Great Bands From the '90s | The Boneyard

Great Bands From the '90s

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I missed it at the time, but recently have become a big fan of Mazzy Star.

Pearl Jam and Nirvana were the bigger stars, but among the grunge bands I very much preferred the music of Soundgarden and Alice in Chains. They just rocked harder.

Gin Blossoms
Letters to Cleo
The Sundays

(some of those may have formed in the late 80's but rose to prominence in the 90's)

Reaction Score

Pearl Jam and Nirvana were the bigger stars, but among the grunge bands I very much preferred the music of Soundgarden and Alice in Chains. They just rocked harder.

Gin Blossoms
Letters to Cleo
The Sundays

(some of those may have formed in the late 80's but rose to prominence in the 90's)

As far as Grunge goes, over the years Alice In Chains has been the clear #1 for me.

Not really grunge, but I also lump them in that group kinda, Primus is pretty damn special. Les Claypool tried out for Metallica in the '80s to be their bassist but Hetfield said he was too good and should go do his own thing.

Reaction Score
As far as Grunge goes, over the years Alice In Chains has been the clear #1 for me.

Not really grunge, but I also lump them in that group kinda, Primus is pretty damn special. Les Claypool tried out for Metallica in the '80s to be their bassist but Hetfield said he was too good and should go do his own thing.
Love Primus! God I'll never forget Jerry Was a Racecar Driver as a 7-8 year old playing the first Tony Hawk games

Reaction Score
Love Primus! God I'll never forget being introduced to them as a 7-8 year old playing the first Tony Hawk games

When we saw Queens of the Stone Age a couple of years ago, Primus opened which was a nice surprise. If you ever have a chance, just go.

Reaction Score
There are so many great bands that started in the 90's that are still great today ( e.g. Pearl Jam).

There are also many great bands that started in the 90's that quite literally ceased along the way due to the death of an iconic member ( e.g Nirvana, Alice ).

But when I read this thread I immediately thought of the third group: bands that started and were great in the 90's but are not currently, for other reasons ( band broke up but not due to an iconic death, musical trends or fads moved against them, etc). To this list the following come to my mind: Rusted Root, Weezer, Live, Blues Traveler, Tool, Green Day...

In the 90's 1 hot wonder category I would add Fun Loving Criminals.

Reaction Score
There are so many great bands that started in the 90's that are still great today ( e.g. Pearl Jam).

There are also many great bands that started in the 90's that quite literally ceased along the way due to the death of an iconic member ( e.g Nirvana, Alice ).

But when I read this thread I immediately thought of the third group: bands that started and were great in the 90's but are not currently, for other reasons ( band broke up but not due to an iconic death, musical trends or fads moved against them, etc). To this list the following come to my mind: Rusted Root, Weezer, Live, Blues Traveler, Tool, Green Day...

In the 90's 1 hot wonder category I would add Fun Loving Criminals.

Alice In Chains still exists. They had a couple of decent songs in their last couple of albums.

Love Weezer. They are still around, but they will never eclipse the Blue Album or even Pinkerton.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Maybe not a great band, but Hootie and the Blowfish were lots of fun and had some good songs.

There were some good country bands from back then, hopefully that won't get me kicked out of this thread. The Mavericks, Diamond Rio, Shenandoah, Blackhawk.

Reaction Score
Maybe not a great band, but Hootie and the Blowfish were lots of fun and had some good songs.

There were some good country bands from back then, hopefully that won't get me kicked out of this thread. The Mavericks, Diamond Rio, Shenandoah, Blackhawk.

If you're going that route, I'll toss in the great alt country band the Jayhawks. Terrific harmonies in that group.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
If you're going that route, I'll toss in the great alt country band the Jayhawks. Terrific harmonies in that group.

Oh man, thanks for reminding me of that. That brings to mind Uncle Tupelo, which broke up and begat Son Volt and Wilco. Also the occasional side project super group Golden Smog that had members from 4 or 5 different groups I think. And Whiskeytown and my personal favorite of that genre, The Old 97s. Damn the 90's rocked for alt country!

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Oh man, thanks for reminding me of that. That brings to mind Uncle Tupelo, which broke up and begat Son Volt and Wilco. Also the occasional side project super group Golden Smog that had members from 4 or 5 different groups I think. And Whiskeytown and my personal favorite of that genre, The Old 97s. Damn the 90's rocked for alt country!

Fwiw, Jayhawks were the backing band on Ray Davies' latest album.

Son Volt was depressing. Pre YHF Wilco was fun. Loved the first Golden Smog.

Last edited:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Whole bunch of great stuff from UK in 90s beyond Radiohead.

Pulp
Happy Mondays/Black Grape
Blur
Stone Roses
Chemical Bros.
The Prodigy
Portishead
... and more.

Reaction Score
Whole bunch of great stuff from UK in 90s beyond Radiohead.

Pulp
Happy Mondays/Black Grape
Blur
Stone Roses
Chemical Bros.
The Prodigy
Portishead
... and more.
Sometimes I think I was born on the wrong side of the pond. That whole Madchester scene really speaks to me Stone Roses, Blur, Oasis, etc.

American bands brought it too: Rage, Nirvana, NIN, Smashing Pumpkins, Weezer.

I listened to soooo much Techno back then. Chemical Brothers, Fatboy Slim, The Prodigy, Underworld, Orbital, Aphex Twin, Photek, Crystal Method, Junkie XL, Ken Ishii, Roni Size, Mocean Worker.

Wu-Tang! Outkast too. If you want to count rap groups.

Radiohead and Daft Punk are most often at the top of my list of favorites.

Reaction Score

Gin Blossoms
Letters to Cleo
The Sundays

Totally agree about Soundgarden and Alice, although I did like PJ. Nirvana I just couldn't take Cobain's voice. Grohl is great though.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the best bar band in the world (which unfortunately broke up in 2015).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom