Gout incredibly painful | The Boneyard

Gout incredibly painful

Reaction Score
It's brutal. Hell on earth. Standing up when the blood flows to your foot is as bad as it gets. Been through some brutal stuff in my life and it's the 4th most painful thing I've had. So yeah, bad. Have had it twice. The second time was so bad it left permanent arthritis in my metatarsils. Get a steroid pack or a strong anti-inflammatory from your doctor. While waiting for apppintment or script, take Alleve(Naproxen). That will help the short term. Drink lots of water daily and get some Cherribhundi tart cherry juice. Both help both in treating and preventing. Water flushes the uric acid out of your body(kidneys) so double what you normally drink. Change your diet as well. Seafood(especially shellfish), some meats, spinach, mushrooms and some other foods are all high in purines(uric acid). Do a google search to see what to avoid or limit. Alcohol isn't great for it either, partly because it dehydrates you. So if you partake like me on occassion, drink lots of water during, after, and the next day. Allipurinol works well as a maintenance preventative drug as Ricker said. Only issue with it is it can cause some wicked side effects for some. If it happens a second time try allipurinol or colchisine(spelling?) and hope you are one of the people that don't have side effects. My buddy takes it like Ricker and it works for him.

Reaction Score
Thought I had it, but probably just a bunion. On the positive side, now you know what Ben Franklin dealt with. So do something equally impressive. Maybe discover nuclear fusion.
Keanu Reeves already discovered fusion...

Reaction Score
Gout REALLY SUX!

I drink tart Cherry Juice to stop it in its tracks....it generally provides relief for me in about 2 hours. Tried Alipurinal and it did not agree with me.

Suggest that you give it a try....

Reaction Score
One time of the few times its occurred for me I had the same feeling as huskie south. Wanted to chop my foot off it was so damn dreadful. Simply couldn’t walk on it a couple times for a day or so but as stated above, Cherry juice is a great go-to as well as eating cherries.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Working through possible bouts with gout right now.

I think it's longus extensor tendinitis on top of my foot working its way down to my middle toes but podiatrist I saw last week wants to see if it's gout. Blood work was fine except for one microalbumin test which was a bit elevated.

He prescribed me colchicine and told me to hang on to it until my next flare up. He said the drug only works to reduce gout so if I take it and pain goes away it is gout. If I take it and pain doesn't go away, it's 99% certain it isn't gout.

As for the pain, simply having a bed sheet make contact with the toes is excruciating pain. Mobic and Motrin seem to work best for me, but this is a 3-5 evolution from start of flare up to max inflammation to reducing pain and swelling to point of where I can walk.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
My wife's toe recently swelled. Said it was like glass shards constantly. Suddenly, drastic diet changes and no more alcohol for her. She is depressed.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Yeah, my doc said to limit red meats, cheeses and beer and drink plenty of water. I told him I had no problems drinking plenty of water.
We fear that diabetes has come knocking on her front door. Blood work will reveal the results in the coming weeks.

I am the house chef. I have no probs changing the menu. Salad Nights are actually great. Fish dinners are fine. I save my burger cravings for Saturday nights.

Reaction Score
Have taken a different approach which seems to work for me. Daily supplements include Tart Cherry 1000mg and Uric Acid Support Plus+ from Alerna Kidney Health.. Unsweetened Tart Cherry juice upon earliest detection and/or whole cherries in unsweetened plain yogurt (probiotic assist) . Beer with an out- break is not a good match.

I try to stay away from medications as a solution due to long term side effects. Anti-inflammatories as a last resort.

Am familiar with this condition.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
We fear that diabetes has come knocking on her front door. Blood work will reveal the results in the coming weeks.

I am the house chef. I have no probs changing the menu. Salad Nights are actually great. Fish dinners are fine. I save my burger cravings for Saturday nights.

The final thing my podiatrist doc said was next flare up, give him a call and he can probably see me either day of or next day. He'd numb up the foot and then insert a needle to extract something from the foot which they could then send to the lab for analysis. He said regardless of numbing medication it's extremely painful. As he said if a bed sheet causes throbbing pain imagine the pain of having a needle jabbed right in the center of the inflammation and pain. So I have that going for me.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
The final thing my podiatrist doc said was next flare up, give him a call and he can probably see me either day of or next day. He'd numb up the foot and then insert a needle to extract something from the foot which they could then send to the lab for analysis. He said regardless of numbing medication it's extremely painful. As he said if a bed sheet causes throbbing pain imagine the pain of having a needle jabbed right in the center of the inflammation and pain. So I have that going for me.
1654786140937.png

"Give the bed sheet, doc. The bed sheet!!"

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
I strongly endorse Allipurinol if your stomach can take it. I take 200mgs. daily and I haven't had an attack since I started taking it. You can't take it during an attack because it makes it worse but once it's over I'd consult your Doc. I have not changed my lifestyle at all since I started the regimen. Drinking lots of water, especially alkaline water helps too.

Reaction Score
This August will be my 2 year anniversary since I had my first bout. Worst pain of my life. Went to the emergency room it was so bad. My uric acid level was 11.1 mg/dl. Normal levels are 3.5-7.2 mg/dl. If you have a flare up, just take a blood test and you will know by the next day if it is gout. Colchicine will take the pain away, but some people have side effects, such as diarrhea.

I take allopurinol daily and my uric acid levels are typically in the 4-5 mg/dl. I've changed my diet big time since then. All of the things I love (crabs, shrimp, lobster, rare prime rib, spinach, many others) I have given up. What really kills me is giving up beer (especially IPAs, they are the worst as far as purine levels), and bourbon. Haven't had a beer in almost 2 years. The only positive is the money I save in the 19th hole after golf. They usually just comp me for my club soda with lime and cranberry.

The pain from gout is so bad that I'm willing to make the changes in my diet to prevent having another bout of pain.

One last thing - when you do a google search for what you can eat to avoid a flare up, you are going to get a lot conflicting info. Some will say a certain food is OK and the next website will say it is forbidden. Unfortunately, you will have to experiment on your own whether a food is OK or not.

Reaction Score
Brutal - worse pain I’ve ever had, worse than kidney stones.

Wouldn’t recommend to a friend.
See if your medical insurance will cover something like a Rascal or Hoveround. It'll be your best friend as you're recovering.

Reaction Score
After it's gone Allopurinol will stop it from ever coming back. 20 yrs now since last episode
My doc prescribed it to me, and I take it every day now at his recommendation.

However, 5 years ago, my gout attack was triggered by something I ate, although some may dispute food as a trigger.

I have seen a nature path and a podiatrist and internist, and they gave me a list of offending foods. You can Google the topic , but the trigger for the major attack I had a few years ago, was beef which I occasionally ate before, but avoid now except for veal which comes from a lamb and not a cow.

Shortly after eating the steak, I did some intense stretching at the gym, and the doctors thought the combo triggered the attack. Swollen toe, intense pain, hard to get the foot into a shoe for a few days.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom