Goodman: UCONN has positive COVID test, shutting down. | The Boneyard

Goodman: UCONN has positive COVID test, shutting down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Bound to happen eventually. Hopefully if this is the one time we run into an issue with it this year (which is a big and unlikely IF), then maybe it’s better happening now than later. Most importantly, I hope the player/team/staff are all okay.

Reaction Score
The 14 day shut down of the entire program is merely a suggestion per the NCAA correct? It’s up to each university to set their own protocols and resume when it’s safe? Seems like it might not shut down the program for 14 days if that’s the case. There’s not gonna be a full season if all programs are required to shut down for 14 days with one positive case.

Reaction Score
The 14 day shut down of the entire program is merely a suggestion per the NCAA correct? It’s up to each university to set their own protocols and resume when it’s safe? Seems like it might not shut down the program for 14 days if that’s the case. There’s not gonna be a full season if all programs are required to shut down for 14 days with one positive case.

Reaction Score
Are some of you seriously arguing that the program shouldn't shut down for at least 14 days????
Per coach Hurley “For me, I do think you should be able to test out. You know that the 14 day quarantine for one positive test in a group, seems like that’s a little bit too long and that you should be able to test your way out of it. But again, I’m not a medical expert. We need to listen to the science and the doctors and trust those people.”

I was merely asking as the protocols are a bit unclear. But if every time someone tests positive it requires the whole program to shut down for 14 days, how can you have a season? This isn’t a one time thing, chances are way more programs and athletes will get it.

If safety is truly at the forefront of decision making, playing a season wouldn’t happen. if that’s the route that happens, it’s cool with me. I would get it, especially since they aren’t getting paid. But if you play a season, you have to be able to flexible. I just don’t see how it’s feasible to play with that 14 day protocol in place. That’s all.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
This was my worry. Should they be tested daily going forward?

Reaction Score
Get used to it. Going to be happening throughout the season. It is the major reason leagues are limiting non-conference games. Not because some other league might not meet their “high“ standards of testing. Heck, the Big East has no standards. That was a pr department answer. The reason is to make it easier to shuffle the schedule when a few teams are shut down. FWIW, I believe Marquette has been shut down for a few days, or was until recently.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I will, at least not until a second test confirms it, if they are not symptomatic. Shut down, retest and reevaluate.

At my kid's school false positives are the norm. Retesting at local hospitals comes back negative 90%+of the time. I'm not saying that is the case here, but shutting down for two weeks, automatically, might not be warranted.
Agreed, so long as testing others in the program says resuming before 14 days is ok. But people in the program will continue to be tested. Cases are rising this fall as predicted so we better get used to it.

Reaction Score
This was my worry. Should they be tested daily going forward?

Looks like they're doing once a week now and 3 per week when the season starts. They should have been already doing way more than once a week if they were practicing in an indoor gym together. That's pretty absurd.

Last edited:

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
While this sucks, I'll look at the positive side and say they've been on campus holding workouts and practice since, what, June, and this is the first case? They shouldn't get complacent, but they've done a great job up until now.

Last edited:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Per coach Hurley “For me, I do think you should be able to test out. You know that the 14 day quarantine for one positive test in a group, seems like that’s a little bit too long and that you should be able to test your way out of it. But again, I’m not a medical expert. We need to listen to the science and the doctors and trust those people.”
I love coach, and I agree with him, but I have to chuckle a bit when I think about Andrea's interview with Goodman in the spring, when they hadn't left the house for a month, weren't allowed to bring packages or mail inside until they sat outside for three days, etc., etc.

We've all learned a lot since then--I hope.

Reaction Score
First thought is just for the good health of the player.

A distant second, I hope this is just the result of an unfortunate accidental community transmission living life, rather than a stupidity of attending a college party that they have surely been warned about. Bouknight hurt himself last year but the program was only affected to the extent of his missing contribution. The consequences this year will set back both the program and all the other players.

Separately, I can understand taking precautions and stopping active practice activities where masks aren't worn, But I assume shutting down the program means all activities and interactions including film, training room, and just shooting in the practice facility? If the kids are living with each other it is hard for me to understand how these other activities increase risk. If 4 kids are in the same living quarters, and testing negative, what is gained to not let them use facilities together in pods etc? Not advocating, just asking.

Reaction Score
First thought is just for the good health of the player.

A distant second, I hope this is just the result of an unfortunate accidental community transmission living life, rather than a stupidity of attending a college party that they have surely been warned about. Bouknight hurt himself last year but the program was only affected to the extent of his missing contribution. The consequences this year will set back both the program and all the other players.

Separately, I can understand taking precautions and stopping active practice activities where masks aren't worn, But I assume shutting down the program means all activities and interactions including film, training room, and just shooting in the practice facility? If the kids are living with each other it is hard for me to understand how these other activities increase risk. If 4 kids are in the same living quarters, and testing negative, what is gained to not let them use facilities together in pods etc? Not advocating, just asking.
That actually makes sense, but I have no idea what living situations are. But I think you need to use caution and probably shut down initially and retest every few days. The problem with testing only once a week is that somebody might be spreading for 4-5 days before you find out. Then you are in a mess.

Reaction Score
Absolute sucky news, but maybe it’s better to happen now than later. I hope whoever it was gets well soon and fully recovers

Reaction Score
Ned just announced that despite the positive case, the Uconn basketball season will go on as planned, and that college athletics have the resources to make the season work. However, he put restrictions on high school sports today. High school basketball players must wear masks during the game...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom