Graham Hayes: Should UConn be Ranked #1 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Graham Hayes: Should UConn be Ranked #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
A'ja Wilson is maybe going to be a Stewie or maybe an E. Williams. Time will tell. Her 3-13 in FGA was not inspiring against the Kentucky (we usually disappoint) team and her defense statistics were pretty good, albeit against a slow and sorta inept at offense opponent. I think she stayed home, so to speak, to be comfortable and she will be good, just never be what Graham Hays's drama suggests.

PS. I will love seeing our N. Butler match up in the paint with her next year.

Reaction Score
One observation is clear. The voters don't think or reason. UCONN could win their next 50 games by 50 points each and SCU could win their next 50 by one point each. Even against common opponents the rankings wouldn't change.
So like so many have said in other words: "Who cares?"

Reaction Score
One observation is clear. The voters don't think or reason. UCONN could win their next 50 games by 50 points each and SCU could win their next 50 by one point each. Even against common opponents the rankings wouldn't change.
Great post, Sonny, just disagree with the (implied) conclusion: Polls don't matter because they don't pick the champion which is what does matter.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
A'ja Wilson is maybe going to be a Stewie or maybe an E. Williams. Time will tell. Her 3-13 in FGA was not inspiring against the Kentucky (we usually disappoint) team and her defense statistics were pretty good, albeit against a slow and sorta inept at offense opponent. I think she stayed home, so to speak, to be comfortable and she will be good, just never be what Graham Hays's drama suggests.

PS. I will love seeing our N. Butler match up in the paint with her next year.

Dont know if you will see that matchup next year. They will have Coates and White to mix things up down low....

Reaction Score
Who's #1 at the end counts most but it's not the only thing that counts. Today the buzz revolves around South Carolina, in part, because they're #1. "Buzz" can be a driver in a self-fulfilling prophesy because those who want to excel are attracted by excellence. Right now, South Carolina is being held up as the best of the best. No matter how many times someone says polls don't matter, time spent atop the polls carries benefits.

There is a lesser known "little sister" to the "Law of Diminishing Returns" known as the "Law of Increasing Returns." Increasing Returns holds that there is a point on the returns curve where returns increase even when effort expended on the drivers of returns remains constant or declines. UConn is likely beyond that point at the present time. Geno and company only have so much capacity. The efficiencies the coaches have implemented in the processes are already baked into the pie. Despite expending roughly equivalent energy year over year UConn has increased its lead over the rest of WCBB because excellence begets and attracts excellence. At the present time, South Carolina is likely deriving excessive benefits due to its poll position.

In a similar vein to this post, USC derives more value from being ranked #1 now because it validates their rise in WCBB. Conversely, UCONN has already been recognized as the premier program in WCBB for years; therefore it wouldn't help or it doesn't hurt UCONN to not be ranked #1 during the season.

Reaction Score
The best rating system has to be brain-dead RPI, which now has UConn at #4 behind ND, UTenn and KY, with USCar at #7. But of course there are learned posters who swear by its supreme worth in all there team comparisons.

Curious as to who has that view. I've never seen anyone say anything like that.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Despite the sensibleness of your post we don't know the criteria by which teams are ranked...or, at least, I don't know the criteria. We also don't know what the rankings are supposed to represent. South Carolina is now #1 on 28 ballots. Were I to vote, what should my first place ballot mean? Should it mean that I believe the team I nominate could beat any other team tonight? Or is it the team I think has played the best overall so far this season? Or maybe it's the team that I think will win the national championship this year.
Interesting question, as I have never been able to find what if any instructions are given to poll voters except to just rank them in the order you think they should be ranked. That said, however, I'm sure that the rankings are based on games played, not what pollsters expect to happen in the future. There have been times when teams have lost key players but keep winning and do not drop in the rankings until they actually lose. Likewise I have never seen pollsters switch a #1 team for the #2 team because they are playing on #2's court next week and #1 is kind of expected to lose.

I can understand if a lot of pollsters say "a loss is a loss" and have USCar at #1. What I would not understand is if they said that because UConn had by far the tougher schedule that they would have put the Huskies #1 despite the loss except that USCar has more tough teams ahead and should be rewarded for that. That would be crazy.

Likewise, even if as a UConn fan I felt that the men's team was destined to win the NC last year, I still would not have ranked them #1 entering the Tournament. So no the polls are not supposed to be a measure of just "who you think will win the NC."

Reaction Score
So many are trying to apply rules of logic to rankings in the polls, when no such rules can truly obtain...the entire subject is just too subjective. What fascinates me most is why the polls matter so much to so many. Why does anyone care? Is it simply a point of pride? Do I think UConn has the best team in the country? Of course. But I am utterly and entirely indifferent to where they rank in any poll...there is only one true determinate, and, ultimately, that won't come until April. Although we UConn fans have been spoiled, undefeated seasons in basketball remain, and should be, a relative rarity. Most observers realize that the loss to Stanford was a good thing for this team. Yes, that loss has had an effect on the polls. So what?

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I like his poll. Oregon St has good players and a good post player that's big. Under pressure they will be good. UConn doesn't need to be firing on all cylinders to beat teams by 20+. Opponents need to be firing on all cylinders to stay within double digits. Do fans really understand how good this team is? Theyre crazy good. Geno takes off the press, no fast break, and puts in the bench and they still blow opponents a game. Take a look at the games one by one and the stats. This team right now is unbeatable in WCBB.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
So many are trying to apply rules of logic to rankings in the polls, when no such rules can truly obtain...the entire subject is just too subjective. What fascinates me most is why the polls matter so much to so many. Why does anyone care? Is it simply a point of pride? Do I think UConn has the best team in the country? Of course. But I am utterly and entirely indifferent to where they rank in any poll...there is only one true determinate, and, ultimately, that won't come until April. Although we UConn fans have been spoiled, undefeated seasons in basketball remain, and should be, a relative rarity. Most observers realize that the loss to Stanford was a good thing for this team. Yes, that loss has had an effect on the polls. So what?

Tis is a common refrain of yours Petunia, and I do understand the empirical logic with which you approach a subjective, anonymous, and almost meaningless poll. But is it meaningless. truly? Will the NCAA selection committee put a team consistently ranked 20-25 into a number 3 seed? Nah, I'm just fooling with you about that question. Truth is if you are a fan, aka fanatic, the perception that so outside force disrespects your team is enough to cause you to froth at the mouth and start plotting revenge. We have to care Petunia. It is the essence of sports to be rabid! Sure, we do not storm the playing field and beat the refs, or beat the opposing teams fans with garbage can lids, but we are no less fans than those crazed footballers, and I personally cannot understand how you cannot understand the underlying irrationality of our glorious fandom!

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I can guarantee you one thing. On Feb 9 when UConn faces SC. UConn wont be fearing SC, however SC will be fearing UConn. I will title this game Welcome to your Nitemare. Reality and intimidation will strike WCBB after this game. UConn continues to maintain a level of excellence that cant be matched. UConn is virtually undefendable. Listening to Geno talk is an education. He has his team at a level where he is teaching how to mentally be prepared and mentally to be relaxed. I think its from the book I sent him, Beyond Positive Thinking, Dr Robert Anthony. Its a great book if you have to chance to read it. The great ones understand that the difference from being good and being great at anything is right between your ears, and how you control what's in between your ears.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I can guarantee you one thing. On Feb 9 when UConn faces SC. UConn wont be fearing SC, however SC will be fearing UConn. I will title this game Welcome to your Nitemare. Reality and intimidation will strike WCBB after this game. UConn continues to maintain a level of excellence that cant be matched. UConn is virtually undefendable. Listening to Geno talk is an education. He has his team at a level where he is teaching how to mentally be prepared and mentally to be relaxed. I think its from the book I sent him, Beyond Positive Thinking, Dr Robert Anthony. Its a great book if you have to chance to read it. The great ones understand that the difference from being good and being great at anything is right between your ears, and how you control what's in between your ears.

I agree. I was a duffer golfer until I read Chevy Chase's "The Mind Game of Golf" and surrendered my game to it. Suddenly I was a 3 handicapper with too many guys who wanted to pair up. Took me right out of the game. But it is true as Geno said about our favorite PG just yesterday, it is 90% mental once you know you can do it.

Reaction Score
I'm with you on this one Sonny. Every time I watch South Carolina they seem to be in a fight for their lives. When UConn plays, they blow out the team by 20 whether they are ranked in the top 10 or some hapless conference foe.

Reaction Score
Agree. I'm thinking 74-9 midway through the second half.

Reaction Score
Tis is a common refrain of yours Petunia, and I do understand the empirical logic with which you approach a subjective, anonymous, and almost meaningless poll. But is it meaningless. truly? Will the NCAA selection committee put a team consistently ranked 20-25 into a number 3 seed? Nah, I'm just fooling with you about that question. Truth is if you are a fan, aka fanatic, the perception that so outside force disrespects your team is enough to cause you to froth at the mouth and start plotting revenge. We have to care Petunia. It is the essence of sports to be rabid! Sure, we do not storm the playing field and beat the refs, or beat the opposing teams fans with garbage can lids, but we are no less fans than those crazed footballers, and I personally cannot understand how you cannot understand the underlying irrationality of our glorious fandom!
Well, Rocky, I enjoyed your humorous post, and even gave it a "like." But I still can't go there with you. Worrying about rankings in polls is just an exercise for the perennially insecure. If, for example, you're a fan of Notre Dame football, and your team is 3-6, you whine about not being ranked in the Top 25. Understandably, they're always on thin ice. If you're a fan of UConn Women's Basketball, however, it seems to me that a quieter level of confidence (or arrogance) is called for. I know we're just foolin' around here, but look, you and I both know who will be ranked #1 the morning after the NC game.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Well, Rocky, I enjoyed your humorous post, and even gave it a "like." But I still can't go there with you. Worrying about rankings in polls is just an exercise for the perennially insecure. If, for example, you're a fan of Notre Dame football, and your team is 3-6, you whine about not being ranked in the Top 25. Understandably, they're always on thin ice. If you're a fan of UConn Women's Basketball, however, it seems to me that a quieter level of confidence (or arrogance) is called for. I know we're just foolin' around here, but look, you and I both know who will be ranked #1 the morning after the NC game.
But the question is, will it be unanimous? Last year of course it had to be, since even the USA Today pollster who had been voting for ND most of the way finally had a mind change in the final poll after the NC game for some reason. But in 2013 it was not, as UConn was not perfect and one pollster voted for a team that was knocked out in the Sweet 16.

You just never know.

Reaction Score
"There is also nobody on Connecticut's roster with as much untapped potential as A'ja Wilson, who mixed in more than a few "wow" moments amid a 3-of-13 shooting day against Kentucky."

I agree she had a couple of plays that had me muttering 'yikes!', but, at least yesterday, she looked like a frosh a lot of the time. Lest we forget: potential is a dirty word because it means you haven't done it...yet. If she decides to pull a "Stewie" and start playing consistently late in the season, she'll be a force.

The other point that comes to mind are all the players who, for whatever reason, never find the key to unlocking their potential. Our program has a pretty good record when it comes to that.

Maybe it's the water from the Fenton.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think Gabby Williams has a ton of potential, but she and Geno have begun tapping it.

I don't disagree with SC being #1 in the polls, given that they are undefeated, are in a major conference, and have beaten some good teams. But I really think UConn is now the best team. If we do have a #1 v. #2 match-up, it could be one of the most one-sided games of that ilk.

On a related note, ND's string of being in the top 5 was broken this week. Meanwhile, UConn's steak in the top 5 will hit 8 YEARS at the end of the month. We have Geno and no one else does.

Reaction Score
It's who is #1 at the end that counts. I'm looking forward to Feb 9th and I
hope SC does not lose until then. I really believe that the Stanford loss was
a good punch in the nose for this team. Now they are focused.

Gampel will be rocking on Feb 9th. We will see who is who on that night.
What I'm wondering is how people would feel if UConn had won by a point in overtime against Stanford. Being undefeated, would they be worthy of first place, even in the face of a horrible performance against a less than stellar Stanford team? The distinction of a single basket can have a profound effect on how people evaluate the best team. One of the most horrific displays of basketball I've seen in a long time was the game between Duke and USC that Duke gave away when leading by 4 points with only seconds left. Both teams looked horrendous and USC got a gift. I feel that it's highly unlikely anybody would say they performed better that day than UConn did in their Palo Alto loss. As has been mentioned, it should all be resolved next month. If it's a blowout UConn victory (I'm not saying it will) what will the naysayers be saying then? Actually, I wouldn't be overly surprised if we win big because what I've seen of UConn since then has been so night and day from what happened there. UConn has fixed the serious defensive flaws that resulted in pretty uncontested baskets by Stanford that kept them in the game and they are getting so much more production from Moriah and Morgan it isn't funny. Not only that, but the foul issues which were huge in that game should never be a problem again.

Reaction Score
I think Gabby Williams has a ton of potential, but she and Geno have begun tapping it.

I don't disagree with SC being #1 in the polls, given that they are undefeated, are in a major conference, and have beaten some good teams. But I really think UConn is now the best team. If we do have a #1 v. #2 match-up, it could be one of the most one-sided games of that ilk.

On a related note, ND's string of being in the top 5 was broken this week. Meanwhile, UConn's steak in the top 5 will hit 8 YEARS at the end of the month. We have Geno and no one else does.
I agree that the potential of a very one sided game is there. In my mind, the only hope that South Carolina has is their length and we've done pretty well against some teams with size. I really, really like our chances of a resounding win.

Reaction Score
What I'm wondering is how people would feel if UConn had won by a point in overtime against Stanford. Being undefeated, would they be worthy of first place, even in the face of a horrible performance against a less than stellar Stanford team?

That's easy. Still winning when you are playing poorly is generally regarded as a characteristic of a great team.
Yes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I agree that the potential of a very one sided game is there. In my mind, the only hope that South Carolina has is their length and we've done pretty well against some teams with size. I really, really like our chances of a resounding win.

Let's don't get too cocky. I remember all the crowing about going undefeated for years to come and then Stanford beat us. SC will be a force to reckon with Feb 9th.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
It would be better for UConn to have a chance to improve its record against #1 teams, which is only at 5-7. The Huskies are 18-6 against #2 teams, so that record doesn't really need any more beefing up.

And can you get too cocky when you're up against the GameCocks? I would think you would want to get as much cocky as you can to win the game.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
It would be better for UConn to have a chance to improve its record against #1 teams, which is only at 5-7. The Huskies are 18-6 against #2 teams, so that record doesn't really need any more beefing up.

And can you get too cocky when you're up against the GameCocks? I would think you would want to get as much cocky as you can to win the game.
It's hard to improve that record when you're usually the number 1 team. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Let's don't get too cocky. I remember all the crowing about going undefeated for years to come and then Stanford beat us. SC will be a force to reckon with Feb 9th.
I think you're exactly right, or, more accurately I ardently hope you're right. We, as UConn fans, and the sport in general, desperately need some great and intense rivalries. I know that, for many, I speak heresy, but I would much rather see us engaged in fierce competition with other programs where we win some and lose some than too many more games characterized by scores like 72-9 after three quarters. I think we beat SC, but I'm proud of Dawn and what she's putting together down there and hope they step up big time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom