Goodman: UCONN has positive COVID test, shutting down. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Goodman: UCONN has positive COVID test, shutting down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Ned just announced that despite the positive case, the Uconn basketball season will go on as planned, and that college athletics have the resources to make the season work. However, he put restrictions on high school sports today. High school basketball players must wear masks during the game...

ADs and coaches I know are pretty much just assuming no hs sports this winter. Two different teams are not hiring JV/F coaches because they don't think a season will happen (and they have to pay them if they're hired)

Reaction Score
They should test every other day with the saliva tests. Once a week is not often enough as you are contagious for 2 days before symptoms. 14 day quarantine is too long, and based on the other Sars. You are only contagious for about 7 days, two before symptoms and 5 after. PCR tests still show positive after you are no longer contagious. So end the quarantine after you test negative.

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
If all players and staff are following all guidelines and protocols I don’t understand how this happens. Someone was slacking on precautions.

Reaction Score
ADs and coaches I know are pretty much just assuming no hs sports this winter. Two different teams are not hiring JV/F coaches because they don't think a season will happen (and they have to pay them if they're hired)

I highly doubt it will happen, they just pushed back the start... But yeah, the consensus from people I've talked to say it's highly unlikely that we play. I teach with a guy who's the varsity coach at my school and he's been ADAMANT that we're playing and it's going to be fine.. King of Optimism.. Can't wait to see him tomorrow morning!

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
They are college kids. They will have their share of fun whether or not they are supposed to. Hopefully the kid is fine and nobody else gets the virus.

Hopefully everyone stays healthy and this puts a scare into them with a renewed sense of vigilance.

Reaction Score
That actually makes sense, but I have no idea what living situations are. But I think you need to use caution and probably shut down initially and retest every few days. The problem with testing only once a week is that somebody might be spreading for 4-5 days before you find out. Then you are in a mess.

I don't know if it is still the case, by my BIL who is an MD told me a little while back that the PCR tests might not even detect the virus during the first 4-5 days of infection. I will admit that I might not have a clear understanding of what he was describing. He has also more recently described how, as time goes by, there is more evidence that even those who have mild cases or are even asymptomatic can have issues. CT scans of lungs show damage. They find markers for heart damage via echocardiography. He did not state the prevalence of these but I guess what I'm saying is that this might not be a two-outcome disease (death or recovery).

At my daughter's college, every student is tested 3x/week and I think she said athletes are tested daily.

ps: I'm taking no position as to how the current situation should be handled.

Last edited:

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I love coach, and I agree with him, but I have to chuckle a bit when I think about Andrea's interview with Goodman in the spring, when they hadn't left the house for a month, weren't allowed to bring packages or mail inside until they sat outside for three days, etc., etc.

We've all learned a lot since then--I hope.
The thing is, it’s around and it’s easy to make assumptions about what’s safe that don’t work. We have a friend who wore masks outside the home, but apparently caught COVID by eating inside a restaurant here in CT. Just improving after a month isolated at home. She was retry sick but luckily no lung issue. Her husband tested negative but they had pretty much no direct contact for over 3 weeks.

Reaction Score
You are so soft on Covid it's scary. I'm not worried about a college aged athlete contracting Covid, not one bit. Hell, I hope it runs through the team so they're all immune during the season.
Ignoring the ridiculousness of this, getting Covid once doesn't make you immune from getting it again

Reaction Score
At my daughter's college, every student is tested 3x/week and I think she said athletes are tested daily.
That’s a pretty aggressive schedule. Where does she go to school?

I heard that in September U of A was able to detect issues in dorms by testing the sewage then doing comprehensive tests in dorms that’s showed problems

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Didn't Lamont just come out and say no sports teams will be allowed to leave the state and they have to wear masks??

Reaction Score
I highly doubt it will happen, they just pushed back the start... But yeah, the consensus from people I've talked to say it's highly unlikely that we play. I teach with a guy who's the varsity coach at my school and he's been ADAMANT that we're playing and it's going to be fine.. King of Optimism.. Can't wait to see him tomorrow morning!

I've been doing preseason lifts with my team every morning. Kids don't think there will be either. Hadn't heard about the date getting pushed back... no surprise.

Bball with a mask--just not feasible.

Reaction Score
Ignoring the ridiculousness of this, getting Covid once doesn't make you immune from getting it again

Not that I'm at all advocating for a herd immunity approach, but the current thinking is that having Covid gives you immunity for at least 5-7 months post infection, in which case they would be immune during the season. Of course, it's a nonsense hypothetical.

Reaction Score
I've been doing preseason lifts with my team every morning. Kids don't think there will be either. Hadn't heard about the date getting pushed back... no surprise.

Bball with a mask--just not feasible.

All HS fall sports in my district are being played with masks (in PA). That includes soccer and football. It sucks but they’re doing it.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
While this sucks, I'll look at the positive side and say they've been on campus holding workouts and practice since, what, June, and this is the first case? They shouldn't get complacent, but they've done a great job up until now.
They are athletes. young and in great physical condition - I wouldnt expect cases
Did anyone confirm it was a player? Did the person have at least two different type tests?

Reaction Score
That’s a pretty aggressive schedule. Where does she go to school?

I heard that in September U of A was able to detect issues in dorms by testing the sewage then doing comprehensive tests in dorms that’s showed problems

She attends a certain ACC school that shall not be named here. And she has corrected me,all students get tested 1-2 times/week, not three. Also, all students have been put in singles. In-season athletes are tested daily.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
That is not a job I would take. It’s a little too last 10 minutes of Shawshank redemption for me.

Reaction Score

UConn has been utilizing the same concept in Storrs:

Reaction Score
Thanks for posting about this waste water testing. That was new information to me. On the other hand it is almost unbelievable that they were reporting ZERO new cases at UConn for 9 days straight thru Oct 21st so you'd think there would be less chance to get the disease from contagious carriers. Despite that extended period of no cases, within 10 days or so, out of the whole campus population, its one of our 15 highly protected, most supervised, and regularly tested kids that is infected. Come on man. How about some good luck for a change. These kids have been working hard to have a season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom