Grades For Our 2 Freshmen | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Grades For Our 2 Freshmen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Given it’s beyond the midway point and given both are freshman that have been asked to do a lot, I’d give them each an A-. Obviously the consistency comes with more practice, conditioning, learning the system, building confidence, etc. But given that they’ve shown up in games more and more as the season comes along, I’d have to say they are priming themselves for fantastic sophomore years (and yes I realize there’s still plenty of basketball left to play this season). The only thing that’s holding them back from “A” or “A+” status is that they have been too tentative in big games (again, that comes with more reps against better teams, though Aubrey guarding Cox and Hebard (and Anna on Hebard as well) shows they’ve got the grit to have storied careers at UConn.

Last edited:

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I am not going to assign any grades unless "Incomplete" is a grade. I agree that their potential is unknown but looking very good. What I would want to see is some kind of consistency over the course of several games. For instance, remember Aubrey's Seton Hall game and most of us going Bananas over that performance? Has she had any game close to that since? I would not expect a duplicate game but just something close to it offensively, with good defense thrown in. Same thing for Anna, consistency in her all around game that we all have seen her do, just do it over the course of the rest of the season.
Don't get me wrong, I am glad that we can count on them but I also believe that if they are consistently good, it takes the pressure off of everyone. Just like if the other players on the court are going good and the freshman are too, then this team is way better heading into March and April.
That's all.

Reaction Score
Her being so frequently blocked on putbacks is mystifying to me, given her amazing vertical and quick ups. Why does it happen? I am genuinely perplexed, and value your opinion as a basketball lifer (when you are not stuck in the self-created role of Ossining Homer ;)).
Yes .. AG does not know how to "hide" the ball on putbacks which she didn't need to do in high school .. her father will straighten her out over the summer.
And no, i m not an Ossining 'homer' .. rather, i m a Christ the King homer where my two daughters played! haha
Ossining is not quite in the same league as CK who has 15 or so NY State titles, eh?

Reaction Score
Yes .. AG does not know how to "hide" the ball on putbacks which she didn't need to do in high school .. her father will straighten her out over the summer.
And no, i m not an Ossining 'homer' .. rather, i m a Christ the King homer where my two daughters played! haha
Ossining is not quite in the same league as CK who has 15 or so NY State titles, eh?
Got it. Thus far, she has not had to deploy deception. No matter how great her vertical, on the way up she is vulnerable.

Yep, Ossining is no Christ the King. Although other national powerhouses have arisen in recent years, CTK still owns New York.

Reaction Score
I would like to add that she also doesn't ball fake or head fake on put backs for the same reason which is that she didn't have to in high school. She also doesn't shoot a baby jumper on those put backs where Meg does. The baby jumper or double pump is much harder to block because it is way more difficult for a defender to time the shot. I also think that she is a very "young" freshman and what you see this year is not what you will see next year.

Reaction Score
I would like to add that she also doesn't ball fake or head fake on put backs for the same reason which is that she didn't have to in high school. She also doesn't shoot a baby jumper on those put backs where Meg does. The baby jumper or double pump is much harder to block because it is way more difficult for a defender to time the shot. I also think that she is a very "young" freshman and what you see this year is not what you will see next year.
Agree!

Reaction Score
Got it. Thus far, she has not had to deploy deception. No matter how great her vertical, on the way up she is vulnerable.

Yep, Ossining is no Christ the King. Although other national powerhouses have arisen in recent years, CTK still owns New York.
Yes!

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I believe that this was the first conference game that Anna started and with only six games left she will only start at most five more games. If this is so then if she keeps playing like she did in yesterdays game she should end up with the sixth player award in the AAC and maybe the FOY.
Afraid Boston has wrapped up FOY

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score
Her being so frequently blocked on putbacks is mystifying to me, given her amazing vertical and quick ups. Why does it happen? I am genuinely perplexed, and value your opinion as a basketball lifer (when you are not stuck in the self-created role of Ossining Homer ;)).
Not all putbacks are the same. She is great on the athletic putbacks where she can elevate, rebound, and shoot all in one motion. When AG has the ball flat footed he putbacks are very simple and predictable. Her shots start from a low position (shoulder level) and the trajectory of her arm motions are straight. She may be unaware of the defensive player, but she does not use her body or off arm to protect the shot. I think she lacks the physical maturity to clear room to shoot. And lastly she doesn't demonstrate the hand strength to power through attempted blocks. All of these are easily fixable and some physical maturity will help.

Reaction Score
Aubrey is exceptional athletic player but no one has ever shown her how to shoot with consistent form a basketball in traffic or just shooting three's or foul shooting. Once your 18, it to late to learn how to shoot.

Is this a joke? Her father is a former NBA player and current NBA coach, her older brother is playing at Illinois, her younger brother is headed to Duke, and you don't think anybody ever taught her a jump shot or a free throw?

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score
Is this a joke? Her father is a former NBA player and current NBA coach, her older brother is playing at Illinois, her younger brother is headed to Duke, and you don't think anybody ever taught her a jump shot or a free throw?
Agreed. But being taught and having to use those skills under duress at a D1 level is a different situation. She never needed those skills in high school. Now she needs to vary the arsenal she has undoubtedly been introduced in high stress. You will find that if a player hurries her shot just a fraction of a second, her mechanics are altered enough to turn a good shot into a close miss. Some players lose eye focus and shoot 'at' the rim instead of focusing on a very small spot. She will be fine in time.

Reaction Score
Yes .. Aubrey's father and bros will iron out the kinks in her game during the off-season .. right now [and rightly so] they can't interfere [read meddle] with the UConn coaches during the season.
Also, it seems that Aubrey is playing "not to make a mistake" .. this mentality shows up on offense much more so than on defense, eh?

Reaction Score
In my opinion, the game needs to slow down for her, so she can incorporate "basketball moves" to fake out defenders...just the tiniest hesitation by a defender and she is home free. She is playing as she did in HS, where no one could keep up, or come close to defending.her. Pump fakes, head bobs, and a better peripheral sense ( who is coming at me, how fast, and at what angle ?) will come with time. And then she will " finish" with more regularity.

Reaction Score
We have FIVE Freshmen next year! Plus Evina!
And if you watch Geno's latest show he talks about each one. And it is exciting. He seems thrilled.

To summarize:

1. He says Paige may or may not be the best player in the country ( Who really ever knows?), but she is the best player for UCONN. That says a ton.

2. The Maryland recruit ( I don't have the names down yet ); Geno said, " there are players who rebound, and players who go get rebounds." This player goes and gets them.

3. The player form Canada. Geno saw her play when he went to recruit her. She is as relentless a player as he has ever seen. " We've got to get this kid, " were his words. And he did.

( Kia Nurse, anyone?) This is my comment, not coach.

4. The Croatian. Not only is she an exciting prospect because of our recent " gold strike" with Ania, but he says this player "really gets it." He noted something she said : "I prefer assists to baskets. When you score a basket, you make one person happy. When you give an assist, two people are happy."

5. The 6'5" New Hampshire player. What impressed Geno was that "this very large athlete runs the floor, full out, every time," in high school. He says this is a kid who has no idea how good she can become. The coaching staff is looking forward to bringing that out.

He did concede that handling five newbies is a difficult circumstance, Particularly, given the returning talent. On the other hand, the team will see five players depart this June, so it keeps the team at a good number. The following class will not be that large, Two or three players is likely ideal.

I mean think about it:

1. Megan Walker
2. Williams
3. Olivia
4. Ania
5. Westbrook
6. Aubry

And the new group of five, some of whom appear of superstar potential.

Quite a coaching challenge to teach, develop and keep everyone happy.

Reaction Score
In my opinion, the game needs to slow down for her, so she can incorporate "basketball moves" to fake out defenders...just the tiniest hesitation by a defender and she is home free. She is playing as she did in HS, where no one could keep up, or come close to defending.her. Pump fakes, head bobs, and a better peripheral sense ( who is coming at me, how fast, and at what angle ?) will come with time. And then she will " finish" with more regularity.
Very good!

Reaction Score
Are you sure of that ?
Kelly Faris : FG Pct Freshman 38.2 Senior 53.0
3 pt FG Pct Freshman 27.0 Senior 41.5
The video demonstrates that Griffen CAN shoot, and with good form. It's there, it just needs tweaking, a regular shooter in practice games. That was Aubrey in those videos. Granted it didn't show the misses, but the ones she swished, both close in and threes, indicated real skills.

Reaction Score
I would agree with Nyskier.
A for Anna, B for Aubrey.
If Geno has a heart-to-heart with Aubrey like
he did with Anna before she went to Poland about not thinking so much.......then Aubrey improves immediately. I see her making errors and getting down on herself! Her rebounds are awesome! She will improve on all ends I can just feel it. Just give her a little time. Just love both the A’s! Huskies play hard Monday and keep movin’ .........

Reaction Score
In case you wondered, Anna’s 8 threes were exceeded by 1-2 threes by only 4 UConn players.
Her 11 assists were topped by 1-2 assists by 8 UConn players.
All time.
In case you forgot, she’s a freshman.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
And if you watch Geno's latest show he talks about each one. And it is exciting. He seems thrilled.

To summarize:

1. He says Paige may or may not be the best player in the country ( Who really ever knows?), but she is the best player for UCONN. That says a ton.

2. The Maryland recruit ( I don't have the names down yet ); Geno said, " there are players who rebound, and players who go get rebounds." This player goes and gets them.

3. The player form Canada. Geno saw her play when he went to recruit her. She is as relentless a player as he has ever seen. " We've got to get this kid, " were his words. And he did.

( Kia Nurse, anyone?) This is my comment, not coach.

4. The Croatian. Not only is she an exciting prospect because of our recent " gold strike" with Ania, but he says this player "really gets it." He noted something she said : "I prefer assists to baskets. When you score a basket, you make one person happy. When you give an assist, two people are happy."

5. The 6'5" New Hampshire player. What impressed Geno was that "this very large athlete runs the floor, full out, every time," in high school. He says this is a kid who has no idea how good she can become. The coaching staff is looking forward to bringing that out.

He did concede that handling five newbies is a difficult circumstance, Particularly, given the returning talent. On the other hand, the team will see five players depart this June, so it keeps the team at a good number. The following class will not be that large, Two or three players is likely ideal.

I mean think about it:

1. Megan Walker
2. Williams
3. Olivia
4. Ania
5. Westbrook
6. Aubry

And the new group of five, some of whom appear of superstar potential.

Quite a coaching challenge to teach, develop and keep everyone happy.
Paige Bueckers from Minnesota.

Mir McLean from Maryland.

Aaliyah Edwards from Canada.

Nika Muhl from Croatia.

Piath Gabriel from New Hampshhire.

Reaction Score
As a former college instructor when I was a grad student, let's agree to grade them for a class called UConn WBB 101. They are freshman so let's not try to grade them at the 400 level of a senior.

When thinking of the curve, if Maya was A+ and Stewie was an A (by the end) with AEH as an F, then I would say Anna comes in as a solid B+ with potential to get in the A range by the final exam if she can get her assists and scoring to happen together on the regular.

I would say Aubrey is in the B- range showing flashes but still usually looks like a deer caught in headlights when she tries to do anything team oriented. She is currently only able to do individual things like one on one defense, rebounding, or slash to the basket which is keeping her from a failing grade. She needs to show that she can shoot from outside the paint and make free throws or operate within the offense to improve her grade for the final. If she could miraculously do all of that then it gets into an A territory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom