been a better college player taking 4s off the dribble than trying to match 3s on the perimeter. Same with Rudy.

He shouldn't have any haters. Great kid, paid his way back on to the team for a semester to help us to the FF. I kinda hope that he's doing ok now, knowing that he battled some personal issues while here. Injuries robbed him of his chance at the league, which has to be devastating, and he's probably way short of a degree.

Reaction Score
My graduation in '04. It wasn't a basketball memory (for me rushing the floor against 'Zona was) or even Sue Bird's two half court shots against ND my freshman year in the BE final during a blizzard. However, since we are talking greatest memories in the building I still have to go with my graduation as that was a personal moment for me in that building which no game can replicate.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score

Wow you're the man, dont know what this thread would have done without you. I answered the original question as stated, then chose to expand on the topic by describing my favorite UConn game ever, which is why I said "Gampel or not", any other things you'd like to nit-pick at with bold text?

Reaction Score
My graduation in '04. It wasn't a basketball memory (for me rushing the floor against 'Zona was) or even Sue Bird's two half court shots against ND my freshman year in the BE final during a blizzard. However, since we are talking greatest memories in the building I still have to go with my graduation as that was a personal moment for me in that building which no game can replicate.

I shook Bill Cosby's hand at my graduation at Gampel. Not sure about that moment anymore...

Reaction Score
Loudest in person has to be Georgetown in 2012-13. If Niels's shot at the end of the regulation had dropped, we'd be talking about when Gampel's replacement would be completed, because Gampel would have literally exploded.
He had two seconds and a wide open path to the rim!!!! Why Neils why?!?! He was probably shocked that the Gtown player like threw the ball right to him

Reaction Score
He had two seconds and a wide open path to the rim!!!! Why Neils why?!?! He was probably shocked that the Gtown player like threw the ball right to him

I think Niels was hoping at best to just get a piece of the ball and force OT, but the guy threw the ball to him like Fred Brown in 1982, and all of Gampel gasped. That would have been utter chaos.

Reaction Score
I think Niels was hoping at best to just get a piece of the ball and force OT, but the guy threw the ball to him like Fred Brown in 1982, and all of Gampel gasped. That would have been utter chaos.
The roar from Omar's 3 hadn't even stopped yet. Sustaining a timeout and official review.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

I don't think anyone doubted Sticks ability. It was his inconsistency that gave people fits.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Some favorites I was in the building for:
  • 2004 vs OU - cant remember how long we waited in line for this game, but I am not sure I was ever that cold again in my life. Student section was wild that day
  • 2005 vs Cuse - Calhoun and Boeheim both had 700 wins. JC got to 701 first.
  • 2006 vs Nova - Calhoun Banged Sumpter's Mom
  • 2009 vs GTown - celebrating win 800 w/ a win over GTown
  • 2010 vs Texas - Might be the loudest I have heard the building
  • 2011 vs Nova - Kemba
  • 2012 vs Providence - Team playing for nothing but pride. Won't go down in history but was very proud of our team that day.
  • 2013 vs Florida - Bazz

Reaction Score
Stomping a highly ranked OU team in 04 capped by Taliek's cross over one handed dish.

The snow game against Pitt. You suck Chevy.

I couldn't believe we lost the Pitt game. That was the craziest I remember Gampel in my four years.

There was a massive snow storm and a lot of people couldn't make the game so they let students in for free. Gampel was packed with students and the place was going crazy. Unfortunately we were awful in the second half and lost by 10.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=250220041

Reaction Score
Oh I don't know how about when the team came home with the Hardware in 1999, 2004, 2011 and 2014

Nothing beat those moments at Gampel !!!!!

Reaction Score
Texas a couple years ago was definitely the loudest I've ever heard gampel. There were plenty of times where you legitimately could not hear the person next to you.

Reaction Score
Really? That game was a steaming pile. The team looked cooked after that one.

The 15-0 run in the second half - including 11 points from Kemba - is a five minute sequence every UConn fan should re-watch if given the chance. Given the competing variables at the time - Notre Dame was ranked eighth, it was Kemba's last home game ever, and Ben Hansbrough was a perfect villain - it was as revved up as I've ever heard the place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom