Great coach Meier comment about Morgan | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Great coach Meier comment about Morgan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Whever I think about Morgan I recall what she stated before she arrived at UConn: "I'm not going there to sit the bench!"

We know that Geno did not guarantee playing time, she know she must earn it and that the competition would present a challenge. So she accepted that challenge and now we can appreciate her skill and her commitment.

One thing is for sure: Morgan Tuck will not sit the bench at UConn.

Reaction Score
A reasonably theory for sure.

But I think there is another, that I trumpeted all season to near universal scorn and that seems to me to be more consistent with the facts.

That Morgan earned her time in practice and didn't get it.
That she (and the other freshman) were brought along too slowly by the staff, perhaps were not given enough positive feedback and wilted. Morgan especially seethed in moments captured by ESPN et al.
Its even possible that the Doty starting bit disturbed team serenity.

Then at the moment, after the Big East, when the staff recognized that the frosh were the missing ingredient, they were inserted into prime time, the team jelled and turned into the potent force that we all now expect to roll to multiple national titles.

We all are clucking at the enormous talent advantage that we have…well we had it last November as well.

A case can be reasonably made that at least through the regular season, that this was Geno's least effective year of coaching.

Someone should ask him. Maybe he'd own up.

Sorry to be difficult on a lovely mid-summer Sunday, enjoy the game.

I sometimes think comments made like yours are just to stir up the pot.None of what you stated is even close to logical. there now that's just my opinion.
What happened to all the nay sayers about Steff playing the high post and what a mistake Geno was making.worked out pretty well for Stewie and many back cuts by the guards, huh ?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
psam, very few agreed with me when I said how good Stef was going to be at UCONN. Her fundamentals were solid when she arrived in Storrs. She always had a GREAT attitude and loved to pass. She even showed glimmers of her outside shot which is now a potent tool. Dd still believe me when I said she could shoot the 3.

Reaction Score
I must admit that I thought for most of her freshman year, Morgan was meek, quiet, and intimidated. She appeared unhappy. Not what I was expecting of her. But, near the end of the season, in the post season and continuing this summer, something happened and all that changed. She is a different person. The improvement in all aspects of her game is remarkable.

In trying to analyze what happened, I can only come up with one major answer. For some reason, playing for Geno and UConn gives a player something they don't get elsewhere. A certain intangible that provides confidence, self worth, leadership qualities and the ability to play as a team. There is ego involved, but it's a team ego, not a personal one.

Yes, the players are talented, but it's the coaching staff that enables the magic to happen.

I just think that her knee felt so much better and the mobility was back during the latter part of the season. It had to help her mentally as well as physcially. We have to remember that she was the 6th ranked player coming out of high school a year ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom