Good/Bad Chick Flicks | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Good/Bad Chick Flicks

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
It's probably as romantic as any movie you'll ever see. It's a chick flick guys can love, which is why it tops my list. The score is fantastic too.

Just cause it's romantic doesn't make it a chick flick.

Reaction Score
Good Chick Flicks
  • Last of the Mohicans
  • Pride and Prejudice (any version)
  • 10 things I hate about you
  • Gone with the Wind
  • When Harry Met Sally
  • Possession
  • The Wedding Singer
  • Notting Hill
  • High Fidelity
  • Four Wedding's and a Funeral
Just ok
  • Titanic
  • Officer and a Gentleman
  • Sleepless in Seattle
  • Becoming Jane
  • Shakespeare in Love
  • Splash
Bad. Note Casablanca and many others listed are not chick flicks
  • Almost all the others, especially Bridget Jones' anything

The movie may concern itself with John Cusack's love life, but High Fidelity is not a chick flick. Great stuff in this movie about music. Also Jack Black virtually steals this film in a hilarious role that helped jettisoned him to stardom. Once again, romance doesn't necessarily turn a film into a chick flick.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I am struggling to comprehend the concept of a chick flick so I am likely contributing to the problem.

In my own head, if my wife will watch and enjoy a movie it is 80% likely to be a chick flick. If a movie she likes has the word Love in the title or has a leading male character doing something that I would likely never do, it is 90 % likely to be a chick flick. If that same movie has Hugh Grant or John Cuzak in the movie, it is 100% certain to be a chick flick.

Anyway, one that my wife likes but does not meet any of the other criteria that should be on some list, somewhere - Almost Famous.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Well that seems like a fairly good criteria.

I was thinking mostly along the lines of a film being from a female centric point of view and/or having a female lead character/protagonist, but that probably doesn't hold water. Or a film that is mostly marketed towards women.

What about movies that are straight up action flicks, but have a female lead? Kind of an empowering/feminist thing. Might have cross over appeal to both genders, depends on the actress or the nature of the story. Was Wonder Woman a chick flick? How about movies starring Gina Carano? She kicks serious butt. When some scrawny actress like Angelina Jolie or Zoe Saldana is whupping everybody it's a bit hard to suspend my disbelief, but with Carano I have no problem at all.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The movie may concern itself with John Cusack's love life, but High Fidelity is not a chick flick. Great stuff in this movie about music. Also Jack Black virtually steals this film in a hilarious role that helped jettisoned him to stardom. Once again, romance doesn't necessarily turn a film into a chick flick.

I tend to agree. It was on a list of chick flicks, so I threw it in there.

For me, a chick flick is a movie that is focused on pleasing a female audience. Thelma and Louise for example, is definitely not a chick flick. Almost all such movies will be romances of some kind.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Just cause it's romantic doesn't make it a chick flick.

True, but if it's isn't romantic then it isn't a chick flick. I included it because it's a damned good movie and lots of people call it a chick flick. Just google the name with "chick flick".

Reaction Score
A predominately male message board should interpret the term "chick flick" as a movie that was clearly designed for a female audience, that also appeals to their mates. If the question implied in this thread is "name some garbage that your wife likes that you don't pay any attention to..." then the answers will be much different.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I am struggling to comprehend the concept of a chick flick so I am likely contributing to the problem.

In my own head, if my wife will watch and enjoy a movie it is 80% likely to be a chick flick. If a movie she likes has the word Love in the title or has a leading male character doing something that I would likely never do, it is 90 % likely to be a chick flick. If that same movie has Hugh Grant or John Cuzak in the movie, it is 100% certain to be a chick flick.

Anyway, one that my wife likes but does not meet any of the other criteria that should be on some list, somewhere - Almost Famous.

That would not work with my wife. To give an example of what she likes, she is into John Wayne westerns, and she also just loves the movie Freaks that I've mentioned on other threads on this board. Also, my eclectic (oddball?) taste in films have rubbed off onto her as well in many cases.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
That would not work with my wife. To give an example of what she likes, she is into John Wayne westerns, and she also just loves the movie Freaks that I've mentioned on other threads on this board. Also, my eclectic (oddball?) taste in films have rubbed off onto her as well in many cases.

My wife loves all John Wayne movies, and any and all WWI and WWII movies as well. She even loves classic monster movies. She actually does not like chick flicks, except Jane Austin stuff and Titanic or classics like Gone with the Wind.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I'm sure he was talking about the Arsenal version with Colin Firth. That was pretty good.
Anything with Arsenal has to be good. :D

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
A "chick flick" is a movie that women will go see with their girlfriends. Or ask their boyfriend/husband to go with them. The guy won't necessarily want to, but will if he thinks it might help him get laid or wants permission to go to a game/camping/hunting at some other time.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
It's not a "flick", but the Outlander series on Starz is certainly hugely popular with women. Yet it's enjoyable for guys, with plenty of blood, dirt and swords.

Reaction Score
Casablanca a chick flick? I.. think... not.

I'll add The Fault in Our Stars to the good chick flick list.

Casablanca is a goddam chick flick. Come on. It is a good one, but it is one nevertheless.

Reaction Score
What???????????????

Sixteen Candles is a pantheon movie. No movie with a character like Long Duck Dong can be bad. Just can't. And Anthony Michael Hall delivers an absolute Tour de Force as Ted the Geek.

Say Anything was phenomenal.

Gotta say it, The Notebook was pretty good.

also has horrible taste in movies.

Casablanca a chick flick? I.. think... not.

I'll add The Fault in Our Stars to the good chick flick list.
Why am I defending a four-year old post on chick flicks?

Reaction Score
What???????????????

Sixteen Candles is a pantheon movie. No movie with a character like Long Duck Dong can be bad. Just can't. And Anthony Michael Hall delivers an absolute Tour de Force as Ted the Geek.

Say Anything was phenomenal.

Gotta say it, The Notebook was pretty good.

Sixteen Candles blows.

Reaction Score
Good Chick Flicks
  • Last of the Mohicans
  • Pride and Prejudice (any version)
  • 10 things I hate about you
  • Gone with the Wind
  • When Harry Met Sally
  • Possession
  • The Wedding Singer
  • Notting Hill
  • High Fidelity
  • Four Wedding's and a Funeral
Just ok
  • Titanic
  • Officer and a Gentleman
  • Sleepless in Seattle
  • Becoming Jane
  • Shakespeare in Love
  • Splash
Bad. Note Casablanca and many others listed are not chick flicks
  • Almost all the others, especially Bridget Jones' anything

Wait. You are telling me Casablanca ain't a chick flick, but Last of the Mohicans is? What kind of chicks do you hang out with?

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Why am I defending a four-year old post on chick flicks?
Because you were so incredibly wrong on Casablanca?

Reaction Score
Because you were so incredibly wrong on Casablanca?

I was not wrong. You people are just embarrassed to admit you love a chick flick.

Here is a good test for whether an old movie is a chick flick---Does that movie serve as part of the plot for a modern day chick flick? Casablanca? Check. See When Harry Met Sally. An Affair to Remember? Check. See Sleepless in Seattle.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I was not wrong. You people are just embarrassed to admit you love a chick flick.

Here is a good test for whether an old movie is a chick flick---Does that movie serve as part of the plot for a modern day chick flick? Casablanca? Check. See When Harry Met Sally. An Affair to Remember? Check. See Sleepless in Seattle.
So Nazi occupation, freedom fighters and a murder by the protagonist sounds like a chick flick to you?

is off his rocker? Check.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom