Great coach Meier comment about Morgan | The Boneyard

Great coach Meier comment about Morgan

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
"How important is it to have some veterans on this team who have been in situations like this in the past?

We took the lead at 21-20 and they called a time out. I distinctly remember Tuck in the huddle saying, ‘we’re never giving up this lead. Do not give up this lead. They never get the lead back.’ She was just adamant with her teammates. So, I get out of their way. I’m smart enough to know when I’m not smart enough and I just got out of their way. The veterans just took over"

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I've said it in other posts, but there's a reason Morgan as chosen by her teammates to be the captain of them all. Not only does she have terrific BBIQ, but she's got a great eye for the game, and is phenomenally talented to boot. I predict right now that for people who aren't UCONN fans on the BY, Morgan will be the biggest surprise next year. To those of us who read this forum regularly, Morgan's skills and abilities and accomplishments won't be a surprise...

H

Huskyfan23

I cant agree more Eric. She is a presence down low in the post and also has the ability to step out and knock down the tre. All around there is just so much to like about her game. Im not sure if I am alone on this one but I thought she moved around very well today and showed a lot more confidence in her surgically repaired knee. I also heard that she makes a terrific BBQ to match her BBIQ.:)

Reaction Score
I cant agree more Eric. She is a presence down low in the post and also has the ability to step out and knock down the tre. All around there is just so much to like about her game. Im not sure if I am alone on this one but I thought she moved around very well today and showed a lot more confidence in her surgically repaired knee. I also heard that she makes a terrific BBQ to match her BBIQ.:)

Fine, she can help BBQ our opponents.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
No surprise to me, go back and check out the overtime game with ND.
But there is a wonderful mid-Western toughness and wholesomeness about her.
What a great kid.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
No surprise to me, go back and check out the overtime game with ND.
But there is a wonderful mid-Western toughness and wholesomeness about her.
What a great kid.
Yes, she was tremendous, a regular beast, at the end of that game. She is going to be a great one.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
tuck #2.JPG

eric is spot on about Morgan Tuck....she will surprise many this year, perhaps because she flies under the "radar" playing w/ KML, Stewie, Steph, MoJeff, etc.... but icebear is right too, UConn faithful know she is a beast, always doing the dirty work under the basket, always unselfish, always sacrificing for "team".... The Aussie in this picture is 6'6 and Tuck schooled her under the rim... In Lithuania, playing with the best 19 year old's in the world, all Tuck has done is play the 2nd most minutes (183), score the 2nd most points (112), have the most steals (18), grab 4th most rebounds (38) and shoot 49% from the field and 75% from free throw line. Oh yeah, and she was elected captain by an incredibly talented group who decided Tuck has the leadership and poise to be their leader.... Go Huskies..!!

Reaction Score
I must admit that I thought for most of her freshman year, Morgan was meek, quiet, and intimidated. She appeared unhappy. Not what I was expecting of her. But, near the end of the season, in the post season and continuing this summer, something happened and all that changed. She is a different person. The improvement in all aspects of her game is remarkable.

In trying to analyze what happened, I can only come up with one major answer. For some reason, playing for Geno and UConn gives a player something they don't get elsewhere. A certain intangible that provides confidence, self worth, leadership qualities and the ability to play as a team. There is ego involved, but it's a team ego, not a personal one.

Yes, the players are talented, but it's the coaching staff that enables the magic to happen.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I must admit that I thought for most of her freshman year, Morgan was meek, quiet, and intimidated. She appeared unhappy. Not what I was expecting of her. But, near the end of the season, in the post season and continuing this summer, something happened and all that changed. She is a different person. The improvement in all aspects of her game is remarkable.

In trying to analyze what happened, I can only come up with one major answer. For some reason, playing for Geno and UConn gives a player something they don't get elsewhere. A certain intangible that provides confidence, self worth, leadership qualities and the ability to play as a team. There is ego involved, but it's a team ego, not a personal one.

Yes, the players are talented, but it's the coaching staff that enables the magic to happen.

A reasonably theory for sure.

But I think there is another, that I trumpeted all season to near universal scorn and that seems to me to be more consistent with the facts.

That Morgan earned her time in practice and didn't get it.
That she (and the other freshman) were brought along too slowly by the staff, perhaps were not given enough positive feedback and wilted. Morgan especially seethed in moments captured by ESPN et al.
Its even possible that the Doty starting bit disturbed team serenity.

Then at the moment, after the Big East, when the staff recognized that the frosh were the missing ingredient, they were inserted into prime time, the team jelled and turned into the potent force that we all now expect to roll to multiple national titles.

We all are clucking at the enormous talent advantage that we have…well we had it last November as well.

A case can be reasonably made that at least through the regular season, that this was Geno's least effective year of coaching.

Someone should ask him. Maybe he'd own up.

Sorry to be difficult on a lovely mid-summer Sunday, enjoy the game.

DavidinNaples

Reaction Score
msf..."A case can be reasonably made that at least through the regular season, that this was Geno's lease effective year of coaching."

IMO. Winning his 8th National Championship eliminates the possibility that this was "his least effective year of coaching." I don't think you can separate the regular season from the post season. I think Geno had a "method to his madness" that uses the regular season to get the players ready for the post season. Tuck was hurt part way through the season. That impacted how much she could be "brought along" more than a big miss by the coaching staff. Stewie started her first 10 games, that certainly wasn't "too slowly". Maybe, "too fast"..? In any case, we can all agree she is extremely talented and will be exciting to watch this year... Go Huskies..!!

Reaction Score
A reasonably theory for sure.

But I think there is another, that I trumpeted all season to near universal scorn and that seems to me to be more consistent with the facts.

That Morgan earned her time in practice and didn't get it.
That she (and the other freshman) were brought along too slowly by the staff, perhaps were not given enough positive feedback and wilted. Morgan especially seethed in moments captured by ESPN et al.
Its even possible that the Doty starting bit disturbed team serenity.

Then at the moment, after the Big East, when the staff recognized that the frosh were the missing ingredient, they were inserted into prime time, the team jelled and turned into the potent force that we all now expect to roll to multiple national titles.

We all are clucking at the enormous talent advantage that we have…well we had it last November as well.

A case can be reasonably made that at least through the regular season, that this was Geno's least effective year of coaching.

Someone should ask him. Maybe he'd own up.

Sorry to be difficult on a lovely mid-summer Sunday, enjoy the game.

I believe Geno has already admitted his coaching job was less than stellar. Perhaps you're right about the handling of the freshmen, but in the end, it worked out. Geno doesn't promise happiness, but he does pretty well in the results department.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Geno said for most of the season he and the kids did not connect in a way he usually likes. He called it his worst coaching job in gest. In the post championship interview Rebecca reminded him that he had said that and asked him what was different the last month and he said "Coaching" and laughed. He reiterated his frustration during the season of not having a grasp of what buttons to push with this team to bring out what was needed to win a championship. He then, also, noted that the assistants kept encouraging him to endure and that they, coaches and team, would have it all come together.

People fail to appreciate how much of coaching in college is a group effort. Having the right staff is incredibly important. Also, I think Geno's coaching job was vastly underrated given the circumstances of the year. Geno and staff went from last year's disappointments straight into the Olympic crunch and then back out into recruiting and then the new preseason and on to the championship. They never had a real break in a year and a half.

Another point is that other coaches have struggled with the changes in the players of the last decade that UCONN should be exempt from these changes is a silly concept. Unlike other staffs, however, Geno and crew solved the mystery and won the championship even with the rough spots.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Ah, great BBIQ and great BBQIQ.
Don't forget BBQ, that's very important as well. Especially in the summer months.

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
-My impression is, any attempt by fans to analyze Morgan Tuck's freshman season & playing time absolutely needs to start with the fundamental fact she fought through a left knee injury most of the year. How can this be omitted?
- Its like listening to the earlier lamentation by others that Bria Hartley's Junior season somehow just wasn't going as good as her All American Sophomore season, ...without first and foremost taking into account she was valiantly gutting out playing the entire regular season with serious injury effecting her mobility.
- They both played great when they healed in time for in the NCAA's. Legs are the foundation of a basketball player. Summary: Injuries should probably at least be mentioned somewhere within any amature analysis of behavior by players and coaches.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Since we have no idea what was going on in practice between the coaches and the players -- I have seen not an ounce of evidence that implies MT was earning time in practice and it wasn't paying off in game -- I'll posit that it was a food issue: the team was by the Left Twix-Right Twix battle.

When CD introduce Rollos and Kit Kats, peace descended.

HGN

Reaction Score
Guys , I will take Geno's end result ( a NC ) any day..........Whether it was a steller job of coaching or not.

Whatever he did in 2012-2013 , I want to see him Do It Again.:);)

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Anybody who clings to the notion that Geno didn't coach this team well last season is just an old poop.

Reaction Score
UCONN might have the most AA's on one team ever in 1 season. 5 .Do not laugh!!

Dolson, Bria, KML, Tuck, Stewart........Who can match up with this team this season?......NOBODY!!!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Arty - thanks! About time someone remembers the actual facts of the year and Morgan's knee problems played a huge part in both her playing time and her development as has Kiah's medical issues. It is tough enough playing D1 basketball and even tougher playing it at Uconn, but doing it on one leg is impossible (though Stef might beg to differ!!!:))
Freshman also have a lot of adjusting to do to the speed of the game, to the upgrade in competition, to the physicality, as well as to the whole experience off the court of being away from home and in the college community. Moriah forgot about her speed when she became too concerned about 'control', Breanna lost the joy when she became too obsessed with her 'failures', and Morgan got hurt.
On top of that this was probably the first time in their basketball careers where the coaching staff said 'what you are really good at isn't enough in this program.' Geno treats the regular season as an extension of the preseason - as a time to teach and expand players games. Many of our best players have talked about the process during the season and the change that occurs when the post season arrives. The last one I am aware of was Maya - she said during the year the coaching was all about what she was doing wrong, what she could be doing better, where she needed to take her game. And then after the last regular season game it all changed and it was about what she was doing really well, how her game had expanded, and how well she was playing - teaching time is over, now it is time to win some hardware.
Freshman have to be really confident not to have their confidence shaken to some extent during that first regular season, but it is hard to argue with the success of the program or with the players it has produced. And part of the reason for the staff being so selective in the players they recruit is because not all players will respond to the pressure the staff applies.
(And I am not implying that the regular season is all hell and negativity - I think the staff doles out bouquets and positive reinforcement along the way - I am overstating the case to make the point.

Reaction Score
I don't know had to print a 5 page article, but people should go to ASAP Sports Transcripts-Basketball-2013-NCAA WOMEN'S FINAL FOUR, and read the question and answers of Kelly, Breanna, and Geno, after the championship game.

DavidinNaples

Reaction Score
Arty - thanks! About time someone remembers the actual facts of the year and Morgan's knee problems played a huge part in both her playing time and her development as has Kiah's medical issues. It is tough enough playing D1 basketball and even tougher playing it at Uconn, but doing it on one leg is impossible (though Stef might beg to differ!!!:))
Freshman also have a lot of adjusting to do to the speed of the game, to the upgrade in competition, to the physicality, as well as to the whole experience off the court of being away from home and in the college community. Moriah forgot about her speed when she became too concerned about 'control', Breanna lost the joy when she became too obsessed with her 'failures', and Morgan got hurt.
On top of that this was probably the first time in their basketball careers where the coaching staff said 'what you are really good at isn't enough in this program.' Geno treats the regular season as an extension of the preseason - as a time to teach and expand players games. Many of our best players have talked about the process during the season and the change that occurs when the post season arrives. The last one I am aware of was Maya - she said during the year the coaching was all about what she was doing wrong, what she could be doing better, where she needed to take her game. And then after the last regular season game it all changed and it was about what she was doing really well, how her game had expanded, and how well she was playing - teaching time is over, now it is time to win some hardware.
Freshman have to be really confident not to have their confidence shaken to some extent during that first regular season, but it is hard to argue with the success of the program or with the players it has produced. And part of the reason for the staff being so selective in the players they recruit is because not all players will respond to the pressure the staff applies.
(And I am not implying that the regular season is all hell and negativity - I think the staff doles out bouquets and positive reinforcement along the way - I am overstating the case to make the point.

Uc....ur 100% right! Here's what I wrote earlier in this thread....
IMO. Winning his 8th National Championship eliminates the possibility that this was "his least effective year of coaching." I don't think you can separate the regular season from the post season. I think Geno had a "method to his madness" that uses the regular season to get the players ready for the post season. Tuck was hurt part way through the season. That impacted how much she could be "brought along" more than a big miss by the coaching staff. Stewie started her first 10 games, that certainly wasn't "too slowly". Maybe, "too fast"..? In any case, we can all agree she is extremely talented and will be exciting to watch this year... Go Huskies..!!
DavidinNaples, Sunday at 11:45 AM Edit Delete Report
#11 Reply
cloudcastle, CaliHuskyFan and arty155 like this

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
I don't know had to print a 5 page article, but people should go to ASAP Sports Transcripts-Basketball-2013-NCAA WOMEN'S FINAL FOUR, and read the question and answers of Kelly, Breanna, and Geno, after the championship game.

Here ya go: http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=88316

Q. For the last month back home we've been busting your stones about how come they can't win a close game anymore.
COACH AURIEMMA: I know, I know.

Q. Turns out you didn't have to.
COACH AURIEMMA: By the way, I went back and checked my media guide after you guys were killing me about that crap, and in my first four years at Connecticut, we played 47 games that were decided by eight points and less. And we won like 80 percent of them. So anybody out there from Connecticut, shut up.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Morgan Tuck is a beast. She has never been meek out there. Geno said before the season - something to the effect that Morgan was his biggest surprise and his most dependable freshman at that point after watching summer workouts. I am paraphrasing. She has got it all. And as a 4 or power forward- few have the quick first step to the basket as well. IQ, cool, unselfish, great range and this year when opponents have to focus on KMl and Stewie, she may compete as our top scorer. We are so loaded with talent it is scary. Morgan was moving great this summer. Played great late season thank God to really help us when Steph was 50-60%. I don't like 2nd guessing Geno. I figure he's earned that. I will be surprised if we lose a game this year.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Uc....ur 100% right! Here's what I wrote earlier in this thread....
DavidinNaples, Sunday at 11:45 AM Edit Delete Report
#11 Reply
cloudcastle, CaliHuskyFan and arty155 like this
Whoops David - I missed or forgot you had also written about the injury (I was feeling a little hot and bothered about a few of the earlier posts so wasn't completely clear headed:confused:) Sorry about that. I am assuming Naples is that place opposite me across the swamp, so ... we Floridians should stick together. (And I really enjoy the threads you start by the way - nice turn of phrase you have.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom