Gout incredibly painful | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Gout incredibly painful

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I've never had gout so I have no clue as to how painful it is. I will say that if it is anywhere near as painful as the sausage argument that has taken over the Best Pizza the thread, anyone who has experienced a gout episode has my sympathy.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Yes just a simple bed sheet touching it has you screaming like a banshee.

1st time I had gout was the beginning of summer vacation. Had already seen the doctor, and he told me to stay off my feet. I fell asleep in a lawn chair, and a mild breeze hitting my foot woke me up feeling like hundreds of needles were jabbing my foot from the inside, and out. Based on swelling and pain, I'm still surprised my foot didn't burst like a split hotdog.

I've have kidney stones, and they're still worse overall. But the initial pain when anything hit my foot, was about as bad as it gets.

Reaction Score
When you get blood work done for your uric acid levels, make sure they also do a GFR test. This determines how well your kidneys are functioning. I found out my kidneys were functioning at 60% of normal capacity. Bad kidneys = increased risk of gout.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I had gout when I weighed 130#, and when I weighed 230#. Weight is a big factor, but not the only factor.
I think beer is a bigger factor than weight. I know two guys that love their beer and get gout often and neither of them have a gut.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I've never had gout so I have no clue as to how painful it is. I will say that if it is anywhere near as painful as the sausage argument that has taken over the Best Pizza the thread, anyone who has experienced a gout episode has my sympathy.

Sausage festival = any concert related to Frank Zappas music. In case you didnt know.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Sausage festival = any concert related to Frank Zappas music. In case you didnt know.
I saw the earlier post.

A former coworker's husband (I'm going back nearly four decades) saw Zappa's Halloween show at the Garden every year from the late 1970's until the mid 1980's.

Can't really call myself a fan but Zappa was a pretty good (and unique) guitarist and his lyrics were,.... well,.... different.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I saw the earlier post.

A former coworker's husband (I'm going back nearly four decades) saw Zappa's Halloween show at the Garden every year from the late 1970's until the mid 1980's.

Can't really call myself a fan but Zappa was a pretty good (and unique) guitarist and his lyrics were,.... well,.... different.
He was great guitar player. find a chick there ;-)

Reaction Score
Gout is most often triggered by Purine rich foods like organ meats, seafood, beer, greens, lentils, gravy. Minor trauma and starting/stopping Allopurinol can also trigger an attack. There is also a link between taking Hydrochlorothiazide diuretics and gout attacks.

The problem with bloodwork is that the uric acids level spike before the attack and by the time the attack occurs the levels are frequently just mildly elevated or back within the normal limits. The history of sudden onset of a red hot swollen and very painful joint is most important in the diagnosis. A joint aspirate with microscopic examination using polarized light can also confirm the diagnosis but the joint aspiration would be extremely painful.

Treatment for acute attacks are usually oral prednisone, Indocin or Colchicine. Each has its own problems. Colchicine causes diarrhea, Indocin has to be taken with food to avoid stomach problems and oral Prednisone will shoot your glucose levels way up if you have diabetes. Long term management tends to mostly be Allopurinol which blocks the production of uric acid but Probenecid should actually be prescribed if the true cause is under excreting Uric acid.

Reaction Score
Try some contrast hydrotherapy it will help alleviate some of the pain so you can get some rest.

Apollo

step back from the ledge
Reaction Score
Not sure if this was mentioned already but Aleve or any naproxen sodium helps with gout pain

Reaction Score
Annnd a misdiagnosis of gout, instead its an serious infection in the knee. If it doesn’t show signs of getting better by monday/tuesday it’s hospital bound with the instruction of “be prepared to be admitted and stay a while”.

But pain has eased and I can state unequivically that I’m not nearly as tough as @Bryan L daughter Kendall Lord

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Annnd a misdiagnosis of gout, instead its an serious infection in the knee. If it doesn’t show signs of getting better by monday/tuesday it’s hospital bound with the instruction of “be prepared to be admitted and stay a while”.

But pain has eased and I can state unequivically that I’m not nearly as tough as @Bryan L daughter Kendall Lord
Wow. Good luck.

Reaction Score
I had gout when I weighed 130#, and when I weighed 230#. Weight is a big factor, but not the only factor.
Yes. You can get killed in a car crash with a seat belt at 30mph. And survive another without it at 40 mph. If you want to maximize your chances of surviving a car wreck, wear a seat belt. If you want to minimize your chances of getting gout, weigh 130, not 230. I am an actual doctor FYI. You really gonna argue with me? And sorry for the preaching. Anesthesiologists dislike people that go from 130 to 230. If you had gout at 130 you probably have a genetic predisposition. But what's with the 230? It's easier to keep you safe at 130 than 230. If you eat more, walk more.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Wow! I hope it all works out for you.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Yes. You can get killed in a car crash with a seat belt at 30mph. And survive another without it at 40 mph. If you want to maximize your chances of surviving a car wreck, wear a seat belt. If you want to minimize your chances of getting gout, weigh 130, not 230. I am an actual doctor FYI. You really gonna argue with me? And sorry for the preaching. Anesthesiologists dislike people that go from 130 to 230. If you had gout at 130 you probably have a genetic predisposition. But what's with the 230? It's easier to keep you safe at 130 than 230. If you eat more, walk more.

So, you agree. Weight is a big factor, but not the only factor. That's all I was saying.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I am an actual doctor FYI. You really gonna argue with me?
I will, because if you are a doctor that sees weight as the cause of everything I would get a new doctor. I ran into a guy like you 25 years ago, he totally botched my diagnosis and I'm still suffering because of it.

Last edited:

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
two summers ago, and headin out to play a round, i see that doc was joining us. 'cool, im gonna ask him aboot my soreish big right toe.'
once upon a time, doc was the ortho guy for the jints (200 ortho docs in his nyc practice, meant nuthin to me cuz he was all modern with his work, ya know, drugs and surgery an all that. used to tease him all the time aboot that. now retired, he too had enlightenment with the drugs and surgery thing, particularly for his health issues.)
on the putting green and catching up with stuff, im like 'hey bones, my toe is weird, what say you?' he knew that i was no kind of regular drinker, he knew my general attitude on health stuff, so he asks some other lifestyle questions. everybody knows that i like to eat, so he gets into that, and learns that i was on some kind of pickled herring kick, often eating a quart (or two!) per week (always Acme, never Vita), in addition to the usual lox, smoked bluefish, smoked whitefish, etc, etc.
doc sez something like 'ur nutz anyway, but that herring thing is way, way, too much. word up.' now, i get enlightened, tone it way down to almost nuthing, and call him a few weeks later. 'ur right, that was it.'
i really, really do not like this new 'prednezone' (or however u spell it) for everything, especially gout stuff, thinking by the quacks. sure, fill our whole system with steroids why don't we....

in his current movie, ol doc jumped both feet into the cannabis biz, after first a surgery for his prostate thing, and then trying a different take on drug therapy for rehab part. now, aboot the four exwives and cash part.... and he thinks that im the nut.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
and, since it's long been called the 'king's disease, or royals disease,' what more can be in evidence, and for an overwhelming number of sufferers, that it is a lifestyle affliction? of course, and with a host of triggers, it can be a highly personal search for what caused it.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
4C7B6143-7D74-49D6-9456-5300D6176EA6.jpeg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member