Great offensive staff, according to BD | The Boneyard

Great offensive staff, according to BD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
From Dez's blog. http://fw.to/23kQm2a

UConn coach Bob Diaco got a little chippy when asked whether he has reached out to some of his mentors, given the offensive woes the Huskies are enduring. "There's nobody to talk to," he said sternly. "I got a great offensive staff. They're doing an awesome job. There's nobody to talk to. They got a great plan. They're doing fine." ... UConn is 123rd in total offense at 256.2 yards a game. The Huskies have moved up to No. 20 on defense (325).

I wonder what the offense would look like WITHOUT a great offensive staff. I guess we don't score at all against Tulane. It's speak like this which has me shaking my head. Dear Bob, they are not doing fine.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
He should have just stopped talking at " I got an offensive staff". There has been absolutely nothing on the offensive side of the ball that has been "awesome", "great" or even "fine" this season.

Reaction Score
so you want him to throw his coaches under the bus? Tell them he will be seeking advice and opinions elsewhere? Tell them they suck publicly? Yeah that will be great for team morale. The question was poignantly asked and put him in a spot to either defend or trash his staff............and if I got this right you want him to trash his staff publicly for what you think would be the betterment of the development of this team......come on....Despite adversity, it's been 6 games you don't give up and quit on your staff after that, especially with the major lack of talent this offense has...

Reaction Score
so you want him to throw his coaches under the bus? Tell them he will be seeking advice and opinions elsewhere? Tell them they suck publicly? Yeah that will be great for team morale. The question was poignantly asked and put him in a spot to either defend or trash his staff..and if I got this right you want him to trash his staff publicly for what you think would be the betterment of the development of this team.come on....Despite adversity, it's been 6 games you don't give up and quit on your staff after that, especially with the major lack of talent this offense has...

I agree with this. I also hope that his actions behind closed doors don't exactly line up with his public comments.

Reaction Score
I am sure that just like when he talks about love and care for the players in his press conference after a brutal performance, it is different message in private than with the team and he does not think they are doing a great job and is letting them know it. Diaco is too smart and driven to fail over the long term and he is not planning a quick fix as it is hard to do during the season and he is not playing for his job this year so does not need to make desperate short term moves. He has done well with the defense. Unfortunately think Foley is the one to take the fall for the O line and Diaco keeps Cummings as they go way back together and he becomes the line coach and co-OC (keeps title to save face) but Diaco brings in a new OC with an offense suited for a dual threat QB in the off season.

What I fine more interesting is that the bloom looks to be off the rose with Diaco and the media based on Dez, Fuller and Silver articles and they are not just going to just let Diaco ramble on unchallenged anymore.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Instead of asking questions, they know he won't and shouldn't answer. How about they ask him, what he thinks needs to be fixed?

Is it missed assignments? Why? Pick any of the jailbreaks and ask what is the OL read? What was the key? What is the right call at the line? What should it have been?

Was it technique? Are they doing it correctly in practice? What's not working here?

You don't need to throw players or coaches under the bus to answer these questions. It's a chance to educate all of us. Bring us into the huddle and give us a reason to keep pulling for these guys. Turn a negative into a positive.

Otherwise, we keep b itching about the same things week after week and risk tuning out on the program.

It's still FB, it's not brain surgery, we can handle it.

Reaction Score
That first down 2 point conversion was something of pure offensive brilliance!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
This thread seems like as good of a place as any to ask this question.

Is the QB allowed to call an audible?

I ask for the simple reason that there are plays where it is obvious the defense knows it's a run and puts 9 guys in the box. No running play is designed to account for blocking 9 defenders at the line of scrimmage.

I would hope by now that the staff would be able to send a play in to the QB and also give the QB one audible that can be called to alter the play to either side.

A final concern on the play calling is that it's way to common for UConn to break the huddle with only 10-12 seconds on the play clock. That's barely enough time to get to the line, set the offense and snap the ball.

Reaction Score
This thread seems like as good of a place as any to ask this question.

Is the QB allowed to call an audible?

I ask for the simple reason that there are plays where it is obvious the defense knows it's a run and puts 9 guys in the box. No running play is designed to account for blocking 9 defenders at the line of scrimmage.

I would hope by now that the staff would be able to send a play in to the QB and also give the QB one audible that can be called to alter the play to either side.

A final concern on the play calling is that it's way to common for UConn to break the huddle with only 10-12 seconds on the play clock. That's barely enough time to get to the line, set the offense and snap the ball.

Your last point has been troubling for me all season. We are way too slow on the field. Just one of the little details here and there, that leads to losing. It was painful early on against BYU, a little better now, but still - one of the easiest and simple ways for the offense to get control of the flow of the game, is to be fast and crisp during that play clock and not let the defense have a chance to breath before getting set at the line of scrimmage. Lots of offensive coaches base their entire offense, on that simple concept of getting to the line of scrimmage and running a play, as fast as you can. That is definitely on the coaching staff to speed up the tempo and speed of practicing and translating it to game time. Probably, a factor, of hiring a defensive minded head coach. I highly doubt that if we hired a clone of say Dana Holgersen, or Chip Kelly, that we'd be running the play clock down like we do now - both letting it run all the way down, and doing it sloppily.

Reaction Score
The answer was somewhere between absurd and arrogant and I doubt Coach meant it to be either. But you can't just shoot off an over the top defensive response like that. Hopefully it doesn't reflect his assessment of our performance with any accuracy, but unless you're on some strange medication it's pretty obvious we've been horrible on offense. I can see why the reporters might think answers like this are insulting their intelligence though. By association they're forced to do the same to their readers by printing it. He needs a communications intervention before one of these sessions gets really uncomfortable. It's just going to make a difficult situation worse.

Reaction Score
What confused me on the safety besides having Max lined up like 9 yards deep in the end zone was why we did not have extra linemen in that situation instead of two tight ends and if tight end blocking has been an issue the whole year why was the call to run behind both tight ends. Sure I was not the only one who saw the formation who called that safety before the snap as it seemed inevitable.

Reaction Score
What confused me on the safety besides having Max lined up like 9 yards deep in the end zone was why we did not have extra linemen in that situation instead of two tight ends and if tight end blocking has been an issue the whole year why was the call to run behind both tight ends. Sure I was not the only one who saw the formation who called that safety before the snap as it seemed inevitable.

That would have been a safety even if Max was lined 2 yards behind the QB. The defender drive Tommy Myers right into the backfield.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

That would have been a safety even if Max was lined 2 yards behind the QB. The defender drive Tommy Myers right into the backfield.

That was his point. If you are going to line the RB up 9 yards deep, don't do it in a formation with 2 TE's.

Reaction Score
so you want him to throw his coaches under the bus? Tell them he will be seeking advice and opinions elsewhere? Tell them they suck publicly? Yeah that will be great for team morale. The question was poignantly asked and put him in a spot to either defend or trash his staff..and if I got this right you want him to trash his staff publicly for what you think would be the betterment of the development of this team.come on....Despite adversity, it's been 6 games you don't give up and quit on your staff after that, especially with the major lack of talent this offense has...

How about I have a very good staff, we understand the issues and are looking to make changes which will improve the teams on the field performance.

Geez, We are not fine, we just scored 3 points against Tulane.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
From Dez's blog. http://fw.to/23kQm2a

UConn coach Bob Diaco got a little chippy when asked whether he has reached out to some of his mentors, given the offensive woes the Huskies are enduring. "There's nobody to talk to," he said sternly. "I got a great offensive staff. They're doing an awesome job. There's nobody to talk to. They got a great plan. They're doing fine." ... UConn is 123rd in total offense at 256.2 yards a game. The Huskies have moved up to No. 20 on defense (325).

I wonder what the offense would look like WITHOUT a great offensive staff. I guess we don't score at all against Tulane. It's speak like this which has me shaking my head. Dear Bob, they are not doing fine.

Does he talk to everyone like they are some 17 year old pimple faced child - the rah rah was motivating in the beginning - starting to get turned of by his answers to questions lately and his rah rah is starting to lose its luster on me.

You cant throw the coaches under the bus but his choice of words...well.

'How would you describe the offensive staff if the offense was ranked in the top 100?' Super fantastic awesomeness

'Would you mind speaking specifically at what the offensive coaches are doing an awesome job at?' The care and love they show these guys is super fantastic awesomeness; their ability to play call out of our own endzone is just second to none, I say second to none; and the doughnuts are here on time every morning. This staff has a plan and its a great plan - its kept us in every game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think there is a communication disconnect here, he doesn't understand the culture of New England/Connecticut. We don't like to be nice - we like straight talk. This isn't the south where you back talk and faux compliment. I would be happy with simple honesty. Like Calhoun on Gomes "I up!"

Reaction Score
I think there is a communication disconnect here, he doesn't understand the culture of New England/Connecticut. We don't like to be nice - we like straight talk. This isn't the south where you back talk and faux compliment. I would be happy with simple honesty. Like Calhoun on Gomes "I up!"

LOL Diaco is from NJ.

Reaction Score
Back to this ... What offense would you run if you can't block anyone? Permeable it was called.

And then ... How do you structure this horror to develop OLine for future games?

Stop throwing bricks. I am not sure that his answer isn't exactly what it should be.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Stop, just stop.

We've been through a decade of Edsall and about 50 cumulative years of Calhoun and Auriemma.

We wouldn't recognize straight talk if it bit us in the ass.

We'll just overlook the lack of it as long as they win.

(That said, I honestly never have any idea what Diaco is talking about.)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Very true. It was knocked over on his back. How that even happens on a short yardage situation is beyond me. That said Max would have had a chance if he near the LOS. There was no chance at 7 yards deep.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I keep going back to hiring an Offensive Coordinator who didn't call plays in his last job.

But, whatever, Disco is putting his coaching future in his hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom