Grades For Our 2 Freshmen | The Boneyard

Grades For Our 2 Freshmen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
And what is your grading system based on, last game, some games, a specific game, specific games, all games or...?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
And what is your grading system based on, last game, some games, a specific game, specific games, all games or...?
Who cares? LOL! Kidding, sort of. I think his point is just that they both have worked hard and improved tremendously.

It's a treat to watch what Anna is capable of, and she's just scratching the surface. Aubrey is learning to harness her incredible athleticism and as she improves her jumper, will become even more dangerous. I love our freshmen. Wish we had more like them. Next year we will!! ;)

Reaction Score
Are you grading on a curve? I would give them both Bs. Unless they help lead us into the FF then of course A.

Reaction Score
Who cares? LOL! Kidding, sort of. I think his point is just that they both have worked hard and improved tremendously.

It's a treat to watch what Anna is capable of, and she's just scratching the surface. Aubrey is learning to harness her incredible athleticism and as she improves her jumper, will become even more dangerous. I love our freshmen. Wish we had more like them. Next year we will!! ;)
If any of you are looking for a serious evaluation, Here it is;

1. Ania has shocked me with how good a basketball player she is. Coach finally made the move yesterday, and put her in the starting line-up. She is definitely an "A" based upon; she is a freshman starting for UCONN, she passes better than anyone on the team ( 11 assists yesterday); has a deadly 3 point shot ( when she can set her feet and line it up ); is outstanding on the break; is an aggressive rebounder and defender; and has a high basketball IQ.

2. Aubrey is a C+. A great athlete who would excel at almost any sport. She is a basketball player of important, but limited value. She has earned all her accolades because of her ability to out leap and outrun most of her competition in HS. But she is not a good shooter and, in my view, unlikely ever to become one. Did you see her one shot two games ago? ( missed the entire backboard area) ; did you see her one shot yesterday? ( about a foot to the left of the rim ). Have you noticed her unease at the foul line? ( in her HS career, she was only a 65% free throw shooter ). At this moment, Geno is using her exactly how she can add value; as an off the bench " sixth player." She can defend, rebound, disrupt and create turnovers. She can change the energy and momentum of a game, for a brief burst of time. She has not shown a great ability
to " finish " when around the rim, unless she is unchallenged. That will improve, as she learns better timing and the use of " head pumps" and the like. And she has been slow ( vs. Ania) to show a command of the UCONN offense. Don't get me wrong; she is a valuable asset, and will contribute a lot to balanced UCONN teams. But she is not likely to ever be a starter, and noteworthy of an A rating at this point. I love watching her, except when I have to grimace as she blows a lay-up.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I believe that this was the first conference game that Anna started and with only six games left she will only start at most five more games. If this is so then if she keeps playing like she did in yesterdays game she should end up with the sixth player award in the AAC and maybe the FOY.

Reaction Score
Aubrey is exceptional athletic player but no one has ever shown her how to shoot with consistent form a basketball in traffic or just shooting three's or foul shooting. Once your 18, it to late to learn how to shoot.

Reaction Score
Dabber's grading system would have gotten me out of reform school and into college. I would give a B+ to Anna and a b to Aubrey. Aubrey just needs to get better at putting the ball through the hoop to catch Anna however.

Reaction Score
If any of you are looking for a serious evaluation, Here it is;

2. Aubrey is a C+. A great athlete who would excel at almost any sport. She is a basketball player of important, but limited value. She has earned all her accolades because of her ability to out leap and outrun most of her competition in HS. But she is not a good shooter and, in my view, unlikely ever to become one. Did you see her one shot two games ago? ( missed the entire backboard area) ; did you see her one shot yesterday? ( about a foot to the left of the rim ). Have you noticed her unease at the foul line? ( in her HS career, she was only a 65% free throw shooter ).

nope.............that Aubrey can't shoot at all..........

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Are you sure of that ?
Kelly Faris : FG Pct Freshman 38.2 Senior 53.0
3 pt FG Pct Freshman 27.0 Senior 41.5
No. He does not know what he is talking about. Ask oldude. Griffin needs to get stronger and improve her handle. The fact she missed a shot badly, Megan and Anna shot air balls in the Memphis game. That happens to most players. I don't know why some think Griffin should be able to grasp the UConn system as a freshman when others have had similar problems. Anyone making a matter of fact statement about what a player will not accomplish sounds like those who said all Kyla and Molly will ever be are mop up players and will never start. Well, they are not stars but they have been valuable to UConn in their senior season.

Last edited:

wbball novice

That bandwagon guy
Reaction Score
Been meaning to ask. Does UConn have a designated shooting coach (including FTs)? Shea works with guards, but I don't recall she was a particularly good shooter. I know CD is responsible for the bigs but I figured it was positioning and defense more than shooting. Which I would imagine Jamelle does as well. I'm wondering if it is common practice in D1 women's bball to have a shooting coach. Wonder how they train the 3 pt shooters at DePaul. On the other hand watching some SEC teams (not SC), they might be unaware of the concept.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
INC although the SC game will definitely provide more data, especially on Anna. She will be a significant focus of the SC defense. I am really curious to see how she does.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Shea was a very good FT shooter and decent generally.

Reaction Score
Been meaning to ask. Does UConn have a designated shooting coach (including FTs)? Shea works with guards, but I don't recall she was a particularly good shooter. I know CD is responsible for the bigs but I figured it was positioning and defense more than shooting. Which I would imagine Jamelle does as well. I'm wondering if it is common practice in D1 women's bball to have a shooting coach. Wonder how they train the 3 pt shooters at DePaul. On the other hand watching some SEC teams (not SC), they might be unaware of the concept.

I'm not sure if there is a designated shooting coach at UConn...............many of the players have private coaches that they work out with over the summers where many adjustments to their shooting and offensive moves/tactics take place.........

Reaction Score
Griffin can shoot, I have seen her in high school, so no worries .. and her shooting form on free throws is fine. During the off-season, her father will work on her faults, in particular, getting blocked on put-backs .. next season, she'll be a new woman! :)

wbball novice

That bandwagon guy
Reaction Score
I checked on the UConn site for coaches' backgrounds. Jasmine Lister has worked with 2 teams that had outstanding shooters.

"Prior to returning to Storrs, Lister helped DePaul to a 27-8 overall record in 2017-18, including the BIG EAST regular season and tournament titles and an NCAA Tournament appearance. The Blue Demons led the nation in three-point field goals per game and were second nationally in total three-point field goals made and three-point attempts. The team’s 422 total three pointers were the most in program history.

Before her time with the Blue Demons, Lister spent the 2016-17 as an assistant coach at Washington. The West Coast Huskies went 29-6 and advanced to the Sweet 16. Kelsey Plum and Chantel Osahor were named WBCA All-Americans while Plum won the Wade Trophy and Wooden Award."

My guess would be she did some coaching for shooters on UConn.

Reaction Score
Look, Anna is potentially good enough to end up on the wall. If we give her an A now what grade do we give her as a senior? I also wouldn’t write Aubrey off. Anna was mature enough to overcome early problems, Aubrey isn’t but that doesn’t mean it is all over for her. She misses free throws because she’s afraid she’s going to miss free throws. Anna throws impossible passes because she thinks she can do the impossible. Against Memphis the impossible didn’t become possible, it became routine. And, yes, Aubrey misses a lot of layups, as in A LOT of layups, but she is frequently giving several inches in height. Do not count her out.

Reaction Score
Look, Anna is potentially good enough to end up on the wall. If we give her an A now what grade do we give her as a senior? I also wouldn’t write Aubrey off. Anna was mature enough to overcome early problems, Aubrey isn’t but that doesn’t mean it is all over for her. She misses free throws because she’s afraid she’s going to miss free throws. Anna throws impossible passes because she thinks she can do the impossible. Against Memphis the impossible didn’t become possible, it became routine. And, yes, Aubrey misses a lot of layups, as in A LOT of layups, but she is frequently giving several inches in height. Do not count her out.

You give AM an A / A- as a frosh. Next year is a different year. See what she builds on (or hopefully doesn't regress or stay the same.) then grade her accordingly as a soph independent of her frosh year. IMO she is a top-tier freshman. Thus the A- grade.

Reaction Score
B+ for "0 for America" and B- for AG. AG is shooting 50% from the field and 55% from the line! Imagine what she could do if she learned how to shoot consistently..

Reaction Score
Griffin can shoot, I have seen her in high school, so no worries .. and her shooting form on free throws is fine. During the off-season, her father will work on her faults, in particular, getting blocked on put-backs .. next season, she'll be a new woman! :)
Her being so frequently blocked on putbacks is mystifying to me, given her amazing vertical and quick ups. Why does it happen? I am genuinely perplexed, and value your opinion as a basketball lifer (when you are not stuck in the self-created role of Ossining Homer ;)).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom