Great Teams find a way to win | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Great Teams find a way to win

Reaction Score
Need all those people sayin we were better with Clingan on the court over sanogo to eat a whole plate of crow tonight. No knock on Clingan, but Sanogo is the All-American center (this year).
I don't disagree - but that stretch where Clingan played 5 minutes in the second half was about 10-15 minutes in real time. Sanogo came back to the game fresh and dominated. Its a huge benefit to rest Sanogo while the opposing team still has to commit fully to defending the post while he sits.

Plus, Clingan had almost a rebound a minute and didn't miss a shot. Just comical we have those two at the 5.

Reaction Score
Yo. I was telling my lady about that Sanogo quote. Not sure he meant it to sound as cold as it was. But that was some cold blooded talk. “They thought they could win, but they could not”

Probably gonna be a theme.
"They thought they had a chance to win the game tonight; they did not." A.S.

Attachments

• 43AA8904-E0A4-49C1-BB13-0803DACE8EC7.jpeg
    43AA8904-E0A4-49C1-BB13-0803DACE8EC7.jpeg
    467.3 KB · Views: 156
Reaction Score
Butler fans should enjoy this 22 point loss. DVR it. Won’t be this close the next game at UConn.
I found their board… they were arguing that the flagrant on the double slap to the face of Newton was a bad call because initially they called it out of bounds off UConn, also they said the refs screwed them. To me, the fact that they initially tried to call nothing on a play where Newton was fouled 3 times says you were not screwed by the refs, you blew them in the pregame warmup

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I found their board… they were arguing that the flagrant on the double slap to the face of Newton was a bad call because initially they called it out of bounds off UConn, also they said the refs screwed them. To me, the fact that they initially tried to call nothing on a play where Newton was fouled 3 times says you were not screwed by the refs, you blew them in the pregame warmup
If only those biased refs didn’t cost them 20 points, they woulda had a chance.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
Some cold baskets early but like every game when it gets to ~10-10 the Huskies hit the afterburners. Both a great game and one of their poorer showings in some respects. It does reinforce the whole "We" thing going on though, there are enough good players that at least a couple are going to be hot on a given night and the roster is flexible enough to use that. Credit to DH, in game coaching is way better now that he has a roster that can fully play his style.

Alleyne was on tonight, so great to see the spark lit vs LUI is turning into a fire.

Adama was full on, he had some great plays tonight and just beasted out. He was making buckets when it felt like he was quadruple teamed.

I love DC but tonight he struggled a bit, no knock on him here at all - he's a monster but also a freshman too. I think having those tough nights only help motivate him and I expect we'll see him hard in the next one out. All credit to Bates as well, he's good.

I love that Newton gets tomhawked in the face and his response is to drill the two foul shots. Our guys are tough as hell.

I can definitely see Butler upsetting someone... just not the Huskies :D Credit to them, this was the lowest scoring game for the Huskies so far this season.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Butler fans think they were absolutely railroaded by the refs. Their assessment of us is that we foul on every possession, and therefore the refs can't call enough fouls to keep up.

Yeah.

They didn’t get railroaded at all. At one point in 2nd half we had 6 fouls they had one. And it was ridiculous.

I will say two things though. Adama used his shoulder very effectively tonight to create space, and I really like the no calls for that stuff, I think centers should be allowed leeway in space carving, but we see it called all the time all over college hoops, I think what made them crazy is Bates then got called for a less forceful one than at least 2 of Adamas. You can tell when a player has arrived when refs give them respect. Kemba had it, Emeka had it , Adama has it. He’s earned it.

Also AJ should’ve been T’d up ( in my mind) for that shoulder ram on Bates after that hard sceeen, AJ lost his head briefly there, coach did a good job reeling him in, but AJ had an extra edge tonight, was yapping more than normal. The kid is SO competitive and it’s what makes him so great. Just needs to be careful getting too emotional, he’s been so great this month because his composure has been tremendous.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As the game was over the guy in front of me was saying stuff about how the refs were terrible and that is why they lost. I tried to tell him maybe, but not worth 22 points bad. He thought that whatever bad calls there were totaled more than the 22 pint win total.

Reaction Score
Need all those people sayin we were better with Clingan on the court over sanogo to eat a whole plate of crow tonight. No knock on Clingan, but Sanogo is the All-American center (this year).
Did people seriously say that? smdh

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
THIS. Having Clingan to spell adama- whether it’s foul trouble, off night or just needs a breather- cannot be understated, not only because of what don brings to the table, but also because of what it does for AS. Adama not only made massive leaps in his game in the offseason, but he also now has a superb backup which means he can play absolutely flat out every second he is on the floor. Last year he just had to do too much and couldn’t sustain the level of play for the number of mins we needed him to. Depth is a BEAUTIFUL thing.
3 years before your first post, and this.

THIS indeed.

EDIT: Oh, I just noted that you wrote "understated" when I think you meant "overstated."

Reaction Score

I mean, the refs generally swallowed the whistle for Butler on D. End of game was 9 fouls for them, 15 for us. They got to the line 13 times vs our 4. They were in the bonus for almost half of the 2nd half.

In general, I thought they let the teams both play, but if there was any edge, if was clearly for the home team

Reaction Score
Sanofo was great, but Clingan had 4 points and 8 rebounds in 9 minutes. Not much drop off even tonight.

Reaction Score
Tough game. Lots closer than the score indicated. On the road, physical game and a big W, no complaints.
Cant really agree with that though. Was it really that close? They got out to an 8-2 start then we went on a 17-4 run and they were basically 8-10 down the rest of the game until they got that run to get it to 4 and then AS went off and a couple other guys hit some shots and it was 15 point lead in like what felt was a minute. I never had any doubt we`d win this game in fact we won by double the margin i predicted. This game problably felt closer because we never managed to get out to a huge lead until the final 6 minutes but it was never really close or back and forth with both teams taking leads.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
O
Butler fans think they were absolutely railroaded by the refs. Their assessment of us is that we foul on every possession, and therefore the refs can't call enough fouls to keep up.

Yeah.
UConn only shot 4 free throws and Adama didn't even go to the line. They can suck eggs.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom