Governor Malloy Won't Push For Costly XL Center Upgrades | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Governor Malloy Won't Push For Costly XL Center Upgrades

Reaction Score
After he sent that letter to the Islanders this was a formality.

You know, I typically have pretty strong feelings about any given government policy or spend, but I admit this one finds me with many mixed feelings.

I feel like there are some pretty compelling reasons to save the money, but some equally compelling reasons not to just let the thing fall into a blighted pit of despair.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Scrap it.. knock it down... build a 16k state of the art arena. Make it small but great... people will come. The XL Center never will be great. Basically the Winnipeg/Oklahoma City model kicked up a notch. A NHL team will become available.... the league has propped too many of these franchises as it is. You've got to have the arena though. Hartford doesn't. The building has got to be part of the draw... Look at the precedent set by the new MLB, minor league baseball, heck even minor league hockey. The AHL is setting attendance records based in part on some great new small arenas.

And hire Deepster to monitor the construction. ;)

Reaction Score
And if this is built to NCAA standards we can regain ourselves as at least a first weekend March Madness site. And add in NCAA Regional hockey as well. These are the types of events that will make the building get to/surpass economic viability and increase hotel stays and drive up restaurant meals. This is called economic development. Tourism like NCAA tourneys helps tremendously. Onward and upward, I say.
Exactly what's been going on in Bridgeport with the Bluefish and Sound Tigers and WBA. I never imagined Bridgeport would become as cleaned up as it is now. Used to be quite a mess. 10 years ago, there was fear around Harbor Yard for visitors. Not anymore. People feel comfortable parking on streets now.

Hartford is going to be cleaned up. They're following Bridgeport's plan.

Reaction Score
In Indianapolis it was fairly obvious that Market Square Arena needed to go. Not much public outcry about renovating vs new, but there were a few loud voices out there that wanted to keep the old place.

In retrospect, renovating the old place would have been a constant uphill battle to bring events and people in. I just hope we collectively get over the need to replace pro-sports homes every 20-25 years.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
XL is fine the way it is and what it is used for. More $ is the lipstick on a pig analogy. The NHL or NBA teams would want a brand new arena.
We've put too much money into the XL already and this will no way pass the CT Senate should it get that far. I doubt it will even be in their budget.

Reaction Score
XL is fine the way it is and what it is used for. More $ is the lipstick on a pig analogy. The NHL or NBA teams would want a brand new arena.
We've put too much money into the XL already and this will no way pass the CT Senate should it get that far. I doubt it will even be in their budget.

Oh it won't pass the Senate even if it is in a tie, Wyman breaks the tie.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Oh it won't pass the Senate even if it is in a tie, Wyman breaks the tie.
she would vote yes, but I do not see a tie or even it being in a pkg

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
We are focusing on the wrong sport (NHL) and stadium (XL). Rentschler is perfect for an MLS team. We need to get an investor to fund a team. The stadium is already built and the USMNT has already played there, soccer is popular in CT, and Hartford had the second best TV ratings for the World Cup.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
We are focusing on the wrong sport (NHL) and stadium (XL). Rentschler is perfect for an MLS team. We need to get an investor to fund a team. The stadium is already built and the USMNT has already played there, soccer is popular in CT, and Hartford had the second best TV ratings for the World Cup.
MLS is not part of the big 4. It's definitely growing but an NHL team would definitely be bigger. Also if this is what it takes to get a modern XL Center for UConn then I'm all for it.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
MLS is not part of the big 4. It's definitely growing but an NHL team would definitely be bigger. Also if this is what it takes to get a modern XL Center for UConn then I'm all for it.
True, but soccer is growing and hockey is stunted at best.

Reaction Score
True, but soccer is growing and hockey is stunted at best.
Are you even aware that the #1 draft pick in this past NHL draft is a Mexican-American from Arizona?

God Almighty. You act as if you have vision, you don't. You way underestimate the place of sports in a global society in the future. When it's right in front of us.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Are you even aware that the #1 draft pick in this past NHL draft is a Mexican-American from Arizona?

God Almighty.
Who cares. High schools are the canning the sport or merging teams. If you think a long-term growth potential for NHL is in Mexico, you are delusional.

shizzle787

Reaction Score

God Almighty. You act as if you have vision, you don't. You way underestimate the place of sports in a global society in the future. When it's right in front of us.
You do realize that kids today care more about video games than sports half the times, right? Colleges are now offering e-sports and youth participation levels are down.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Hockey eyes Hispanic fans for growth

You are quite senseless. Except when it comes to trying to revive the 50s.
Just because the NHL is trying to appeal to Hispanics doesn't mean it is going to work. Hint: it isn't. Hispanics are into soccer and baseball primarily. Playing a sport that cost hundreds of dollars just to get going plus traveling is not going to work. Why do you think that the vast majority of NHL players are Europeans or white Americans who came from middle class and wealthy homes?

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Just because the NHL is trying to appeal to Hispanics doesn't mean it is going to work. Hint: it isn't. Hispanics are into soccer and baseball primarily. Playing a sport that cost hundreds of dollars just to get going plus traveling is not going to work. Why do you think that the vast majority of NHL players are Europeans or white Americans who came from middle class and wealthy homes?
Canadian are still the vast majority of NHL players...and most of them come from blue collar homes. You should use Google a little before making false claims!

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Canadian are still the vast majority of NHL players....and most of them come from blue collar homes. You should use Google a little before making false claims!
White Americans includes Canadians. My family is from Quebec. Anyway, blue collar is...middle class.

Reaction Score
White Americans includes Canadians. My family is from Quebec. Anyway, blue collar is....middle class.
Americans are also classified by the NHL...since they play on 2 separate national teams they are classified as 2 separate race classes. Nice try though.....too bad it doesn't make the cut.
Canadians do not make up the majority of NHL players this season - Article - TSN
For the 2015-2016 NHL season the break down is as follows: 49.7% Canada 24.2% United States 9.1% Sweden 4.5% Russia/USSR 4.2% Czech Rep 3.2% Finland 1.1% Slovakia 0.9% Switzerland 0.9% Germany 0.8% Denmark 0.5% Austria 0.3% France 0.1% Latvia 0.1% Slovenia 0.1% Norway 0.1% Netherlands 0.1% Croatia 0.1% Belarus

SO you can't even use your claim about Europeans either!

Last edited:

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Americans are also classified by the NHL....since they play on 2 separate national teams they are classified as 2 separate race classes. Nice try though......too bad it doesn't make the cut.
I didn't make a false claim; I forgot about them, but my point stands. Hispanics are not where the NHL should be looking because they don't care. As it is the Southern US doesn't care about hockey (Phoenix may lose their team).

Reaction Score
I didn't make a false claim; I forgot about them, but my point stands. Hispanics are not where the NHL should be looking because they don't care. As it is the Southern US doesn't care about hockey (Phoenix may lose their team).
Yet Tampa Bay is Flourishing in the South. and Vegas will do VERY well in the SOUTHWEST where the Coyotes also play. Actually you should take a look at where players in the NHL come from..you will be surprised to see many from Tampa Bay and Miami Fla, Phoenix Arizona, Southern and Northern California and Raliegh/Durham part of Carolina. St Louis Missouri as well. @shizzle787 we can go at this ALL NIGHT! You did make a false claim by painting with a VERY broad brush where players are from in the NHL.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Yet Tampa Bay is Flourishing in the South. and Vegas will do VERY well in the SOUTHWEST where the Coyotes also play. Actually you should take a look at where players in the NHL come from..you will be surprised to see many from Tampa Bay and Miami Fla, Phoenix Arizona, Southern and Northern California and Raliegh/Durham part of Carolina. St Louis Missouri as well. @shizzle787 we can go at this ALL NIGHT! You did make a false claim by painting with a VERY broad brush where players are from in the NHL.
https://www.quora.com/98-of-professional-hockey-players-are-white-is-the-NHL-a-racist-organization Yea...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom