Gonzaga to the Big East? Keep an eye on it | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Gonzaga to the Big East? Keep an eye on it

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
@huskyrob1 dont even bother with this a s s hat @Zissou any more. This clown is a complete turd who should go find a NBE board so he can have a love fest with all the rest of the small catholic schools that bailed.
Ignored him a while back. I don't mind visiting fans, I actually like hearing there viewpoints but this guy just clogs up the board with the same old crap. Too boring.

CL82

Reaction Score
"Nova has a nice little basketball run" You are kidding right? On the men's side I think we are seeing UConn's regression to the mean. Fortunately Calhoun came through for your guys. The past before Calhoun: Nothing. The future after Calhoun: Not looking too bright. Ollie caught lightening in a bottle with Calhoun's guys (it does happen see 1985), but things are looking bleak. Precisely why I think adding UConn to the Big East is a mistake. We do not need a team battling it out for 6th place with a fan base longing for its past glory.
Lol and yet here you are on a UConn board looking for validation. :rolleyes:

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
You know, the whole drop football notion is dumb enough, but the idea that if we did drop football that the first phone call wouldn't be to the ACC asking to be their 16th basketball playing school seems fairly dumb.

I'm not quite sure why nobody ever mentions that.

Reaction Score
Dropping football must have been the dumbest idea mentioned on this message board (non-Cesspool). Even worse than going after the Carolina Panthers and moving them to Hartford.

Reaction Score
I have UConn friends who miss being able to go the Big East Championship at MSG and the regional rivalries. Playing the likes of Tulane doesn't fire them up.
However recent analysis done by someone on this board of what the payout from the NBE with football playing a schedule like UMass vs. playing in the AAC in all sports the $$$ was net net the same.
How much better is UConn Hockey once they joined Hockey East?
It seems most on this board want to hang on in the current format hoping for a chance for invite into some future conference reorganization to save big time football.
Just know that there are many UConn fans/Alums who miss the Old rivalries and having away games that are drivable, and playing in the Mecca.

Reaction Score
I have UConn friends who miss being able to go the Big East Championship at MSG and the regional rivalries. Playing the likes of Tulane doesn't fire them up.
However recent analysis done by someone on this board of what the payout from the NBE with football playing a schedule like UMass vs. playing in the AAC in all sports the $$$ was net net the same.
How much better is UConn Hockey once they joined Hockey East?
It seems most on this board want to hang on in the current format hoping for a chance for invite into some future conference reorganization to save big time football.
Just know that there are many UConn fans/Alums who miss the Old rivalries and having away games that are drivable, and playing in the Mecca.

Why are Providence fans so obsessed with us?

I know you want us back, but you're getting a bit clingy and it's making me uncomfortable.

Reaction Score
There was a time not long ago where PC fans frequently posted on Boneyard and UConn fans did the same on the Friar board. I guess like politics things are more polarized.

Not obsessed. Enjoy interesting sports discussion. Future of college athletics affects PC as well as UConn. UConn and PC now participate in the best Hockey conference in the land.

Even though they are institutions with different missions (land grant research vs. Private liberal arts) it could be argued they are the leading collegiate sports entities representing their respective states.

Something was lost when PC and UConn didn't play each other anymore, same with BC, Syracuse etc.

But I would be fine with the status quo. It looks like it has been decided anyway...UConn is keeping D-1 football. I lived in Gainesville Fl for 6 years and got to watched big time football up close. Talk about the word OBSESSED. UConn has an uphill climb

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Who on here really gives a flying F*UC** what you think about anything! All you do is bang on your Nova/NBE hoops drum. I could care less about Nova or the rest of the Catholic schools that fled like a pack of little and went their own way. DO us all a favor and go away..and while you are at it take your suck a s s former DC Billy Crocker with you back to Philly!

You need a hug FD.

Reaction Score
Dropping football must have been the dumbest idea mentioned on this message board (non-Cesspool). Even worse than going after the Carolina Panthers and moving them to Hartford.

Wait! We are not going after Cam and the Panthers? But I already bought a CT Panthers Jersey?

Reaction Score
Because it is a better basketball conference.

Rhode Island is also a flagship university. You are a tiny state. Don't mistake yourself for Michigan.

A population of 3+ million within a 60 minute drive of the XL Center is not 'tiny', you seem to have a misconception of CT.

CL82

Reaction Score
A population of 3+ million within a 60 minute drive of the XL Center is not 'tiny', you seem to have a misconception of CT.
If I remember @Dooley correctly UConn also has 11 million within 2.5 hours of Storrs, the unquestioned ability to pack MSG, and national brand recognition. Not sure who you were responding to, for whatever reason they don't show up on my screen.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
If I remember @Dooley correctly UConn also has 11 million within 2.5 hours of Storrs, the unquestioned ability to pack MSG, and national brand recognition. Not sure who you were responding to, for whatever reason they don't show up on my screen.

The Nova guy Zissou. You probably have him on ignore.

Reaction Score

We also have 250 million within a 5 hour flight

CL82

Reaction Score
We also have 250 million within a 5 hour flight
Mmm, probably not a useful metric, right?

Reaction Score
As useful as the 2 1/2 hour metric. Know what’s within 2 1/2 hours of Atlanta- Georgia Tech, UGA, bama, Auburn, Clemson

Reaction Score
AAC should expand to 20 bball and 18 football. Have east and west divisions for football and 4 pods of 5 teams for bball

Add Boise st, san Diego st, byu and maybe umass as full members.

Gorgonzola, Dayton, st. Louis, vcu bball only

Army and air force football only

Football:
East: UConn, ucf, usf, umass, ecu, navy, cinci, temple, army
West: san Diego st, Boise st, byu, Houston, Tulsa, smu, Tulane, air force, Memphis

Football 6 games in division and 2 vs other division.

Bball:
North: UConn, umass, temple, cinci, Dayton
South: ucf, usf, ecu, vcu, Tulane
Central: Memphis, st louis, Houston, Tulsa, smu
West: Gorgonzola, byu, san Diego st, Boise st, Wichita st.

For bball play home/away vs everyone in pod and then 10 games vs other pods on rotating schedule so every x amount of years you play home/ away games vs the teams in the other pods

Have presence coast to coast and build rivalries. Have the first pro style conference configuration and the competition would be pretty good
I agree ,was thinking something similar. Expand the AAC and have east and west divisions. Reduce the travel. A better senario would be expand the big east, have east and west. Add Uconn, Gonzaga, BYU, St. Marys and some other west coast schools. Try to form a realistic D1 east coast FB conference. Uconn , Umass, Army, Navy, Buffalo, ECU, Temple,Florida gulf coast, UCF, USF, Marshall, Liberty for example. Keep D1 FB, but give up thinking Uconn can compete with the Alabamas and Ohio States of FB. It ain't happening. Form regional bus ride away leagues for the minor sports. Sending the girls volleyball team to Texas for example is absurd , costly and unnecessary.

Reaction Score
Try to form a realistic D1 east coast FB conference. Uconn , Umass, Army, Navy, Buffalo, ECU, Temple,Florida gulf coast, UCF, USF, Marshall, Liberty for example.

Since it’s the second time you posted it today - point of clarification>Florida Gulf Coast Univ does not have a football program.

Reaction Score
Since it’s the second time you posted it today - point of clarification>Florida Gulf Coast Univ does not have a football program.
Yes you are correct. Meant Florida Atlantic. They are actually pre season top 25 in some polls.

Reaction Score
I agree ,was thinking something similar. Expand the AAC and have east and west divisions. Reduce the travel. A better senario would be expand the big east, have east and west. Add Uconn, Gonzaga, BYU, St. Marys and some other west coast schools. Try to form a realistic D1 east coast FB conference. Uconn , Umass, Army, Navy, Buffalo, ECU, Temple,Florida gulf coast, UCF, USF, Marshall, Liberty for example. Keep D1 FB, but give up thinking Uconn can compete with the Alabamas and Ohio States of FB. It ain't happening. Form regional bus ride away leagues for the minor sports. Sending the girls volleyball team to Texas for example is absurd , costly and unnecessary.
No. Just no.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom