Graham Hayes: Should UConn be Ranked #1 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Graham Hayes: Should UConn be Ranked #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I have no issue with SC being ranked No.1. They are unbeaten, so it shouldn't be too surprising to anyone. Plus, I kinda' like the idea of them coming in as the top team and UConn being the "underdog".

I expect it to be a competitive affair and am really looking forward to it since UConn won't be challenged again till AT LEAST the Elite 8 and possibly not till the Final Four.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I agree. I was a duffer golfer until I read Chevy Chase's "The Mind Game of Golf" and surrendered my game to it. Suddenly I was a 3 handicapper with too many guys who wanted to pair up. Took me right out of the game. But it is true as Geno said about our favorite PG just yesterday, it is 90% mental once you know you can do it.
90% mental in almost everything you do. You've got to believe, have confidence, trust yourself and trust what your doing and just do it. Right now MoJeff is there and Saniya with all her talent isn't but she will get there . I like the way she played in the last game. One thing this UConn team continues to do is execute the way they were taught. Geno will tweak them from time to time during a game but that's his job as a coach. When you watch other teams plays break down and at times they look a little lost. UConn doesn't very often or as often as other teams. UConns defense gets into opponents heads which affects their focus and confidence. Fear sets in and that's when UConn goes on their runs. We still haven't seen a game where UConn is hitting on all cylinders. Its coming.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I have no issue with SC being ranked No.1. They are unbeaten, so it shouldn't be too surprising to anyone. Plus, I kinda' like the idea of them coming in as the top team and UConn being the "underdog".

I expect it to be a competitive affair and am really looking forward to it since UConn won't be challenged again till AT LEAST the Elite 8 and possibly not till the Final Four.

I do agree. Let SC carry the weight of that into Gampel. Let Dawn Staley carry the weight of it... tasting the prize and hoping so hard for it when she lays her head on the pillow at night. And maybe, just maybe, SC grabs the brass ring February 9. "That's why we play the games."

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Glad to know we can just sit back and watch UConn roll except for that USCar tester. No chance that the #19 Sagarin rated USF team that won on the road against a Chattanooga team that beat UTenn could challenge UConn at all down in Tampa. Probably not since Massey rates UConn a 77-58 winner for that game, but then the Huskies are rated 77-61 over USCar, so it seems like the same ballpark of toughness.

And of course brain-dead RPI projects UConn to finish 27-3 during the regular season with losses to USCar and USF now that the Huskies have drifted back to #4 in the ratings. And sure, RPI is never supposed to be used as a predictor (or really for anything else), but not everyone agrees it's all Easy Street ahead for the Huskies.

mr006

Reaction Score
That's easy. Still winning when you are playing poorly is generally regarded as a characteristic of a great team.
Yes.
That's kinda how SC has been, albeit against top 25 teams. Well, that and the one Uconn loss, which gets harder to defend as Stanford keeps dropping. I would hope that we would jump back to #1 if we beat them, but I doubt it would be unanimous, unless we win big. As for a characteristic of a great team, once in a while, yeah, but sounds to me more like a team that's not quite there yet. If they do beat us, then welcome into the WBB elite. And WBB could use it right now.

Reaction Score
Boneyard,

My folks are DIEHARD Lady Huskies season ticket holder/"mushers", and I only learned of the "Boneyard" this past Holiday Season while visiting them for our family's 2d X-Mas after the trip up from Fort Bragg, NC.

The Christmas gift for them from us this year were 4 half-court full-strip tickets to the 2015 Womens Final Four in Tampa.

Therefore, as an alum and über-fan, I am ECSTATIC to be a member here in the Boneyard with ALL of you! Being away from CT, the Courant, and the latest UConn Gossip, this is a GODSEND for us.

So THANK YOU ALL for all you do to keep "expatriate (by State not Nation)"-Huskies like us up to date on the latest movings and doings of our beloved UConn athletic teams.

I originally responded to Hays' ESPN article in the comments section yesterday, and wanted to share the content of my post with y'all to gauge if our reading of the NCAA WBB "tea leaves from the "down dirrty south" jibes with your own understanding and experience [ made a few address additions to help explain some jargon for the uninitated ]:

"South Carolina, #1 'til beaten
UConn, #2
There it is!

BREAK

The rest of you:
Hate UConn -- shut up until you BEAT THEM.
Hate Geno -- shut up until you BEAT HIM.

Rather crude . . . granted . . . I know, . . . and I apologize if you got "poked in the heart" [ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sKdDyyanGk ] . . . but folks, let's be CRYSTAL clear here, . . . more young female athletes, Mo'ne Ikea Davis among them, currently wake up from dreams of playing for Geno and his UConn Lady Huskies than any other Women’s Basketball program in the country.

HE WINS, UCONN WINS, WOMENS CBB WINS -- Join us and you will win too . . . because our KungFu is just stronger than anyone else's KungFu.

Women’s Basketball needs UConn . . . and UConn needs a yang to their ying, be it South Carolina, Count Dook-U, Tennessee, Texas, Notre Dame, or someone / anyone else, for the growth of the Women's game and interest in the Women's game.

Ask Vince McMahon . . . every hero needs a heel, every heel a hero [ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qd4HGYoS7E ].

BREAK

As an UConn grad, I am very excited to settle the regular season #1 argument with a very talented South Carolina (and the SEC at the same time) once and for all on 9 FEB. Now let's both go undefeated before then . . . and afterwards . . . meet for the Championship in Amalie Arena on 7 APR.
But reading below the surface of Mr. Hays' article, there are many swishing feetsies sweeping the waters of NCAA WBB going forward into the completion of the 2014-2015 season, . . . and on into the 2015-2016 season, the 2016-2017 season, and then beyond.

BREAK

Currently:

(1) There is ONLY ONE coach universally despised by everyone outside the State of Connecticut who aren't already UConn WBB fans and admirers -- Coach Geno -- and YOUR COACH will simply have to outcoach him to BEAT HIM.

(2) There are ONLY TWO schools in NCAA WBB this year that could have TWO teams ranked in the Top 10 -- UConn and South Carolina -- don't believe that, have YOUR TEAM simply BEAT either one of THEM.

(3) There is ONLY ONE Perpetual Dynasty in NCAA WBB right now -- UConn -- and every other program is currently chasing their fleeting coat-tails down from behind.

(4)
(a) However, South Carolina currently have ZERO, count 'em ZERO, Top 100 recruits coming in next year (2015-2016). . . and currently, although WAY TOO EARLY but still noteworthy, ZERO 2016-2017 recruits (See (3) above)
(b) UConn? Three (3) 5-stars in 2015 and One (1) 5-star in 2016 so far -- YOUR TEAM has to make up ground and still keep recruits away from UConn -- SO LET'S ROLL

BREAK

So unlike other WBB coaches and programs, at least Dawn Staley and South Carolina have the guts to schedule UConn (or continue to schedule them into future seasons . . . WEAK Count Dook-U, just weak), . . . helping the SOS and RPI of both schools (if either even needed it for what looks like a definite #1 seeds) going forward. Kudos to Staley and South Carolina.

However, the consensus of WBB coaches do not LIKE, . . . wait, not strong enough wording, . . . HATE . . . our brash Philadelphia-born, Italian Smart-Aleck, coach and mentor, . . . Super Geno . . . because he wins and, through no fault of HIS own, the losers remember they lost to UConn.

So now a HATE Campaign is fully underway, driven by fellow coaches like Coach Vanderveer (Stanford - PAC12), Coach Hatchell (UNC- ACC), Coach McGraw (Notre Dame - ACC), Coach McCallie (Dook U - ACC), Coach Freese (Maryland - ACC), and Coach Mulkey (Baylor) (who ditched Brittney Griner quick as she could after Griner came out as lesbian at the Baptist school -- YOU STAY CLASSY, Coach!), among a growing fandom of other coaches, to stifle Super Geno by not scheduling UConn anymore.

Now granted, as pointed out within this comments section in numerous permutations, the AAC Women’s Basketball stable of schools does not equal the high level of competition available in other Conferences -- Admittedly, the UConn Lady Huskies have more of a grease than a grind in the AAC -- and so, this is the theory that these now desperate WBB Coaches have hitched their wagon to:

We shall strangle UConn's Dynasty by leaving Super Geno and his evil minions with no one competitive to play.

Thus, if MY school no longer schedules a regular season game against UConn . . . then the by-product will be to lower UConn's overall RPI/SOS and then I can use it during recruiting when seated in a recruit's living room -- YOU WON'T PLAY ANYONE IF YOU GO TO UCONN! -- FULL STOP

Good Luck Ladies and Gentlemen -- only time will tell whether the pipeline of WBB talent into Storrs will dry up in submission to your dastardly plans.

But like the famous Bob's Furniture tagline, "I DOUBT IT!"

BREAK

Finally,

Hey Coach Warlick (née Summitt) . . . and Tennessee Lady Volunteer Nation -- did you finally see the handwriting on the wall with Maya and get SO SCURRED of losing to UConn year after year . . . that HIDING BEHIND the flame of Coach Summitt's legacy has made complacency a new UT Lady Vols tradition? -- your excuses can only last so long, until you are forced to "VOLUNTEER" to get with it after ESPN comes a'callin' with the sack of $$$ to put you together with UConn on MON nights in the future.

BREAK

2015! -- #10 -- Consider Yourselves . . . WARNED! . . . You Suckas! [On that note, GREAT salutations to SVP and Russillo] [ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7DXgUmhIUw ]

[Drop the mic]"

Last edited:

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Um, wow.

Well at least UConn fans know their team has no one to play in the future despite all the supposed scheduling commitments. We are warned, by cracky.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Boneyard,

My folks are DIEHARD Lady Huskies season ticket holder/"mushers", and I only learned of the "Boneyard" this past Holiday Season while visiting them for our family's 2d X-Mas after the trip up from Fort Bragg, NC.

The Christmas gift for them from us this year were 4 half-court full-strip tickets to the 2015 Womens Final Four in Tampa.

Therefore, as an alum and über-fan, I am ECSTATIC to be a member here in the Boneyard with ALL of you! Being away from CT, the Courant, and the latest UConn Gossip, this is a GODSEND for us.

So THANK YOU ALL for all you do to keep "expatriate (by State not Nation)"-Huskies like us up to date on the latest movings and doings of our beloved UConn athletic teams.

I originally responded to Hays' ESPN article in the comments section yesterday, and wanted to share the content of my post with y'all to gauge if our reading of the NCAA WBB "tea leaves from the "down dirrty south" jibes with your own understanding and experience [ made a few address additions to help explain some jargon for the uninitated ]:

"South Carolina, #1 'til beaten
UConn, #2
There it is!

BREAK

The rest of you:
Hate UConn -- shut up until you BEAT THEM.
Hate Geno -- shut up until you BEAT HIM.

Rather crude . . . granted . . . I know, . . . and I apologize if you got "poked in the heart" [ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sKdDyyanGk ] . . . but folks, let's be CRYSTAL clear here, . . . more young female athletes, Mo'ne Ikea Davis among them, currently wake up from dreams of playing for Geno and his UConn Lady Huskies than any other Women’s Basketball program in the country.

HE WINS, UCONN WINS, WOMENS CBB WINS -- Join us and you will win too . . . because our KungFu is just stronger than anyone else's KungFu.

Women’s Basketball needs UConn . . . and UConn needs a yang to their ying, be it South Carolina, Count Dook-U, Tennessee, Texas, Notre Dame, or someone / anyone else, for the growth of the Women's game and interest in the Women's game.

Ask Vince McMahon . . . every hero needs a heel, every heel a hero [ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qd4HGYoS7E ].

BREAK

As an UConn grad, I am very excited to settle the regular season #1 argument with a very talented South Carolina (and the SEC at the same time) once and for all on 9 FEB. Now let's both go undefeated before then . . . and afterwards . . . meet for the Championship in Amalie Arena on 7 APR.
But reading below the surface of Mr. Hays' article, there are many swishing feetsies sweeping the waters of NCAA WBB going forward into the completion of the 2014-2015 season, . . . and on into the 2015-2016 season, the 2016-2017 season, and then beyond.

BREAK

Currently:

(1) There is ONLY ONE coach universally despised by everyone outside the State of Connecticut who aren't already UConn WBB fans and admirers -- Coach Geno -- and YOUR COACH will simply have to outcoach him to BEAT HIM.

(2) There are ONLY TWO schools in NCAA WBB this year that could have TWO teams ranked in the Top 10 -- UConn and South Carolina -- don't believe that, have YOUR TEAM simply BEAT either one of THEM.

(3) There is ONLY ONE Perpetual Dynasty in NCAA WBB right now -- UConn -- and every other program is currently chasing their fleeting coat-tails down from behind.

(4)
(a) However, South Carolina currently have ZERO, count 'em ZERO, Top 100 recruits coming in next year (2015-2016). . . and currently, although WAY TOO EARLY but still noteworthy, ZERO 2016-2017 recruits (See (3) above)
(b) UConn? Three (3) 5-stars in 2015 and One (1) 5-star in 2016 so far -- YOUR TEAM has to make up ground and still keep recruits away from UConn -- SO LET'S ROLL

BREAK

So unlike other WBB coaches and programs, at least Dawn Staley and South Carolina have the guts to schedule UConn (or continue to schedule them into future seasons . . . WEAK Count Dook-U, just weak), . . . helping the SOS and RPI of both schools (if either even needed it for what looks like a definite #1 seeds) going forward. Kudos to Staley and South Carolina.

However, the consensus of WBB coaches do not LIKE, . . . wait, not strong enough wording, . . . HATE . . . our brash Philadelphia-born, Italian Smart-Aleck, coach and mentor, . . . Super Geno . . . because he wins and, through no fault of HIS own, the losers remember they lost to UConn.

So now a HATE Campaign is fully underway, driven by fellow coaches like Coach Vanderveer (Stanford - PAC12), Coach Hatchell (UNC- ACC), Coach McGraw (Notre Dame - ACC), Coach McCallie (Dook U - ACC), Coach Freese (Maryland - ACC), and Coach Mulkey (Baylor) (who ditched Brittney Griner quick as she could after Griner came out as lesbian at the Baptist school -- YOU STAY CLASSY, Coach!), among a growing fandom of other coaches, to stifle Super Geno by not scheduling UConn anymore.

Now granted, as pointed out within this comments section in numerous permutations, the AAC Women’s Basketball stable of schools does not equal the high level of competition available in other Conferences -- Admittedly, the UConn Lady Huskies have more of a grease than a grind in the AAC -- and so, this is the theory that these now desperate WBB Coaches have hitched their wagon to:

We shall strangle UConn's Dynasty by leaving Super Geno and his evil minions with no one competitive to play.

Thus, if MY school no longer schedules a regular season game against UConn . . . then the by-product will be to lower UConn's overall RPI/SOS and then I can use it during recruiting when seated in a recruit's living room -- YOU WON'T PLAY ANYONE IF YOU GO TO UCONN! -- FULL STOP

Good Luck Ladies and Gentlemen -- only time will tell whether the pipeline of WBB talent into Storrs will dry up in submission to your dastardly plans.

But like the famous Bob's Furniture tagline, "I DOUBT IT!"

BREAK

Finally,

Hey Coach Warlick (née Summitt) . . . and Tennessee Lady Volunteer Nation -- did you finally see the handwriting on the wall with Maya and get SO SCURRED of losing to UConn year after year . . . that HIDING BEHIND the flame of Coach Summitt's legacy has made complacency a new UT Lady Vols tradition? -- your excuses can only last so long, until you are forced to "VOLUNTEER" to get with it after ESPN comes a'callin' with the sack of $$$ to put you together with UConn on MON nights in the future.

BREAK

2015! -- #10 -- Consider Yourselves . . . WARNED! . . . You Suckas! [On that note, GREAT salutations to SVP and Russillo] [ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7DXgUmhIUw ]

[Drop the mic]"

While I could quibble with your beliefs concerning the conspiracy of the princesses of WCBB, I was pretty much LMAO over your imported post(s). Still, I find it hard to believe that such an ardent fan has just now discovered the home of ardent fans of UConn WCBB. So I'll be keeping an eye on you, an apparent keen fan of a keen footballer turned coach(?).

Reaction Score
I'm going with what some opposing coaches have said about UConn: "I don't care what the polls say, they are the best team in the country."

Reaction Score
While I could quibble with your beliefs concerning the conspiracy of the princesses of WCBB, I was pretty much LMAO over your imported post(s). Still, I find it hard to believe that such an ardent fan has just now discovered the home of ardent fans of UConn WCBB. So I'll be keeping an eye on you, an apparent keen fan of a keen footballer turned coach(?).

Keen footballer indeed, UConn International Business study aboard at Rijksuniverseteit Limburg in Southern Netherlands and Law School Study Abroad at University College London stoked the flames from early childhood when, well before my parents were awake, I made myself French Toast and watched the Bundesliga in German on PBS from 12 inches in front of my face.

My career choice, its operational tempo, and the frequency of visits to SW Asia [ on back-to-back-to-back-to-back nights, at O’Dark Hundred, at an unknown location, I watched the both 2004 Mens and Womens Final Fours in a GP Medium – Pure SWEETNESS! ] have kept me busy and diverted my attentions from such fantastic indulgences as “The Boneyard” . . . until now.

And indeed the Son of a Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger