Great win by ND... | The Boneyard

Great win by ND...

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
i really thought we had it up 4 with a few minutes left, but too many mistakes down the stretch and ND's defense was just too much. great battle tho and what you'd expect between 2 of the top 3 teams in WCBB...

i really thought ND's defense was spectacular and we had no answer for it. of course, our FT shooting was hovering around 50% for much of the game and that didn't help either. still, congrats to ND in a great win.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Sorry but ND's defense wasn't so much great as it was regularly given non calls. Several non calls resulted in breakaway baskets. Called the same way it was at the UConn end and ND has to back off and give space. It was a function of how the game was called.

We lost the game at the foul line in regulation not to ND's defense.

Reaction Score
They continue to make big mistakes at crunch time..............Baylor and Now ND........This is a great learning tool and Geno will rally them next week..........Go UCONN

Reaction Score
who is the chick behind the desk at CBS? and why would we drop below Stanford in the rankings when we beat them?

Reaction Score
Stokes got great rebounding skills and, in my opinion, has to play more minutes. Have you noticed her running down court? A wide body. Impressing build! And the way she rebounds!

Because of last year's transfer we are weak at the power forward spot. I'd love to see TWO post players together: Dolson and Stokes. Buck can back them up.

Then again, what the hell do I know. I'm just :mad: right now.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Sorry but ND's defense wasn't so much great as it was regularly given non calls. Several non calls resulted in breakaway baskets. Called the same way it was at the UConn end and ND has to back off and give space. It was a function of how the game was called.

We lost the game at the foul line in regulation not to ND's defense.

Wish I could agree more wholeheartedly, but this is a somewhat familiar refrain against very physical teams. Great teams can adjust to the reality of the game as called and still make plays. This game did not strike me as a "we wuz robbed" affair by a long shot. The non-travel that was called a travel on Doty was the one that hurt the worst

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
who is the chick behind the desk at CBS? and why would we drop below Stanford in the rankings when we beat them?
The thing about rankings is that many times teams suffer from the "What have you done for me lately?" syndrome. That's what make them so laughable.

Reaction Score
Because talking heads like to hear themselves talk and rarely get it right. Except Kara Lawson. She doesn't go for the sensational comments. Keeps it realistic. But funny things happen with voters. They have short memories. They will remember the UConn loss to ND, not remember the UConn win over Stanford.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Stokes got great rebounding skills and, in my opinion, has to play more minutes. Have you noticed her running down court? A wide body. Impressing build! And the way she rebounds!

Because of last year's transfer we are weak at the power forward spot. I'd love to see TWO post players together: Dolson and Stokes. Buck can back them up.

Then again, what the hell do I know. I'm just :mad: right now.

Stokes is making progress for sure - she did some good things out there in a tough ballgame. Let's hope the conference season sees her ramping it up even more... we need her contributions in the post-season

Reaction Score
Diggins turned things on at the end and took over offensively and defensively.
They effectively denied Hartley late and no one else on UConn could do anything.

Free throws, turnovers, and another solid lead blown in the last 10 minutes. Disappointing.

Reaction Score
Sorry, not trying to be rude... not a great win for ND. A cheap win for ND. This game will hopefully be the wake up call needed as they have not been looking so hot as of late. KML is a freshman.... while her game today was not great it is important to keep she in mind she is a freshman. Hayes was like last years final four... disappointing... She had a couple good moments tonight but she needs to be more consistant. The fact that Dolson was being bumped and pushed and there was a lack of calls hurt us. Harty was great but she needs support... like Maya last year.

Like the final four last year... this game was decided by the officiating and not the players on the court. So not a good win.... but a cheap, sad, pathetic win.

Reaction Score
Wish I could agree more wholeheartedly, but this is a somewhat familiar refrain against very physical teams. Great teams can adjust to the reality of the game as called and still make plays. This game did not strike me as a "we wuz robbed" affair by a long shot. The non-travel that was called a travel on Doty was the one that hurt the worst

I agree with you to a point. However, I just do not understand the "Novosel call". She drives and throws her body around to get a foul called the majority of the time. And then for UCONN to get molested on the other end is completely absurd. I can take a loss anytime but not when there were some obvious home court advantage calls made. ND did play very very good defense in the overtime period and UCONN could not figure out the trap at the top of the key.

Reaction Score
Stokes is making progress for sure - she did some good things out there in a tough ballgame. Let's hope the conference season sees her ramping it up even more... we need her contributions in the post-season
Exactly! We're going to need her contributions. And I hope to see her lots of minutes so she gets experience. She seemed confident today. A great sign!

Reaction Score

lol given that Stanford is struggling to beat Oregon St

We won't drop below #3 in the AP. But the coaches poll is terrible, and they tend to subscribe to the lose=move down philosophy. But I dont think even they would drop a team for losing to the #3 team. On the road. In OT.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I identified 8 points in the second half where the foul by an ND player lead directly to a ND basket. Not a possession a basket. Two quick examples are the one where Stef had the rebound and Mallory grabbed her knocking her to the ground with the ball coming loss to Achonwa. The second was going back door and hitting Bria's elbow/forearm not near the ball leading to the Novosel breakaway.

Physical play is one thing. Ignoring clear fouls is something else.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Got to be able to get Stef the ball in the low post so she can make layups or draw fouls. She shot two free throws against a player like Peters who is a foul magnet. How many times did she setup down low and be in a position to get a pass. Not Many.

She's got to take advantage of her size and so far this year she's not.

I was disappointed in KML as I was hoping she would show up big. She started out great, then made Freshmen mistakes and Geno took her out of the game down the stretch in OT. This was a learning experience for her and I'm sure she'll rebound when they play ND again.

Still a Gutsy win by ND. When necessary they picked up their physical play and imposed their will on this team down the stretch. Baylor was able to do the same.

Reaction Score
I agree with you to a point. However, I just do not understand the "Novosel call". She drives and throws her body around to get a foul called the majority of the time. And then for UCONN to get molested on the other end is completely absurd. I can take a loss anytime but not when there were some obvious home court advantage calls made. ND did play very very good defense in the overtime period and UCONN could not figure out the trap at the top of the key.

Refs tend to reward the more aggressive team. Driving into the lane = aggressive. Tough defense = aggressive.
UConn was relying more on its 3 point shooting -- successfully to be sure -- but that's not going to draw fouls.

Reaction Score
Got to be able to get Stef the ball in the low post so she can make layups or draw fouls. She shot two free throws against a player like Peters who is a foul magnet. How many times did she setup down low and be in a position to get a pass. Not Many.

I was disappointed in KML as I was hoping she would show up big. She started out great, then made Freshmen mistakes and Geno took her out of the game down the stretch in OT. This was a learning experience for her and I'm sure she'll rebound when they play ND again.

Still a Gutsy win by ND. When necessary they picked up their physical play and imposed their will on this team down the stretch. Baylor was able to do the same.

Agreed on all points.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
We gave that game away. We're going to hand them their ass in Hartford in February.

Hope you're right.

The downfall of UConn today was turnovers, fouls and an overall lack of poise. Like the Baylor game, this one was winnable and that's what is so aggravating.

UConn held Novosel to 5-20 FG shooting, but she shot 10-11 from the FT line. Exactly what we knew couldn't happen.

KML had a very, very tough game and one that most every freshman has to experience. She was careless with the ball and was schooled by the quick hands of the Irish players. She also could not get open as Mallory was all over her (like we expected would happen).

I watched this game and I just think that this team is not going to beat really good teams with the 4 guards. As Geno said early on in the season, how far the team goes will depend a lot on the development of Kiah Stokes. Dolson and 4 perimeter players will not be good enough in the half-court against really good teams. That is a lot to put on a freshman and honestly I don't think it's going to play out the way we want. But UConn really struggled to score today in the half-court with 4 perimeter players. Really good teams are showing they can shut the perimeter game down and UConn has no answer with just Dolson in the post.

Reaction Score

I agree. As great a passer as Dolson is at the top of the key, her place is underneath the basket! Dolson and Stokes should (very soon, I'm praying :) ) control the low post.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
sorry but i just don't get the whining and complaining about the refs. it was a physical game. ND took the ball to the hoop much more than UCONN did and as a result were fouled. UCONN was basically a jump shooting team. our post players only took 10 shots, but our guards did not drive nearly as much as the ND guards did. when you drive and take a shot, chances are fouls will be called.

Hayes, Peters, and Achonwa went out in the first half with 2 fouls but UCONN did zero to build a lead with the 2 post players on the bench. and the amount of time during that period in the 1st half that the UCONN post players spent on the perimeter was surprising to me. ND was just the better team today. if you can't see that and admit it, then go ahead and complain about the calls and talk about how UCONN was robbed.

UCONN was sloppy with the ball and got it stolen way too many times by ND. we lacked poise down the stretch and ND did what they needed to win the game. as i said, great win by ND and congrats to them.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score

Here's what I mean - and it has to do with my other posts about being strong with the ball and making some aggressive individual plays to get to the line:

1) Refs are much more likely to give you a call when you're strong with the ball, especially when you take it to the rim. We've all seen enough hoops to see how refs feel 'forced' to make calls in these situations. Novasel and others got calls but this is not unusual or surprising given what she was doing and how she was doing it - and she's playing at home.
2) Refs are not nearly as likely to call the 'muggings' that defenses like ND's commit in on-ball defense, holding people, pushing through screens, etc., particularly once the game has established a certain character. It was clear this was going to be a very physical Big East game pretty early. I'm not saying they weren't fouls, I'm just sayin........

Reaction Score
Hope you're right.

The downfall of UConn today was turnovers, fouls and an overall lack of poise. Like the Baylor game, this one was winnable and that's what is so aggravating.

UConn held Novosel to 5-20 FG shooting, but she shot 10-11 from the FT line. Exactly what we knew couldn't happen.

KML had a very, very tough game and one that most every freshman has to experience. She was careless with the ball and was schooled by the quick hands of the Irish players. She also could not get open as Mallory was all over her (like we expected would happen).

I watched this game and I just think that this team is not going to beat really good teams with the 4 guards. As Geno said early on in the season, how far the team goes will depend a lot on the development of Kiah Stokes. Dolson and 4 perimeter players will not be good enough in the half-court against really good teams. That is a lot to put on a freshman and honestly I don't think it's going to play out the way we want. But UConn really struggled to score today in the half-court with 4 perimeter players. Really good teams are showing they can shut the perimeter game down and UConn has no answer with just Dolson in the post.

Sí. Exactamente.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline