Great Bands From the '90s | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Great Bands From the '90s

Reaction Score
While it was released in late 1989, Nine inch nails pretty hate machine still sounds like nothing I've ever heard. That is probably the album that best identifies my teen years. Radiohead is still releasing very solid music these days.

Reaction Score
I like a lot of post rock like Explosions in the sky, godspeed you black emperor and sigor ros.

Reaction Score
I like a lot of post rock like Explosions in the sky, godspeed you black emperor and sigor ros.
They aren't a 90's band but Animal Collective are an interesting group that kinda fit that mold. I especially enjoy Sigur Rós, they have created some downright beautiful and moving music.

Reaction Score
I seriously can't think of a better combo of voice and guitar playing than Todd.

I saw them again last weekend at the Midland in KC. It was sold out. It was my wife’s first time seeing them and she couldn’t stop talking about it.

They covered Elton John and Neil Young and did it well.

Toad the Wet Sprocket was the other act. Can’t believe both bands are over 30 years old.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
A few from my phone not previously listed to go along with NIN, RHCP, Social Distortion, Blur, Oasis and the Violent Femmes.

Better than Ezra
Bob Mould/Sugar
John Spencer Blues Explosion
Magnapop
Pixes (They made it to the 90's so I'm counting it)
Charlatans UK
Jesus and Mary Chain
Lightning Seeds
The Replacements
The Primitives
They Might Be Giants

Reaction Score
The Smithereens (sorta cross late 80's into 90's)
Beastie Boys (Ill Communication, Check Your Head, Hello Nasty)

tdrink

Pessimistic idealist
Reaction Score
Still discovering great bands from the 90's. I just started getting into Porcupine Tree. Their album Fear of a Blank Planet is a perfect blend of prog rock and heavy 90's guitar tones.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the best bar band in the world (which unfortunately broke up in 2015).

I listen to Larry Kirwin’s Celtic Crush show every Sunday morning on the Loft and he still plays around. I saw him at Cafe Nine in New Haven last year and he was great. Still plays the Black 47 stuff. I want to go on one of the annual Ireland trips he hosts.

Reaction Score
A few from my phone not previously listed to go along with NIN, RHCP, Social Distortion, Blur, Oasis and the Violent Femmes.

Better than Ezra
Bob Mould/Sugar
John Spencer Blues Explosion
Magnapop
Pixes (They made it to the 90's so I'm counting it)
Charlatans UK
Jesus and Mary Chain
Lightning Seeds
The Replacements
The Primitives
They Might Be Giants

I saw Pixies with Weezer a month or two ago. They are still good even without Kim Deal.

Reaction Score
There are so many great bands that started in the 90's that are still great today ( e.g. Pearl Jam).

There are also many great bands that started in the 90's that quite literally ceased along the way due to the death of an iconic member ( e.g Nirvana, Alice ).

But when I read this thread I immediately thought of the third group: bands that started and were great in the 90's but are not currently, for other reasons ( band broke up but not due to an iconic death, musical trends or fads moved against them, etc). To this list the following come to my mind: Rusted Root, Weezer, Live, Blues Traveler, Tool, Green Day...

In the 90's 1 hot wonder category I would add Fun Loving Criminals.

AIC are still around. Playing the Meadows this summer. Jerry Cantrell still there, obviously a different singer from Layne.

Reaction Score
Not to be that guy, but REM are really an 80's band. Out Of Time, their first 90's album, was their 7th album. If you only know Out Of Time and Automatic For The People please listen to their 80's stuff. Overall better than their 90's stuff IMO. Murmur is one of the greatest albums of all time.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Another 80's into 90's crossover, but Del Amitri. Their lead man, Justin Currie, is a lyrical genius.

Reaction Score
"Bloody Sunday:-Paul Greengrass-2002

Normally I have seen the films I comment on multiple times; this was my first time viewing "Bloody Sunday."
For those of you not familiar with this film, it is a careful documentary style reconstruction of the events surrounding the Civil Rights march in Londonderry on Sunday, January 30Th 1972. It was made for Granada television, but it was shown at several film festivals prior to its television Premier. It was based on the book "Eyewitness Bloody Sunday" by Don Mullan. Mullan was a co-producer of the film, and he had a small part as a priest. Thirteen people were killed that day, and one died several months later. Paul Greengrass directed the film, and its success propelled him to a directing job on the Jason Bourne films.

The background is that Mullan's book interested Greengrass, and it was also instrumental in convincing the British government to open a second inquiry into the shootings and deaths on Bloody Sunday. This inquiry took 10 years and 195 million pounds. Its conclusions in 2010 validate the film's storytelling. The government in Northern Ireland, controlled by Protestants, had recently banned all protest marches indefinitely. The civil rights groups had determined that they must march to keep alive the ideal of peaceful non-violent protest. They had brokered an agreement with the IRA to keep out of the protest. The British Army had plenty of intelligence inside the local communities, and they also had the resources of the RUC (Royal Ulster Constabulary) to provide more information. The British were aware of the parade timing, route, and leadership all of which had been widely publicized. They also knew many IRA members and sympathizers. and they circulated their pictures among the British units. The British had a plan to snatch these leaders by stopping the parade and then having the paratroop soldiers (!st Paratroop Regiment) grab up protesters. They were prepared to use rubber bullets, tear gas, and water cannons to achieve their objective.

The movie devotes considerable time to the preparations on both sides. As you might expect, there is a lot of confusion on both sides. There were breakdowns in communications and changes in plans. The film focuses one one key leader on each side. On the protesters'side we follow Ivan Cooper (Jimmy Nesbit), the local MP. He was a Protestant, dating a Catholic girl, representing a mostly Catholic district. We see him talking to constituents, working with protest leaders, cajoling IRA leaders to keep their agreement, apologizing to his girlfriend for last nights absence, and dealing with the press. He has to make two key decisions early on, First should the protest follow its original route. He decided to change the route and not to proceed downtown. The parade would take a right turn and assemble for a rally short of the town center. The second decision was whether or not to cancel the march. There were thousands of British troops covering the route, and the deployment of the paratroopers added an additional risk because they had been involved in violent incidents very recently Cooper believed that by changing the route the possibility of violence was lowered, and if they called off the protest it would end any hope of major change by non-violent means. The protests were organized around two major issues:1) equal right for Catholics, and 2) freeing the hundreds of internees. They were people arrested during previous protests and held often without charges and/or trials.

On the British side the key player is Major General Ford the commander of all British troops. He was supposed to be there only as an observer. He became more involved, and it was he who gave the early official interpretation of the day's events. His statement was that the British soldiers were reacting to violent provocations by the protesters. Shades of the Attorney General and the Muller Report. Years later official transcripts of a meeting between PM Heath and Lord Chief Justice Widgery who headed the initial public inquiry revealed that Heath told the chief justice that they were not only fighting a military war but that they were fighting a propaganda war as well.

The film was shot entirely with hand held cameras. Ivan Strassberg does a masterful job; he gives us the significant action, but also the confusion. There was a working script, but actors improvised within this framework. We become eye and ear witnesses to history. James Nesbit does a masterful job as Ivan Cooper.
I found the scenes in the hospital and the post event press conference particularly moving. The main scenes involve thousands of extras. The soldiers were mainly former British soldiers. The protesters were from Dublin and Derry, some of the protesters were relatives of the deceased. Dan Mullan of course was a 15 year old eyewitness, and his daughter a rising 15 is in the film.

Two interesting factoids: 1) a movie theater in Derry was showing this double feature: "The Magnificent Seven" and "Sunday,Bloody Sunday"; 2) the version of U2's "Sunday, Bloody, Sunday" is from a live recording that Paul Greengrass made in 1983.

Highly recommended; next up "Amalie."

Reaction Score
Alice In Chains still exists. They had a couple of decent songs in their last couple of albums.

Love Weezer. They are still around, but they will never eclipse the Blue Album or even Pinkerton.

Weezer is an enigma to me. They put out two perfect albums, then poof, garbage ever since.

Reaction Score
Weezer is an enigma to me. They put out two perfect albums, then poof, garbage ever since.

I generally agree. Although Green Album was good. Since they have one or two good songs every other album.

They put on a good show but I was more enthralled with The Pixies that night.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
dre and snoop
alanis
brittney
tlc
beastie boys
weezer
green day
notorious b.i.g
garth