Arizona

Just outside (in no particular order) would be

Mich st
Ohio st
Gtown
Mich
Villanova
Cinci
Agree with everything, but I think Michigan St would be in the top 10 in place of Syracuse.

Reaction Score
Isn't this like the 10th one of this type of article in the last few years? UConn is usually in the 5-9 range so I'll say that is where they fall in this list. 4 national championships and many BE championships but the inconsistency of a few bad years holds them back from a higher ranking. Plus if this analysis is going back to 1938 that hurts UConn. They usually do better with the ones that do a ranking starting in 1985 (the year the NCAA Tournament was expanded to 64 teams).
If they are judging programs basically from their existence, you can see some surprises like a St John's making the top 25. IIRC, St John's is ranked top 10 for all time wins in college basketball history.

Reaction Score
Ranking formula from the article:

"The rankings were compiled using an objective statistical formula based on 13 categories: wins, losses, national championships, Final Four appearances, Elite Eight appearances, NCAA Tournament bids, regular-season championships, NIT championships (they held significant value long ago), total weeks ranked, wins over ranked opponents, top-10 NBA Draft picks, first-round/11-30 NBA draft picks and second round/31-60 NBA draft picks."
What the heck do NBA draft picks have to do with being a good college program? Especially if you are going back as Far as this goes for some stats, it is just a silly stat. Example UConn 2006. That team had draft picks up upon draft picks. It was maybe the 10 th best team. Plus 2nd round picks are basically the equivalent of NFL free agent draftees. You want to look at what a college team accomplished, look at the TEAM accomplishments.

Reaction Score
What the heck do NBA draft picks have to do with being a good college program? Especially if you are going back as Far as this goes for some stats, it is just a silly stat. Example UConn 2006. That team had draft picks up upon draft picks. It was maybe the 10 th best team. Plus 2nd round picks are basically the equivalent of NFL free agent draftees. You want to look at what a college team accomplished, look at the TEAM accomplishments.
While, in a certain way, I agree with the spirit of your criticism, I can see the logic in considering a program's ability to get players to the NBA. This is somewhat like ranking degree programs based on the earnings of their graduates.

Reaction Score
54. Providence
Record since 1938-39: 1,147-768 | Regular-season titles: 0
NCAA Tournaments: 20 | Final Fours: 2
Weeks ranked: 143 | Top-60 NBA picks: 28

On the top five list of most surprising things I learned doing this list: Providence hangs zero regular-season conference championship banners for men's basketball.
First of all PC wasn’t even in a conference until the Big East. So they wouldn’t have lots of championships. Secondly, they were college basketball in New England from the 50s through the 70s. They played the national schedule and played it to win while the Yankee Conference teams were the equivalents of the current MAAC ON THE NATIONAL scene. At various times others made runs, Holy Cross in the Cousy as player era and a bit later. BC in the Cousy as coach era and a bit later. But throughout Providence was the program they had to beat. Plus they were NIT Champs when that, not the NCAA was considered the more prestigious title. Teams, especially eastern ones, often chose the NIT over the NCAA if they got invites to both. PC won it twice and got to the Finals at least one other time maybe twice. I read somewhere that Cousy’s BC team one year choosing the NCAA tournament because they thought it would be easier to make a run than the NIT.

I don’t think much of PCs program any more. They will and do struggle to seriously compete at a national level. But historically they were New England basketball

Reaction Score
While, in a certain way, I agree with the spirit of your criticism, I can see the logic in considering a program's ability to get players to the NBA. This is somewhat like ranking degree programs based on the earnings of their graduates.
Fair enough. But also it is a very recent phenomenon too. Not really relevant before maybe 1990

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Having a lot of one-and-dones does not make you a great program. It probably means you are a cheater.
1605742613124.png

"Dude!"

Reaction Score
Nova has 3 NCs - has to be ahead of Cuse, Zona, Lville
Remember this is going back to the 30s...cuse will get credit for all those helm trophies

I think nova slots in right behind uconn (and indiana falls way down) if you're talking 64team tourny era, but they had 30 years of meh between NCs and I'm not old enough to know what happened before that

Reaction Score
54. Providence
Record since 1938-39: 1,147-768 | Regular-season titles: 0
NCAA Tournaments: 20 | Final Fours: 2
Weeks ranked: 143 | Top-60 NBA picks: 28

On the top five list of most surprising things I learned doing this list: Providence hangs zero regular-season conference championship banners for men's basketball.
"Providence hangs zero regular-season conference championship banners for men's basketball."
You do have to admire their consistency............ :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I agree. It's more like double counting your recruiting ability than it is a team accomplishment.

Reaction Score
"Providence hangs zero regular-season conference championship banners for men's basketball."
You do have to admire their consistency............ :rolleyes:
CBS has them in the top 16 for this year’s tournament. Along with Villanova and Creighton.

Reaction Score
top ten eve with the haters

you can’t deny the dominance in the 99-05 era

Reaction Score
Duke, UNC, Kansas, Kentucky and Indiana are probably the only programs that should be ranked ahead of UConn. UConn is in the top 5 most consecutive conference titles won with that run in the 50s. Gonzaga appears on that list twice.

Reaction Score
So definitely top 25 since they have up to 26 out now. Agree with others that UConn has to be top ten, though it will be interesting to see how this point system shakes out.

Can you imagine, in 1985, if someone had told you, hey, in 35 years, UConn will be considered one of the top 25 programs in college basketball history, let alone top 10 ??? Crazy

Of course, at that same time, they would have told you the women's program would be head and shoulders above everyone else as THE top basketball program in history.

Reaction Score
I doubt UConn or Villanova are top 10 all time. Since 1980 sure, but before Villanova was the better program I would guess but they weren’t on a level with the ACC, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, programs of that type. UConn wasn’t even in the conversation until the mid-80s. We were a good regional program. Remember they weren’t even the first choice for the original Big East. We got asked because Holy Cross was de-emphasizing athletics and said no thanks. So yeah, if you start in the 80s we and probably Villanova too are a top 10-15 program (I think Villanova is more like 12-15) but all time not so much.

Reaction Score
Just guessing top 10...

UK
Ucla
Duke
Unc
Kansas
Indiana
UConn
Louisville
Syracuse
Arizona

Just outside (in no particular order) would be

Mich st
Ohio st
Gtown
Mich
Villanova
Cinci

Yep, that's a pretty good list. Consistent winners.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom