Good bye Boneyard | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Good bye Boneyard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Of the 100,000 people who visit this site monthly, 6000 are registered users, and far few than 1,000 are active posters.

When the silent majority begins to complain, it’s noteworthy.

Can we have a self-proclaimed graveyard with a tombstone, date of declared leaving and a tracker of how soon it is they return as a logged on user?

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Can we have a self-proclaimed graveyard with a tombstone, date of declared leaving and a tracker of how soon it is they return as a logged on user?

The cesspool, football, and basketball boards are like crack for asshats. The OP’s posting history hardly qualifies him as an asshat. He’s the kind of visitor this site is should cater to, not shun.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The cesspool, football, and basketball boards are like crack for asshats. The OP’s posting history hardly qualifies him as an asshat. He’s the kind of visitor this site is should cater to, not shun.

More the merrier.

It's just the humor when someone says "I'm gone" quite often it means they come back. It's a fun way to track it.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
More the merrier.

It's just the humor when someone says "I'm gone" quite often it means they come back. It's a fun way to track it.

I’m right there with you in loving the manifesto threads of frequent posts. Ironically, they’re usually a big part of the problem, and almost always return. The OP’s post is more of a symptom than a prohlem.

Reaction Score
Actually no, I'll continue to post and do what I want . I considered your proposal and summarily rejected it.

There is a lot more at play in the free fall of our program than just Kevin Ollie . Certainly someone as astute a die-hard as you are must know that. He sure isn't currently making his case for being the savior from all the other external factors though.
At least you watch the games unlike the Ratner lookalike paralegal.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I think somewhere an English teacher failed you.

I have no idea what you’re trying to say.

Nah, you are smarter than that. If we had a packed house for every home game, all of which were loud as hell cheering on our team, we’d likely have a couple more wins. It’s not realistic, but it’s true.

I’m curious what the attendance for Notre Dame Football is when they suck. My guess is it drops off, but not by as much as the drop we’ve seen. We all know Notre Dame fans who are insufferable when they are good, but still support their team when they aren’t.

I started coach in 1988 (different sport). The team was terrible, and had been for years. My first move was to have a free bbq for home games. We had a big turnout for each game and got our first big win in years, finishing above .500.

Bottom line: It’s difficult to get the most out of players if they don’t feel valued. A good team may not need to feel the love. A bad team won’t win without it.

EDIT: English teachers are notorious potheads. My guess is they loved Auggie.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Nah, you are smarter than that. If we had a packed house for every home game, all of which were loud as hell cheering on our team, we’d likely have a couple more wins. It’s not realistic, but it’s true.

I’m curious what the attendance for Notre Dame Football is when they suck. My guess is it drops off, but not by as much as the drop we’ve seen. We all know Notre Dame fans who are insufferable when they are good, but still support their team when they aren’t.

I started coach in 1988 (different sport). The team was terrible, and had been for years. My first move was to have a free bbq for home games. We had a big turnout for each game and got our first big win in years, finishing above .500.

Bottom line: It’s difficult to get the most out of players if they don’t feel valued. A good team may not need to feel the love. A bad team can’t win without it.

EDIT: English teams are notorious potheads. My guess is they loved Auggie.

Don't know NDU numbers but I do know when any of the SEC or ACC teams in the south go "south" for a season or two, sellouts don't happen. FSU or UF go 7-5 and there are 20K-30k empty seats for home games.

Difference is their bandwagon fans jump back on the second the team does well for a few weeks.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Don't know NDU numbers but I do know when any of the SEC or ACC teams in the south go "south" for a season or two, sellouts don't happen. FSU or UF go 7-5 and there are 20K-30k empty seats for home games.

Difference is their bandwagon fans jump back on the second the team does well for a few weeks.

I hear you, but football is a religion down south, and any north east team, regardless of sport, has to deal with competition from far more pro teams for a fan’s time.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I hear you, but football is a religion down south, and any north east team, regardless of sport, has to deal with competition from far more pro teams for a fan’s time.

Fully aware but I'd say NDU fans are NDU fans first and any pro team after that. They're more like SEC and ACC fans than northeast college fans.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

We’ve lost two home games and both had 15,000-plus in the stands, so I’m not sure where those wins are coming from. Clapping won’t replace an offense.

Watch any of the large football programs...when they’re not winning, the fans are Staying home and demanding that someone get fired. If Ollie did this as the coach of Auburn or Alabama or Notre Dame, he’d have been fired already

Reaction Score

Bottom line: It’s difficult to get the most out of players if they don’t feel valued. A good team may not need to feel the love. A bad team can’t win without it.

Your right, it's the fans fault we need OT to beat Columbia and Monmouth (Monmouth last place in their league right now) or lose to Wagner and BU last year with a full squad.

Pointing out that UCONN is not getting their 3+ million dollars worth from this coach and should make a change does not make anyone a bad fan..

and if you think a full house of cheering fans will somehow give us a modern offense or is necessary for Kevin Ollie to earn his money you are lost. KO reached the mountain top too fast and got lazy. It makes him human. The harsh reality is UCONN can do much better and they should.

Being the head basketball coach of UCONN is undeniably a very difficult job (Calhoun set the bar high) and that is exactly why it pays so very well.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

This is where conference realignment screwed us bad. Even in a down year, ND plays rivals and other top 20 programs. We play ECU.

Reaction Score

The free BBQ, which was a good idea, got people there, but I suspect that hard work and a complete growth plan developed by you got the team to 500.

Reaction Score
This is where conference realignment screwed us bad. Even in a down year, ND plays rivals and other top 20 programs. We play ECU.

Again, it doesn't explain why we are in the lower half of the conference standings and how other aac teams are ranked. At some point you have to consider the coach and his staff.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Complete nonsense.

I get that you’re not a diehard, but there’s an awful lot of people who’ve lived and died with this athletic department for a long, long time.

For them to be accused of being “crappy fans” because they’re unhappy that Kevin Ollie is destroying the program is pure garbage.

Think more, post less.
They're not being labeled crappy fans because they're unhappy that Kevin Ollie is destroying the program.

They're being labeled crappy fans because of how they treat other UConn fans.

Any attempt to have a discussion here that isn't hostile, bitter, and antagonistic towards Kevin Ollie in some way is quickly derailed and the poster is attacked, and his intelligence insulted. And you seem to encourage this.

Some posters just want to talk basketball. Is there really something wrong with that? This is a place only for the angry, immature, and embittered?

Have you and Tom talked much about this?

Last edited:

temery

What?
Reaction Score
The free BBQ, which was a good idea, got people there, but I suspect that hard work and a complete growth plan developed by you got the team to 500.

I’d love to see someone run the numbers on upsets on neutral courts vs tickets sold by each team.

I’d be shocked if upsets aren’t far more likely with teams having a strong fan presence.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
They're being labeled crappy fans because of how they treat other UConn fans.

^ This.

Personal attacks are out pacing intelligent criticism by a wide margin. I got a ridiculously nasty email this morning, “A warning for calling someone an Scalitoing Ashole? What are you, 5 years old? I’m done.”

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Again, it doesn't explain why we are in the lower half of the conference standings and how other aac teams are ranked. At some point you have to consider the coach and his staff.
Totally agree. I was just commenting on poor attendance. We are bad, the teams we play are bad, and there is no emotional investment. Even in a down year, we would always show better vs a Syracuse, Pitt, or BC. Other schools, in more stable conferences, have at least the emotional investment.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
This place hasn't been the same since the Taliek Brown fiasco. The level of shrill, whiny, self-entitled vitriol has only gotten worse since then.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
This place hasn't been the same since the Taliek Brown fiasco. The level of shrill, whiny, self-entitled vitriol has only gotten worse since then.

The inmates ran the asylum in the late 90, even with a winning record. The boards were frequently trashed.

I set up my own script because of the number of people who not so politely told me to take a hike with my stupid posts and pollyannic attitude.

I have no problem with well written criticism. It’s one sentence snotty posts and personal attacks that are dragging this board down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom