Gonzaga to the Big East? Keep an eye on it | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Gonzaga to the Big East? Keep an eye on it

Reaction Score
Why in the world would endowments have anything to do with conference alignment, especially given that Both UCONN and Nova have paultry endowments?

Honestly, I read this stuff and wonder if folks even give a moments thought to what they post.
When a Big East basketball fan is desperate to have UConn join the BE in men's basketball they will say anything.

Reaction Score
Why in the world would endowments have anything to do with conference alignment, especially given that Both UCONN and Nova have paultry endowments?

Honestly, I read this stuff and wonder if folks even give a moments thought to what they post.
Response to Rob:
" little private Catholic schools that can't afford to give tuition breaks to their students"

Nova is expensive, and yet there is no shortage of applicants. UConn is lower cost, is subsidized by the state, and that state is in financial crisis.

I agree it doesn't have much to do with alignment, I was just responding to Rob that a tiny little college actually has more endowments than the mighty Flagship school, and it's less what can be afforded, but rather a different business plan: full cost private vs. subsidized state.

Reaction Score
When a Big East basketball fan is desperate to have UConn join the BE in men's basketball they will say anything.

Desperate? No. Welcoming? Yes.

I think it would be good for both the Big East and UConn, but if UConn ends up not interested that's fine.

Of the great Flagship Universities in New England (UConn, UMass Amherst, Vermont, UNH, Rhode Island, Maine), I think UConn would be the best fit.

Reaction Score

I think it would be good for both the Big East and UConn, but if UConn ends up not interested that's fine.

Of the great Flagship Universities in New England (UConn, UMass Amherst, Vermont, UNH, Rhode Island, Maine), I think UConn would be the best fit.
There is only great flagship University in New England, and everyone knows it, with 23 major college National Championships in various sports under it's belt over the last 20 or 30 years, and counting.

Reaction Score
There is only great flagship University in New England, and everyone knows it, with 23 major college National Championships in various sports under it's belt over the last 20 or 30 years, and counting.
I agree. "Flagship" means squat.

Reaction Score
Because it is a better basketball conference.

Rhode Island is also a flagship university. You are a tiny state. Don't mistake yourself for Michigan.

Nova endowment >>>> UConn's. Hmmm. We are also not dependent on state money from a state operating in deficit. Hmmm.

Nova TV revenue >>>> UConn's. Hmmm.
Who on here really gives a flying F*UC** what you think about anything! All you do is bang on your Nova/NBE hoops drum. I could care less about Nova or the rest of the Catholic schools that fled like a pack of little and went their own way. DO us all a favor and go away..and while you are at it take your suck a s s former DC Billy Crocker with you back to Philly!

Reaction Score
Response to Rob:
" little private Catholic schools that can't afford to give tuition breaks to their students"

Nova is expensive, and yet there is no shortage of applicants. UConn is lower cost, is subsidized by the state, and that state is in financial crisis.

I agree it doesn't have much to do with alignment, I was just responding to Rob that a tiny little college actually has more endowments than the mighty Flagship school, and it's less what can be afforded, but rather a different business plan: full cost private vs. subsidized state.

I have no idea what your point is. I'm not trying to be a wise either. Nova's endowment is larger than UCONN's (both are peanuts btw at under 1B) and UCONN is a state school "subsidized" by the state of Connecticut - which is equivalent to saying that it's more likely to snow in the winter than the summer in Connecticut.

I mean post away man, but the stuff is mind numbing.

Reaction Score
I have no idea what your point is. I'm not trying to be a wise either. Nova's endowment is larger than UCONN's (both are peanuts btw at under 1B) and UCONN is a state school "subsidized" by the state of Connecticut - which is equivalent to saying that it's more likely to snow in the winter than the summer in Connecticut.

This guy is a complete moron...

Reaction Score
UConn is lower cost, is subsidized by the state, and that state is in financial crisis.

What about out of state kids that attend UConn? Does the state subsidize them? The out of state tuition at Uconn is still much much less than the $65000 (tuition, r&b, fees) charged by Villanova. As for endowments, private schools have to have larger endowments on average for the simple reason that they get no help from their home state. FYI... I think the CT State House did pass a budget recently, not sure about bankrupt Illinois or a few other states.

Reaction Score
What about out of state kids that attend UConn? Does the state subsidize them? The out of state tuition at Uconn is still much much less than the $65000 (tuition, r&b, fees) charged by Villanova. As for endowments, private schools have to have larger endowments on average for the simple reason that they get no help from their home state.
@huskyrob1 dont even bother with this a s s hat @Zissou any more. This clown is a complete turd who should go find a NBE board so he can have a love fest with all the rest of the small catholic schools that bailed.

Reaction Score
What about out of state kids that attend UConn? Does the state subsidize them? The out of state tuition at Uconn is still much much less than the $65000 (tuition, r&b, fees) charged by Villanova. As for endowments, private schools have to have larger endowments on average for the simple reason that they get no help from their home state. FYI... I think the CT State House did pass a budget recently, not sure about bankrupt Illinois or a few other states.

Does the state subsidize them? Yes, it does.

Nova's endowment is much higher than UConn's. It's not a small percentage. Not quite double. I don't think that means much in alignment, it is just correcting your view that a tiny school doesn't have resources.

Reaction Score

My point is that Rob didn't properly characterize Nova. It has resources. In fact more than UConn.

Reaction Score
I think the CT State House did pass a budget recently, not sure about bankrupt Illinois or a few other states.

"The budget approved last week by the General Assembly would reduce the state appropriation to the University of Connecticut by just shy of 30 percent from where it currently stands, meaning campuses would close, financial aid would be slashed, and thousands of jobs in the private economy would be lost.

"Although the full effect of such an unprecedented cut is difficult to know, President Susan Herbst said in a message to the University community they would include closing UConn Health and some regional campuses; ending some Division I sports; closing some academic departments and potentially some schools and colleges; enacting major reductions to all financial aid; and ending international programs, among others."

Reaction Score

I love how UConn people live in the delusion that the Big East is desperate for UConn. No one thinks of UConn. UConn is at best an afterthought. I think you can see from your clear vantage point in athletic conference purgatory why the "pack of little " did what they did. UConn is so hung up on a moribund football program that it will ultimately be your undoing. Enjoy being the "flagship" for Connecticut. That is quite an achievement. In fact, that achievement is so great UConn got left out of consideration for a place at the table despite significant success in athletics; minus football :( that is.

Reaction Score
My point is that Rob didn't properly characterize Nova. It has resources. In fact more than UConn.

OK, I got it. You’re a poster that posts in broad generalities in the hopes folks will just accept what you have to say. I have no idea what you mean by “resources”, but here’s a couple of specifics:

2016 research funding at UCONN = 265m; Nova = 15m

UCONN Medical School; Nova?

2017 athletic dept. revenues UCONN = 80m; Nova = 40m

Apples and oranges comparing the two institutions. Different missions. Nova has a nice little basketball run going, but I wouldn’t lose my head.

Reaction Score
OK, I got it. You’re a poster that posts in broad generalities in the hopes folks will just accept what you have to say. I have no idea what you mean by “resources”, but here’s a couple of specifics:

2016 research funding at UCONN = 265m; Nova = 15m

UCONN Medical School; Nova?

2017 athletic dept. revenues UCONN = 80m; Nova = 40m

Apples and oranges comparing the two institutions. Different missions. Nova has a nice little basketball run going, but I wouldn’t lose my head.
"Nova has a nice little basketball run" You are kidding right? On the men's side I think we are seeing UConn's regression to the mean. Fortunately Calhoun came through for your guys. The past before Calhoun: Nothing. The future after Calhoun: Not looking too bright. Ollie caught lightening in a bottle with Calhoun's guys (it does happen see 1985), but things are looking bleak. Precisely why I think adding UConn to the Big East is a mistake. We do not need a team battling it out for 6th place with a fan base longing for its past glory.

Reaction Score
If Nova has so many resources then go FBS in football for . Nova has been talking about doing that for years. If piss poor UCONN (as you say) can do it, then it should be a drop in the bucket for the billionaire Villanova boosters. Lol

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I love how UConn people live in the delusion that the Big East is desperate for UConn. No one thinks of UConn. UConn is at best an afterthought. I think you can see from your clear vantage point in athletic conference purgatory why the "pack of little " did what they did. UConn is so hung up on a moribund football program that it will ultimately be your undoing. Enjoy being the "flagship" for Connecticut. That is quite an achievement. In fact, that achievement is so great UConn got left out of consideration for a place at the table despite significant success in athletics; minus football :( that is.
Why don't you go to a NBE board and sing kumbya songs with fans from the other small Catholic schools. Nobody here really gives a s*i* what you have to say about UConn or how great of athletic success you have in the NBE!

Reaction Score
Pretty sure Zissou got sent into the netherworld by our mods. I can only assume he was deemed too dim to play with adults. I also assume he’s red faced with clenched fists because he can’t post yet another inane statement.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Pretty sure Zissou got sent into the netherworld by our mods. I can only assume he was deemed to dim to play with adults. I also assume he’s red faced with clenched fists because he can’t post yet another inane statement.
"Nova has a nice little basketball run" You are kidding right? On the men's side I think we are seeing UConn's regression to the mean. Fortunately Calhoun came through for your guys. The past before Calhoun: Nothing. The future after Calhoun: Not looking too bright. Ollie caught lightening in a bottle with Calhoun's guys (it does happen see 1985), but things are looking bleak. Precisely why I think adding UConn to the Big East is a mistake. We do not need a team battling it out for 6th place with a fan base longing for its past glory.
@VNovaCAT remember where you are and what the subjects talked about on here are! If you don't like what is said here you can leave at any time.

Reaction Score

No, I’m not kidding. By UConn standards Nova has a nice little run going. Congratulations. But why be a dick?

Reaction Score
No, I’m not kidding. By UConn standards Nova has a nice little run going. Congratulations. But why be a dick?
How is that being a dick? What did I say that was not true? Outside of my prediction for UConn going forward, can you show me where I was not speaking in fact?

Last edited:

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
Lol. You’re a visitor on this board posting on the demise of UConn athletics and looking for validation. I thought Nova was a good school.

Vnovacat is Zissou's (more) evil twin. Think about it, have you ever seen them at the same time, or even posting at the same time?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom