Gonzaga to the Big East? Keep an eye on it | The Boneyard

Gonzaga to the Big East? Keep an eye on it

Reaction Score
Nope, not a fit. We're just fine as a conference scheduling them for OOC games.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Doesn’t make any sense for Gonzaga.
Sure it does as long everyone accepts they will live on a plane their entire college career.

Reaction Score
I no longer want any part of the cesspool that is the ACC. I much prefer UCONN move to the the Big East. AD Dave can figure out where to park football. The ACC is scandal central (Louisville, Syracuse, North Carolina, Miami).

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
UConn, on the other hand, could reduce their travel. C'mon over to the Big East.
I very puzzled why you even want us. I’m sure you have already answered that many times before.

Reaction Score
I very puzzled why you even want us. I’m sure you have already answered that many times before.
I'm happy to answer this again.

If the Big East stays at 10 teams, that's ok. We are doing very well (much better than ESPN forecasted when they broke up the old Big East).

If the Big East expands it should only be to enhance the top of the conference, increase the value of the conference, fit geographically, and fit the conference mission ("basketball first").

Really the only non-P5 school that has high potential value is UConn. UConn brings great tradition of the oBE, championships, and rivalries. It also has a good following, a near NYC footprint, and good representation at MSG.

When FOX and the Big East look at their next contract, UConn is probably the only non-P5 candidate expansion program that moves the valuation needle.

The Big East will be fine without expansion, but I think UConn is a good fit for both UConn and the Conference. Move your football to Independent FBS and join us!

Reaction Score
I'm happy to answer this again.

If the Big East stays at 10 teams, that's ok. We are doing very well (much better than ESPN forecasted when they broke up the old Big East).

If the Big East expands it should only be to enhance the top of the conference, increase the value of the conference, fit geographically, and fit the conference mission ("basketball first").

Really the only non-P5 school that has high potential value is UConn. UConn brings great tradition of the oBE, championships, and rivalries. It also has a good following, a near NYC footprint, and good representation at MSG.

When FOX and the Big East look at their next contract, UConn is probably the only non-P5 candidate expansion program that moves the valuation needle.

The Big East will be fine without expansion, but I think UConn is a good fit for both UConn and the Conference. Move your football to Independent FBS and join us!
I agree with this more and more with each passing week. I really think Uconn needs to stop pretending (so much) with the fball, swallow pride (regardless of how unfair or unjust matters were for the ACC, and THEY WERE) and just join the Big East. Uconn has the geography, history (of winning and rivals, obviously), etc. to fit right in with the NBE. I think it would improve recruiting (as long as Ollie gets the boot if performance continues like this for too much longer) and matters would improve overall for Uconn. As far as football, which I mentioned before, Uconn has, really when you get down to it, just ONE good solid season when everyone else in the Big East had a down year, and got into a big bowl game via, mostly, luck...before getting stomped by Oklahoma. Other than that, they maybe had a few other respectable seasons. Okay, we get it, but go back to what you have ALWAYS done best, to a conference that focuses on the same thing.

I absolutely miss Nova on the schedule twice a season, plus facing an improving Shall/Providence and I think Gtown will get better...plus regardless of how they do, St. Johns is always fun and Uconn could always schedule Cuse every season at MSG, the only non BE team I actually miss (and still dislike a great deal just the same). Plus going to the BE could always attract a better coach, you know, if need be. Again, time to stop pretending, things are not getting all that much better in fball and the ceiling is likely an occasional 8-4/(6-2 in conference) type season with tons of 6-6 and 5-7 seasons mixed in.

BTW, what team do you cheer for?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Doesn’t make any sense for Gonzaga.

The "Honorable Fishy" is correct; it does't make sense for Gonzaga to join the Big East. As it stands now the Zags cruise to win the mediocre West Coast Conference pretty much every year whereas Gonzaga would incur a less than perfect record playing the Big East schools complicated by long travel demands on its athletes.

If in fact the there was a marriage between the Big East and the Zags then I would expect that St. Mary's would also be included in the Big East since it would make it easier for the eastern schools to justify the west coast trip by playing 2 games.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Gonzaga in the Big East would set a equal the current mark for conference insanity. (Current mark is held by the Pioneer League where Marist College is in a conference with San Diego.)

It would cost them a fortune, kill any chance of their fans seeing them in the road or in their conference tournament and just generally be a burden.

I would equate it to Notre Dame playing in Hockey East. They just hated every second of it.

Reaction Score
Gonzaga in AAC would be interesting.

AAC should expand to 20 bball and 18 football. Have east and west divisions for football and 4 pods of 5 teams for bball

Add Boise st, san Diego st, byu and maybe umass as full members.

Gonzaga, Dayton, st. Louis, vcu bball only

Army and air force football only

Football:
East: UConn, ucf, usf, umass, ecu, navy, cinci, temple, army
West: san Diego st, Boise st, byu, Houston, Tulsa, smu, Tulane, air force, Memphis

Football 6 games in division and 2 vs other division.

Bball:
North: UConn, umass, temple, cinci, Dayton
South: ucf, usf, ecu, vcu, Tulane
Central: Memphis, st louis, Houston, Tulsa, smu
West: gonzaga, byu, san Diego st, Boise st, Wichita st.

For bball play home/away vs everyone in pod and then 10 games vs other pods on rotating schedule so every x amount of years you play home/ away games vs the teams in the other pods

Have presence coast to coast and build rivalries. Have the first pro style conference configuration and the competition would be pretty good

Reaction Score
UConn, on the other hand, could reduce their travel. C'mon over to the Big East.
Why would UCONN, a flagship University, want to join a cheapo conference with tiny little private Catholic schools that can't afford to give tuition breaks to their students, much less field division one football. Big East schools die a little more each year when they raise tuition costs. Any school that joins the Big East now, even if they don't field an FBS football team, must have administrators with rocks in their heads.

Reaction Score
Why would UCONN, a flagship University, want to join a cheapo conference with tiny little private Catholic schools that can't afford to give tuition breaks to their students, much less field division one football. Big East schools die a little more each year when they raise tuition costs. Any school that joins the Big East now, even if they don't field an FBS football team, must have administrators with rocks in their heads.

Because it is a better basketball conference.

Rhode Island is also a flagship university. You are a tiny state. Don't mistake yourself for Michigan.

Nova endowment >>>> UConn's. Hmmm. We are also not dependent on state money from a state operating in deficit. Hmmm.

Nova TV revenue >>>> UConn's. Hmmm.

Reaction Score
Football 6 games in division and 2 vs other division.

I think you mean 8 games in division.

I think this is actually an improvement over the existing AAC. Good thoughts. The conference is already a Frankenstein - go all in and make it national with more regional pods. I like it.

Reaction Score

Rhode Island is also a flagship university. You are a tiny state. Don't mistake yourself for Michigan.

Nova endowment >>>> UConn's. Hmmm. We are also not dependent on state money from a state operating in deficit. Hmmm.

No you are dependent on charging one of the highest tuitions in the country, and URI is a flagship University with an academic ranking upwards of 160. Has Michigan had 23 NC's over the past 20 years?

Reaction Score

Why in the world would endowments have anything to do with conference alignment, especially given that Both UCONN and Nova have paultry endowments?

Honestly, I read this stuff and wonder if folks even give a moments thought to what they post.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom