Goodman: UCONN has positive COVID test, shutting down. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Goodman: UCONN has positive COVID test, shutting down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
They are athletes. young and in great physical condition - I wouldnt expect cases
Did anyone confirm it was a player? Did the person have at least two different type tests?
Young and great physical condition means they'll probably have an easier recovery. Doesn't mean they can't get it.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Who is it that has it?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Are some of you seriously arguing that the program shouldn't shut down for at least 14 days????
I imagine that not everybody Liked your first post in this thread for the same reason.

C

Chief00

They are college kids. They will have their share of fun whether or not they are supposed to. Hopefully the kid is fine and nobody else gets the virus.
Coach Hurley realizes when someone tests positive, it most likely is unrelated to playing basketball. Of course, do the separation/quarantine until testing clears a positive result but the best way to keep these wonderful young men healthy generally is for them to play basketball.
Chief isn’t taking the bait regarding identity. As far as Chief is concerned it’s a confidential PHI type situation.

C

Chief00

I love coach, and I agree with him, but I have to chuckle a bit when I think about Andrea's interview with Goodman in the spring, when they hadn't left the house for a month, weren't allowed to bring packages or mail inside until they sat outside for three days, etc., etc.

We've all learned a lot since then--I hope.
I leave dry cleaning and packages out for a couple days now on my porch. Agree, the danger is mostly virus concentrated in the air though.
The best thing UConn can do is upgrade the ventilation system in the practice facility and Gampel to one the kills the virus - as Mohegan did. That’s why they are getting the bubble tournaments.

Reaction Score
She attends a certain ACC school that shall not be named here. And she has corrected me,all students get tested 1-2 times/week, not three. Also, all students have been put in singles. In-season athletes are tested daily.
Our neighbor is a prof at Wesleyan. They are doing the same thing. So is Colby College where my daughter is slated to do a visiting prof job in the Spring, and I suspect the rest of the NESCAC. 95% of students live on campus and those schools are very small which makes some things feasible that wouldn’t be at a larger State university.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Hope she recovers
She's not better yet. But the grandkids are fine. Which is the only thing that matters to many here.

Reaction Score
My two cents ..A minor set back from a BB perspective.. COVID is something you don't take casually.. No matter what your age is.. So many different ways to be exposed to it.. Let's get smarter as a Program.. Let's get our student/athletes healthy again.. And move on with the cards we've been dealt.. If you've lost family/friends/associates to COVID as I have/many of you have.. In the Grand Scheme of things.. Life is more important than BB..

Reaction Score
HIPAA my man. One of the insiders may know, but I don't see why it matters anyways.

I think we'll find out soon enough if they test and everyone else tests negative, and one person isn't practicing.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
If the UConn athletic department has any care for a student athlete, now is the time to step away from sports competition.

Reevaluate next year or once a vaccine is out and has been tested on Syracuse players.

Safety first. The long term effects are not fully known so best to stand down for now.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
If the UConn athletic department has any care for a student athlete, now is the time to step away from sports competition.

Reevaluate next year or once a vaccine is out and has been tested on Syracuse players.

Safety first. The long term effects are not fully known so best to stand down for now.
Absolutely horrible take.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The players aren't in a bubble, they are on campus as usual. So this can happen. Coaches warned a while back that the 14 day quarantine would make playing the season impossible. The only way to proceed is if they can test out of it, as coach suggests. Same process the NFL is using.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Lamont will usurp his power and prevent this team from traveling and playing others in this state.

Just the tip of the iceburg.

Reaction Score
I think we'll find out soon enough if they test and everyone else tests negative, and one person isn't practicing.

I‘m pretty sure HIPAA doesn’t apply to individual private citizen posters in the Boneyard. With that said, it really doesn’t matter who was positive for the ‘rona.

Reaction Score
Lamont will usurp his power and prevent this team from traveling and playing others in this state.

Just the tip of the iceburg.
Look up the definition of usurp. Plus for historical reasons governors have a lot of power. Varies from state to state but our state is pretty “ generous” in what it gives. Mostly because state legislatures only meet part time and again historically getting to Hartford from Stamford in 1810 for a meeting of the General Assembly was difficult. Especially in winter someone needed to be empowered to act in event of fires, floods, attacks, etc. So governors were largely empowered to act during emergencies. In some states there are other bodies that act as “ temporary legislatures” like the Governor’s Council in Massachusetts. And I believe Wisconsin or Minnesota have a similar entity as do at least a few others. Their decisions were binding only until the legislature can meet and confirm or deny them. Connecticut doesn’t have that system so the governor has lots of power in an emergency. He is using that power. He is not usurping power. History lesson over.

Reaction Score
Are some of you seriously arguing that the program shouldn't shut down for at least 14 days????
I am. One case. Is the kid sick? Has he been retested? Will Hernandez of the Giants tested positive. They held the other offensive lineman out for a few days, did tests and they came back. That is reasonable.

High end athletes rarely have anything beyond a mild fever. They have little to fear from Covid. Heat stroke, concussions, complications of serious injuries, are a bigger threat. In checking the internet, there was a Red Sox pitcher (who, with proper rest, is expected to completely recover) and A 350 pound Indiana OL who had serious cases. And we're shutting down the entire team for two weeks?

In Connecticut over 60+% of Covid deaths happened in long term care facilities. Keep the athletes away from the vulnerable population. Test the other players. Twice. If they are clear, don't shut down for two weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom