Great AAC match up right now | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Great AAC match up right now

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I would have expected UConn to totally dominate the conference, but the fact is UConn has been poor in football, mediocre in basketball (men) (in conference), and not really too stellar in most olympic sports. Predicted to finish fourth in baseball this year. So I don't think there is room for bragging. We are all disappointed to be relegated to this conference, but I don't see the bragging rights here. UConn was more competitive in the BE than it is in the AAC. Maybe it is a mental block. I am not sure. We all want out, but I don't think we need to denigrate our current brethren. We keep talking about pedigree. Yet it seems to me that programs like KY, Duke, Kansas, are always in the mix. UConn sometimes flirts with the bubble. I don't understand.

They played one season in basketball and won the national championship. Mediocre. Mediocre.

They won the women's basketball national championship too.

And a national championship in an olympic sport that the AAC doesn't sponsor.

Yeah no bragging rights. They lost a couple of regular season basketball games.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I would have expected UConn to totally dominate the conference, but the fact is UConn has been poor in football, mediocre in basketball (men) (in conference), and not really too stellar in most olympic sports. Predicted to finish fourth in baseball this year. So I don't think there is room for bragging. We are all disappointed to be relegated to this conference, but I don't see the bragging rights here. UConn was more competitive in the BE than it is in the AAC. Maybe it is a mental block. I am not sure. We all want out, but I don't think we need to denigrate our current brethren. We keep talking about pedigree. Yet it seems to me that programs like KY, Duke, Kansas, are always in the mix. UConn sometimes flirts with the bubble. I don't understand.

Based on your posts... Syracuse? Rutgers? Which one?

Reaction Score
We keep talking about pedigree. Yet it seems to me that programs like KY, Duke, Kansas, are always in the mix. UConn sometimes flirts with the bubble. I don't understand.
Good think Kentucky didn't flirt with the bubble when they made the NIT two whole seasons ago.

UConn was more competitive in the BE than it is in the AAC.
We are one-for-one in the seasons-in-AAC-to-national-championships ratio.

So I don't think there is room for bragging.
One mediocre season and the previous 20 go away. Sure.
This is like fish in a barrel here.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Why the arrogance? with a 10-7 record thought we would be more humble

We should pretend that Tulsa-ECU is something it isn't because we're 10-7? Or that East Carolina's rubberized pull-out bleachers aren't third rate?

It's all mid-major nonsense.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Breaking news - Memphis and Tulane are tied at 55 with :26 to play.

Unfortunately, none of you give a s--- because you're arrogant UConn fans who, despite your 10-and-7-ness, are failing to show humility.

I'd tell you how it ends, but I don't care either.

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
Memphis won 57-55...now 12-7 (5-3)...top 7 in the AAC are very solid.

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
U of M, you come here to insult us when we don't kowtow to your delusions of your program being on the same plane as ours. Don't you have Memphis boards out there?

I'm here to talk hoops, I simply feel you guys like trashing your own home a bit too much.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
You do see the difference between the AAC and the PAC and SEC right?

they are consider a p-5? but I some how feel that playing at Cincy, SMU or Temple hence the butt kicking Kansas received is a bit different then playing at say Washington or Arkansas.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I'm here to talk hoops, I simply feel you guys like trashing your own home a bit too much.

This isn't home.

It's a life raft.

We'll never like it and we'll never be warm, fuzzy neighbors.

Reaction Score
We should pretend that Tulsa-ECU is something it isn't because we're 10-7? Or that East Carolina's rubberized pull-out bleachers aren't third rate?

OP said it was a good game not because Tulsa is Kentucky or Duke but because it was a close game would Tulsa pull it off? I want Tulsa to do good and make it to NCAAT is more money for the conference. When Tulsa beat us was it because they were better or because we flat out stink, I like to think it was because they were actually good not because we stink.

They have a rubberized pull out bleachers what did we have before Jim and Geno? I'm not trying to be funny because in all honesty I have no idea I wasn't around.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score

All I can say is , they must be young. I want to get out of the AAC as much as they do but I remember when we were a cellar dweller in our former conference. We had to have the worst facility in the conference too. Georgetown, Syracuse and St Johns used to dismiss us and our crappy Field House. But we had taken the shot to be in a better conference and eventually came to dominate it. I wish ECU, Tulane, etc. all the best. For our sake and theirs.
It is not Memphis' or any AAC team's fault we were left behind in realignment.But I think that while we are here, we should root for our conference. Who knows, we may have to get used to it.

Reaction Score
I don't think anybody is saying we shouldn't root for the conference.

But this Memphis guy is like the dude telling everybody on a broken down subway to cheer up. He might have a point but that isn't going to make people less p***ed off.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
He obviously p****d people off. I didn't what got people so amped. But, we were that unworthy turd of the conference. So I won't dump on teams trying to improve their situation.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
UConn hosted the second Big East Tournament for the love of God. You know at a 16k seat arena.

Upstater can you give up the Patriots jihad to explain to these people that UConn in 1981 is in no way comperable to Tulane, East Carolina in 2014?

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
How would the Yankee Conference compare to CUSA?

Reaction Score
We have a home conference game against freaking TULANE. Please continue to tell us how we should accept this.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
How would the Yankee Conference compare to CUSA?

It would compare move favorably to the AAC than the AAC would compare to major college basketball in 2014.

I guess if one was in coma from 1979-2015, things would look awesome.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
OK, you both win, Don't accept we are in the AAC.

Reaction Score

I'm not sure if people realize that Gampel has or recently had pull out bleachers and/or retractable seats. Just saying.

Like most here, I'm not happy with our current situation, but I think there's room to show a little more class than what's being displayed here. As someone pointed out, this might be our fate for quite some time.

Let's not look like some of the fans of other elitist programs we often bash.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
They have a rubberized pull out bleachers what did we have before Jim and Geno? I'm not trying to be funny because in all honesty I have no idea I wasn't around.

1) The OP said it was a "great" game at about the time of the first TV timeout. Then he praised the atmosphere which is odd given that the empty seats extended right down the the court.

2) We had those high schooly pullout benches in the Field House which we stopped playing in before you were born.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I'm not sure if people realize that Gampel has or recently had pull out bleachers and/or retractable seats. Just saying.

Like most here, I'm not happy with our current situation, but I think there's room to show a little more class than what's being displayed here. As someone pointed out, this might be our fate for quite some time.

Let's not look like some of the fans of other elitist programs we often bash.
What's the point of becoming an elite program if you can't be an fan?

Reaction Score
Got a kick out of this...

PA210036.jpg
When not playing before more than 18,000 raucous fans at FedExForum, the Tigers practice in their state-of-the-art on-campus practice facility, the Larry O. Finch Center. Memphis’ Finch Center provides the student-athletes with all the amenities — expansive weight room and lounge, practice court, locker room, video room and dining room — that keep the Tigers among the nation’s elite college basketball programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom