Grad Transfer Evelyn Adebayo commits to UConn | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Grad Transfer Evelyn Adebayo commits to UConn

Reaction Score
This adds much needed front court depth for the Huskies. Evelyn was the best player by far on the Racers team.

Geno replaces one double-double machine (Pheesa) with another. Evelyn had two of her best games In OOC games vs SEC teams. She put up 20 & 9 vs KY and 28 & 5 vs TN.

Let's go easy here! Adebayo is a nice player and put up great numbers against Tenn and Kentucky, but she is not in the same stratosphere as Collier. Adebayo will definitely help UConn and give quality minutes, but if you are looking for her to replace Pheesa as a "double double machine", you will be very disappointed.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
From her clip, she does not suffer from lack of confidence. Has strong drives on both sides, some nice post spin and delay moves (a bit of tuck / collier mix) and does not fear bringing the ball up and can shoot as well. What is not to like. I am psyched.

And she torched TN
:D

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Let's go easy here! Adebayo is a nice player and put up great numbers against Tenn and Kentucky, but she is not in the same stratosphere as Collier. Adebayo will definitely help UConn and give quality minutes, but if you are looking for her to replace Pheesa as a "double double machine", you will be very disappointed.
Clearly, Evelyn is not Pheesa, and that’s not what I’m saying. But she has the ability to replace a lot of Pheesa’s production. The fact that she has excelled against P5 competition tells me that she is more than capable of being a very solid player for UConn.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
From her clip, she does not suffer from lack of confidence. Has strong drives on both sides, some nice post spin and delay moves (a bit of tuck / collier mix) and does not fear bringing the ball up and can shoot as well. What is not to like. I am psyched.

And she torched TN
:D
I’m sure the LV’s will be thrilled to see her again. ;)

Also, she has some really funky, playground shots around the basket. At first, I thought she hit one or two lucky shots. But as I watched her make a couple dozen similar shots, it’s pretty clear she’s got an innate ability to throw up shots around the basket from just about any angle and make shots.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
here's a nice article regarding her transition from Gardner-Webb to Murray State......gives a better sense of her thought process

London native Adebayo filling Racers’ post presence - TheNews.org

She will rise to the challenge. I see strong physical minutes from her.

“About a month ago or so I don’t know what happened, but something just clicked,” Turner said. “She has been unbelievable. We always knew it was there. I truly believe she is an All-Conference type of player. The ability she has to do so many different things is going to be a mismatch for some people. I’m really excited to watch her growth and see what she can do this year.”

and more international flavor as well

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Not to be a Debbie Downer, but I looked up the box score of the Murray State v. Tennessee game, which was played just after Christmas. Evelyn played 37 minutes to get her 28 points. Impressively, she was 10-for-19 on field goals and 7-for-7 from the free throw line. (Just getting to the line enough to get seven free throw attempts on Tennessee's home court is impressive in itself.) She made 1 of 3 attempts from 3-point land.

However, in those 37 minutes, she got only 5 rebounds, of which only one was on the offensive boards. Another Murray State player had 8 rebounds, and another teammate also had 5. Overall, Murray State was outrebounded 56-24 and gave up 25 offensive rebounds.

That suggests to me that she may be more of a "finesse" player who has some midrange scoring talent, but is not a powerful presence in the paint.

If Batouly can play serious minutes next year, it seems to me that her style of play is much more in line with what the team will need.

Reaction Score
Glad to have her aboard!

But let's not get too crazy folks. Many proclaimed that Natalie Butler would be the 2nd coming.
Point: transferring to UConn is not easy. And success elsewhere is not a great predictor of UConn success.

Updated roster:
G Danger (Sr) - G Williams (So) - F Walker (Jr) - C ONO (So)
W Makurat (Fr) - F Griffin (Fr) - F/C Camara (Sr) - F Adebayo (Sr)
G Bent (Sr) - F Irwn (Sr)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Not to be a Debbie Downer, but I looked up the box score of the Murray State v. Tennessee game, which was played just after Christmas. Evelyn played 37 minutes to get her 28 points.
Really? It took her nearly a whole game to score 28 points? How disappointing. :rolleyes:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Not to be a Debbie Downer, but I looked up the box score of the Murray State v. Tennessee game, which was played just after Christmas. Evelyn played 37 minutes to get her 28 points. Impressively, she was 10-for-19 on field goals and 7-for-7 from the free throw line. (Just getting to the line enough to get seven free throw attempts on Tennessee's home court is impressive in itself.) She made 1 of 3 attempts from 3-point land.

However, in those 37 minutes, she got only 5 rebounds, of which only one was on the offensive boards. Another Murray State player had 8 rebounds, and another teammate also had 5. Overall, Murray State was outrebounded 56-24 and gave up 25 offensive rebounds.

That suggests to me that she may be more of a "finesse" player who has some midrange scoring talent, but is not a powerful presence in the paint.

If Batouly can play serious minutes next year, it seems to me that her style of play is much more in line with what the team will need.
This is why citing statistics is dangerous. If Evelyn scored 28 on offense, she was clearly her team’s primary offensive option vs TN. As such, she wasn’t going to be the player responsible to also crash the offensive boards. She was getting her shots and making them. Someone else had to crash the offensive boards.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Finesse? She looked like a bull to me.

and TN was one of the better Rebounding teams in the nation I believe and they would undoubtedly key in on the opponents best rebound.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
I really like this move. Gets us to 10 definites for next year, and lots to like about her game. We also know for sure she is eligible for 2019-2020, unlike some other transfer names that have been mentioned.

She can score inside, and she is wide - will take up space there defensively even though she is not a shot blocker. Can shoot from the outside, has some ball handling ability, good foul shooter, and only fouled out once despite logging big minutes. A little unorthodox, kinda like Dillard but not at that level (not many are). And how many possible recruits out there with immediate eligibility dropped 28 on Tennessee? I don`t know if she will start, especially since Geno is not finished, but gotta believe she will get some important minutes.

Another thing I like is that she will not be in the way of the 2020 inside players, Gusters et al, that we are trying to get.

Bueckers, Muhl, Makurat, Adebayo, possibly more - Geno is winning April and May. But no golf yet pal, you still got some work to do! ;)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I note with a smile how opponents fall like bowling pins on contact with Ms Adebayo. Also they dangerously risk their shoulder sockets when attempting to challenge for a rebound in her grip. Pity she wasn't with us last year to respond to some of the assaults on Lou...

Will be fun watching her picks.

Wilderness

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I note with a smile how opponents fall like bowling pins on contact with Ms Adebayo. Also they dangerously risk their shoulder sockets when attempting to challenge for a rebound in her grip. Pity she wasn't with us last year to respond to some of the assaults on Lou...

Will be fun watching her picks.

Wilderness
What footage are you watching to make these comments? Do you have a link?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom