Governor Malloy Won't Push For Costly XL Center Upgrades | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Governor Malloy Won't Push For Costly XL Center Upgrades

Reaction Score
Because they're supposed to benefit the State? How is exactly is them putting the XLC out of business good for CT or the 1.2m people who live in the metro region? It's really not hard to grasp.
Lol what?

Reaction Score
Looking good... looks like steel, not the shoddy PVC piping that threatens players with injuries and bouncing pucks that the 1 billion $ arena Barclays Center refuses to address.

Reaction Score
Looking good... looks like steel, not the shoddy PVC piping that threatens players with injuries and bouncing pucks that the 1 billion $ arena Barclays Center refuses to address.

Looks like they got it right!

Reaction Score

I've skated on nearly every rink in the state of CT and the XL ice is BY FAR the worst!! I mean.. it's not bad, it's horrible! Glad they are making these changes because every time I step on this ice I can't understand how an AHL and D1 hockey program skate there! Hope these modifications fix the issues of soft ice and continuous wet spots.

Reaction Score
So does this mean that there will NOT be an on campus hockey rink for home games? Wasn't a rink on campus one of the requirements / conditions of acceptance from Hockey East?

Reaction Score
So does this mean that there will NOT be an on campus hockey rink for home games? Wasn't a rink on campus one of the requirements / conditions of acceptance from Hockey East?

I wouldn't count on it any time soon based on the cost. I think Uconn has been able to hold off the Hockey East mandate that there be a rink on campus due to the high attendance numbers the XL has provided.

Reaction Score

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
It looks like that $115 million that was in the Democrats budget for the XL Center upgrade is gone with that budget not passing the Senate today. It's not in the Republican budget, the state aid for Hartford is gone as well.
Link to Courant Article:
Senate Votes For Republican Budget, Malloy Promises Veto

Link to Budget that passed:
"AN ACT PROVIDING FOR THE CONTINUED OPERATION OF ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE STATE."

Link to Budget that failed:
Read The Democratic Budget Budget Bill
Good. Shut that dump down if need be. Lipstick on a pig. Having it around has not neen the panacea everyone imagined

Reaction Score
Good. Shut that dump down if need be. Lipstick on a pig. Having it around has not neen the panacea everyone imagined
At the end of the day..UConn can play hoops on campus, and it will force them to do something for hockey on campus sooner than later. If you want to talk about saving $$ in the athletic department you can start right there by not paying to play games at the XL Center.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Stop the madness. Please realize that if the XL Center does not get upgraded, then Connecticut might as well tell the world we don't care about the sports industry (i.e. professional, college, and high level amateur) at all. XL would be torn down and next would be a mothballing of The Rent. Play that string out further - that means we're out of the AAC and possibly back to a Big East II style conference as a "Catholic/Ivy" style AD.

Not trying to be dramatic, just telling it like I see it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What about all the great fundraising that supposedly happened last year? Take money from that, run a capital campaign, and build an on campus hockey rink. It is obviously the funds are not there for the XL Center and the state will not give more funds in the future to UCONN to build on campus due to huge budget issues.

Reaction Score
I agree. The problem is it is too big of an arena for a mid major and minor league hockey team
what would be an ideal size? 10K, 12K? The basketball games the past few years have been too empty feeling.

Reaction Score
what would be an ideal size? 10K, 12K? The basketball games the past few years have been too empty feeling.
For strictly college, if sharing BB and hockey, would be in the ~13-14K range with a seating bowl configuration that'd allow for ~7-8K in the bottom level and the top curtained off for hockey. Thing is, that would only work on campus. Building that in Hartford would make no sense, it'd be too small for major pro sports and major concerts, too big for minor league sports. There's also really no reason to build that in Storrs since Gampel is more than sufficient as it stands.

If the state continues to threaten to screw UConn over, I'd love to see them completely pull out of playing any games in Hartford. The arena and surrounding businesses would crumble without those home events there, while the programs would likely thrive with a completely on-campus environment. Though the hockey team would need a facility built.

Reaction Score
For strictly college, if sharing BB and hockey, would be in the ~13-14K range with a seating bowl configuration that'd allow for ~7-8K in the bottom level and the top curtained off for hockey. Thing is, that would only work on campus. Building that in Hartford would make no sense, it'd be too small for major pro sports and major concerts, too big for minor league sports. There's also really no reason to build that in Storrs since Gampel is more than sufficient as it stands.

If the state continues to threaten to screw UConn over, I'd love to see them completely pull out of playing any games in Hartford. The arena and surrounding businesses would crumble without those home events there, while the programs would likely thrive with a completely on-campus environment. Though the hockey team would need a facility built.

so similar to the Worcester Centrum (or whatever they call it now)

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Well - if you want to keep the doors open, maybe some bus routes could be eliminated:

Old story below, but my guess is the numbers haven't changed much. CT provides a massive subsidy to Capitol Area bus transportation.
Yearly Taxpayer Cost To Operate CTfastrak Jumps 75 Percent From Original Estimate

The latest figures supplied by Connecticut's DOT suggest that CTfastrak will bring in a projected $4.9 million in fares in its first year toward an operating budget of $22.4 million. If those numbers hold, that means fares will cover about 22 percent of the bills; taxpayers will pick up the remaining $17.5 million.

Reaction Score

UCONN purposely trying to destroy downtown Hartford would result in less money for UCONN due to less taxes paid by business in that area and the surround area.

Reaction Score
UCONN purposely trying to destroy downtown Hartford would result in less money for UCONN due to less taxes paid by business in that area and the surround area.

UConn in Hartford makes less and less sense (basketball-wise)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom