Good/Bad Chick Flicks | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Good/Bad Chick Flicks

Reaction Score
Liked Delores Claiborne but never thought of it as a chick flick.

Good...

Fever Pitch
Fried Green Tomatoes
The Help
Ghost
The Notebook
The Devil Wears Prada
Good Will Hunting
Legally Blonde
Forgetting Sara Marshall
Pretty Woman

Bad....

Legends of the Fall

You liked Fever Pitch after the way they whored out the first Sox title in generations?!

Reaction Score
Good chick flicks:

Shakespeare in Love
Casablanca
When Harry Met Sally
Message In A Bottle
An Affair to Remember
Sleepless in Seattle
An Officer and a Gentleman

God awful chick flicks:

From Here to Eternity
You've Got Mail
Sixteen Candles
Titanic
Wedding Planner
Working Girl

As said before, Casablanca is not a chick flick. Funny thing is, almost every one except Ingrid Bergman has great funny lines in this film including a bunch of the bit players. And as for From Here to Eternity, I don't know if I would call any movie where Frank Sinatra gets beat to a pulp by Ernest Borgnine a chick flick. It's not one of my favorite films, but it is a quality movie.

Reaction Score
Good chick flicks:

Shakespeare in Love
Casablanca
When Harry Met Sally
Message In A Bottle
An Affair to Remember
Sleepless in Seattle

God awful chick flicks:

From Here to Eternity
You've Got Mail
Sixteen Candles
Titanic
Wedding Planner
Working Girl
You started off fine but derailed. I never considered An Officer and a Gentleman a chick flick. Mayo, Sid, and Sgt. Foley were great entertainment for us young guys. Bodacious set of tatas, steers, great humor!

You've Got Mail was in my opinion a less than stellar attempt, but it was still entertaining simply because of the star power.

Sixteen Candles was a great teen comedy.

Many will no doubt disagree but I really liked Titanic as a great all around flick.

J-Lo is like the golden goblet of chick flicks.

Working Girl was good. All those actors were young with lots of potential, but I'll tell you what. I knew Alec Baldwin was in it but I never knew until just now that Kevin Spacey was in it. Melanie was in her brief prime. "I have a head for business and a bod for sin."

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Here's a good chick flick. The Holiday.

upload_2017-9-1_22-31-58.jpeg

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
You liked Fever Pitch after the way they whored out the first Sox title in generations?!
I'm sure he was talking about the Arsenal version with Colin Firth. That was pretty good.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
As said before, Casablanca is not a chick flick. Funny thing is, almost every one except Ingrid Bergman has great funny lines in this film including a bunch of the bit players.

I agree. Casablanca is so good it can't be reduced to a genre picture.

Reaction Score
Good chick flicks:

Shakespeare in Love
Casablanca
When Harry Met Sally
Message In A Bottle
An Affair to Remember
Sleepless in Seattle

God awful chick flicks:

From Here to Eternity
You've Got Mail
Sixteen Candles
Titanic
Wedding Planner
Working Girl

I had pretty low expectations going in to see Titanic, and found I was pleasantly surprised when I did see it. Funny thing, there were spots in the movie when my patience started to wear thin. At one point I started to wonder, when are we going to encounter the iceberg. Sure enough, right after I had that thought, the iceberg comes into view. Sometime later, I started thinking, this ship needs to start sinking faster. Sure enough, soon enough the Titanic really started to have problems. It is not a movie I plan to see again, but for me, it was better than I was expecting at the time.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
The Favor.

Probably the least box office of any wide-release movie with Brad Pitt. The main plot device is definitely only something that would happen in a chick-flick, while the overall movie is unsure if it's a rom-com or slapstick. But as disjointed as it was, it was still entertaining. And I ended up with the hots for Harley Jane Kozak.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Beautiful Girls.

End of thread (as far as the "good" discussion goes).

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Beautiful Girls.

Definitely some chick flick aspects, but all the central characters were men and the movie has a very male perspective. Not sure it qualifies.

Beautiful Girls is really good though.

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score
Beautiful Girls.

All-star female cast for a lousy movie.

The women[edit]
  • Annabeth Gish as Tracy Stover, Willie's long-term girlfriend, a beautiful attorney who might be Willie's future spouse.
  • Lauren Holly as Darian Smalls, Tommy's old love interest from high school, unhappily married with one daughter. Darian can not resist Tommy, which upsets both parties
  • Martha Plimpton as Jan, Paul's on-again-off-again girlfriend who is vegetarian and dating a meat-cutter. This irritates Paul to no end, though he relents when she gets engaged.
  • Natalie Portman as Marty, who describes her thirteen-year-old self as "an old soul." She is the Conway family's neighbor, who has eyes for Willie and wishes that he will wait until she turns 18 so that they can "walk through this world together", though she understands when he explains how she, like Christopher Robin, will outgrow Winnie the Pooh
  • Mira Sorvino as Sharon Cassidy, Tommy's current girlfriend, who tries her best to make Tommy happy despite Darian's intrusive presence.
  • Uma Thurman as Andera, Stinky's cousin from Chicago. Very attractive and fairly wise. Briefly aids Paul in making his ex jealous. A girl from the big city who is able to appreciate the pace of a small town. She is everything that a guy from Knight's Ridge would want in a woman. Ultimately she helps Willie find a little more direction in life.

Reaction Score
I'd add Serendipity starring the ever likeable, John Cusack and the ever gorgeous, Kate Beckinsale. Throw in some good supporting parts by Jeremy Piven and Eugene Levy and you've got something for everyone.

Reaction Score
Agree with some of the others listed here, and would just like to add Confetti to the list. The Brits just do it better some times.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Agree with some of the others listed here, and would just like to add Confetti to the list. The Brits just do it better some times.

Almost always.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
All-star female cast for a lousy movie.

The women[edit]
  • Annabeth Gish as Tracy Stover, Willie's long-term girlfriend, a beautiful attorney who might be Willie's future spouse.
  • Lauren Holly as Darian Smalls, Tommy's old love interest from high school, unhappily married with one daughter. Darian can not resist Tommy, which upsets both parties
  • Martha Plimpton as Jan, Paul's on-again-off-again girlfriend who is vegetarian and dating a meat-cutter. This irritates Paul to no end, though he relents when she gets engaged.
  • Natalie Portman as Marty, who describes her thirteen-year-old self as "an old soul." She is the Conway family's neighbor, who has eyes for Willie and wishes that he will wait until she turns 18 so that they can "walk through this world together", though she understands when he explains how she, like Christopher Robin, will outgrow Winnie the Pooh
  • Mira Sorvino as Sharon Cassidy, Tommy's current girlfriend, who tries her best to make Tommy happy despite Darian's intrusive presence.
  • Uma Thurman as Andera, Stinky's cousin from Chicago. Very attractive and fairly wise. Briefly aids Paul in making his ex jealous. A girl from the big city who is able to appreciate the pace of a small town. She is everything that a guy from Knight's Ridge would want in a woman. Ultimately she helps Willie find a little more direction in life.

It's got a 79% rating on rotten tomatoes. You may be in the minority thinking it is a bad movie.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
No, it's not - it was horrible in any genre.

Crazy Stupid Love is a really good movie & a legitimate chick flick.

CSL definitely qualifies on both counts. There are two absolutely hilarious scenes in that movie.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Liked Delores Claiborne but never thought of it as a chick flick.

Good...

Fever Pitch
Fried Green Tomatoes
The Help
Ghost
The Notebook
The Devil Wears Prada
Good Will Hunting
Legally Blonde
Forgetting Sara Marshall
Pretty Woman

Bad....

Legends of the Fall

I'm with you for the most part, but I like Legends of the Fall and thought Forgetting Sara Marshall was pretty bad. It's hard to dislike a movie that has both Mila Kunis and Kristen Bell in it, yet somehow they managed.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Preface...I don't watch these movies. But there were a few through the years.

Great: Thelma and Louise

Good: Surprised I liked Bounce (2000) with Affleck and Paltrow.

Bad: The Bridges of Madison County Clint...wtf?

Reaction Score
Thelma & Louise
League of their Own
The Sweetest Thing
Sex and the City The Movie

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Good Chick Flicks
  • Last of the Mohicans
  • Pride and Prejudice (any version)
  • 10 things I hate about you
  • Gone with the Wind
  • When Harry Met Sally
  • Possession
  • The Wedding Singer
  • Notting Hill
  • High Fidelity
  • Four Wedding's and a Funeral
Just ok
  • Titanic
  • Officer and a Gentleman
  • Sleepless in Seattle
  • Becoming Jane
  • Shakespeare in Love
  • Splash
Bad. Note Casablanca and many others listed are not chick flicks
  • Almost all the others, especially Bridget Jones' anything

Reaction Score
Good Chick Flicks
  • Last of the Mohicans
  • Pride and Prejudice (any version)
  • 10 things I hate about you
  • Gone with the Wind
  • When Harry Met Sally
  • Possession
  • The Wedding Singer
  • Notting Hill
  • High Fidelity
  • Four Wedding's and a Funeral
Just ok
  • Titanic
  • Officer and a Gentleman
  • Sleepless in Seattle
  • Becoming Jane
  • Shakespeare in Love
  • Splash
Bad. Note Casablanca and many others listed are not chick flicks
  • Almost all the others, especially Bridget Jones' anything
Last of Mohicans is not a chick flick. That's James Fennimore Cooper for God's sake.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Last of Mohicans is not a chick flick. That's James Fennimore Cooper for God's sake.

It's probably as romantic as any movie you'll ever see. It's a chick flick guys can love, which is why it tops my list. The score is fantastic too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom