OT: - Good books | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Good books

Reaction Score
Lonesome Dove was a fantastic read, if you like old western stories.
Great read, even better mini-series on TV. Tommy Lee Jones, Robert Duvall, Danny Glover, Diane Lane and Ricky Schroder are terrific.
Spoiler: You WILL shed tears.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
While listening to the interview with JC and Danny, JC mentioned The Boys in the Boat as one of his favorite reads. Prompted me to get it…really enjoying it

Made me realize I’ve been spending way too much time idly online, so trying to rekindle my reading. Looking for some suggestions

I’ve enjoyed david mccullough’s biographies and John Glenn’s autobiography in the past. Also enjoy good historical fiction.

TIA for any suggestions
Anything (everything) by Nathaniel Philbrick!

Lots of folks like historical fiction. His stuff reads like exceptional historical fiction, except for one thing, it ain't fiction.

"In the Heart of the Sea" was one hell of a yarn. It is the real life story of the whaleship Essex. Her story (sunk by a rogue whale in the Pacific) was the basis for Melville's Moby Dick.

"Sea of Glory" was about the Expedition of the Exploration (1838-1842)⁹, wherein a small squadron of US Naval ships plied the Southern Ocean and the Pacific. They were the first to discover Antarctica. Charts they created were, in many instances, the only charts the US had of many Pacific Islands, at the start of WW 2. Their collections of specimens, (plants, bird's, and whatever else they collected) became the foundational collection of the Smithsonian Institution.

It is the most extraordinary piece of US history that you never heard of.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
While listening to the interview with JC and Danny, JC mentioned The Boys in the Boat as one of his favorite reads. Prompted me to get it…really enjoying it

Made me realize I’ve been spending way too much time idly online, so trying to rekindle my reading. Looking for some suggestions

I’ve enjoyed david mccullough’s biographies and John Glenn’s autobiography in the past. Also enjoy good historical fiction.

TIA for any suggestions
Oh!

Winston Groom!

Everybody has seen Forrest Gump. But the book! I read it years before the movie came out and it was, literally, laugh out loud funny. Even if you saw the movie, there is just so much more to the book. It will not disappoint.

He also did a fictional tale about a mythical 7th Cavalry company in Ia Drang valley in Vietnam, "Better Times Than These"

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score

TIA for any suggestions
"Travels in Nihilion", by Alan Silitoe. A most interesting take on a dystopian society. I re-read it a year or 2 back. It would seem we are not too far removed!

Reaction Score
Ron Chernow is a great biographer and I’m currently reading his book on U.S. Grant aptly titled “Grant”. And sticking with that theme, Grant’s memoirs are considered the pinnacle of the genre. “The Personal Memoirs of Ulysses S. Grant” were published with the help of Mark Twain while Grant, suffering from throat cancer, died a mere five days after completing them.
This biography was fantastic. Grant is underrated in peoples conception. Top 10 general in the history of the world. Top 5 US president.

Reaction Score
Gosh, I read one book after another and have so many to suggest. This is a starter List:

I Heard You Paint Houses (The story of the demise of Jimmy Hoffa)

Endurance (A true story of survival while stranded in Antarctica)

The Devil & The White City

In the Garden of the Beasts

The Beatles (one of the best reads about one of the best bands ever)

The House of Pain (the story of Oxycondin)

The Romanovs

Mao: The Untold Story

Operation Solo (an unbelievable ture spy story)

Rival Rails (the OTHER transcontinental railroads)

Undaunted Courage (The Lewis & Clark expedition)

Jerry Garcia: An American Life

Each of these is a great read.

I could go on for pages...hope you pick up one or two and enjoy!

Reaction Score
Funniest book I ever read is Catch 22.
Great book. I just started re-reading Hocus Pocus after twenty-plus years sitting on the shelf. Another classic that remains as funny as it ever was.

Reaction Score
I favor books about history.

I like anything by David McCullough. "Truman" was good as well as "Path Between The Seas" about the building of the Panama Canal.

"Team of Rivals" by Doris Kearns Goodwin was a very good book about Lincoln's cabinet.

"Boys of Summer" by Roger Kahn is a good one if you like baseball about the Brooklyn Dodgers.

"When Pride Still Mattered" by David Maraniss is another favorite of mine about Vince Lombardi.

One of my all-time favorites but a bit dated now is "Travels with Charley" by Steinbeck. This book always makes me want to hit the road.

Reaction Score
Great book. I just started re-reading Hocus Pocus after twenty-plus years sitting on the shelf. Another classic that remains as funny as it ever was.
I have multiple Vonnegut books that I haven't read in years. Time to re-read. We read "Slaughterhouse-Five" in English lit class at UConn many years ago.

Reaction Score
Gosh, I read one book after another and have so many to suggest. This is a starter List:

I Heard You Paint Houses (The story of the demise of Jimmy Hoffa)

Endurance (A true story of survival while stranded in Antarctica)

The Devil & The White City

In the Garden of the Beasts

The Beatles (one of the best reads about one of the best bands ever)

The House of Pain (the story of Oxycondin)

The Romanovs

Mao: The Untold Story

Operation Solo (an unbelievable ture spy story)

Rival Rails (the OTHER transcontinental railroads)

Undaunted Courage (The Lewis & Clark expedition)

Jerry Garcia: An American Life

Each of these is a great read.

I could go on for pages...hope you pick up one or two and enjoy!
I read "Endurance" after it was recommended on this site. Hard to believe how tough and resilient those men were.

Reaction Score
If you like Boys in the Boat, you may like Unbroken. Mosquito Bowl was another good one, both are WWII nonfiction.

I've enjoyed any biographies I've read by Chernow, but they are long reads. House of Morgan, Alexander Hamilton, Washington and Grant

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HowlingDawg

Top Bottom