OT: - Gonzaga to Big 12? | The Boneyard

OT: Gonzaga to Big 12?

Reaction Score
Biggest takeaway I got was that both the PAC12 and Big East were also in talks with Gonzaga. I read this as it’s up in the air between the 3, and only the big 12 leaked enough to have ESPN do a story on it. I think all 3 leagues have their pros and cons. If I was Gonzaga personally I’d go with the PAC12, but lots of different variables.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Biggest takeaway I got was that both the PAC12 and Big East were also in talks with Gonzaga. I read this as it’s up in the air between the 3, and only the big 12 leaked enough to have ESPN do a story on it. I think all 3 leagues have their pros and cons. If I was Gonzaga personally I’d go with the PAC12, but lots of different variables.
I think Gonzaga, not the Big 12, leaked this as the other two leagues were also confirmed to have had talks with the Zags.

Reaction Score
Big East makes the most sense for basketball but really that’s it. Pac is definitely the best choice for distance and the rest of athletics but if I’m Gonzaga I would need to know for sure no one else is leaving in the next couple of years

Reaction Score
How does a one trick pony leverage that to a Big 12 invite??? Yet UConn with multiple NCs in multiple sports…..

So much for FB being the key

They obviously would be receiving a much smaller payout. Probably in the range of our Big East payout. It makes perfect sense that a weakened PAC 12 or B12 would offer them and go Hybrid. The Big East thrived for years as a hybrid until ESPN intentionally destroyed it.

I'm glad we can put to rest the idea of them joining the BE.

Reaction Score
Gonzaga as a BB only and UConn as a FB only. Announced at the same time.

That would be wonderful, but it doesn't make much sense that they would want our football program without basketball. I'm hoping for a full invite to the B12. Root for the PAC12 to survive so the B12 has to look east for expansion.

If AD Dave Benedict can get football in the B12 and keep everything else in the BE then give him a lifetime contract and build the statue ASAP.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I think Gonzaga, not the Big 12, leaked this as the other two leagues were also confirmed to have had talks with the Zags.

Why would Gonzaga leak this?

Reaction Score
Why would Gonzaga leak this?
Yeah doesn’t make much sense to me, leverage maybe? Though I would think it’d be better for them to do it behind closed doors, not to the media, but I’m no politician.

I think more likely it probably came out during the big 12 media contract talks. I mean it’d certainly be advantageous for Fox to get Gonzaga in there. But I just don’t see how the it’d be good for either the Big 12 (who I assume would have to offer a higher payout than the PAC12) or Gonzaga. Big East and PAC12 just make so much more sense to me.

Reaction Score
Why would the Big 12 want us as FB only
Unless there is some kind of men’s and women’s BB deal even if only a scheduling deal.
It will be the best BB conference in the country maybe the best ever if the Zags and U of A get added
The Norrtheast presence is interesting
Plus with Cinn,UCF. And West Va it helps those schools

Reaction Score
That would be wonderful, but it doesn't make much sense that they would want our football program without basketball. I'm hoping for a full invite to the B12. Root for the PAC12 to survive so the B12 has to look east for expansion.

If AD Dave Benedict can get football in the B12 and keep everything else in the BE then give him a lifetime contract and build the statue ASAP.
The Big East is weak regarding baseball. Big 12 would be better home.

Reaction Score
When the Big 12 was considering expansion the first time they were doing from a position of strength. Losing Oklahoma and Texas to the SEC and more or less backfilling with the American is not the same position of strength. UConn I guess would be a better fit at this point but I’m sure if they were interested they would have reached out earlier this year. Adding basketball only is def a weird look for them as a conference.

Reaction Score
When the Big 12 was considering expansion the first time they were doing from a position of strength. Losing Oklahoma and Texas to the SEC and more or less backfilling with the American is not the same position of strength. UConn I guess would be a better fit at this point but I’m sure if they were interested they would have reached out earlier this year. Adding basketball only is def a weird look for them as a conference.
But Oklahoma and Texas are not really top basketball schools. They are pretty good.

If anything, Kansas and Baylor might see the value in Houston and Cincy hoops.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Leverage. They get three leagues fighting for them.
Nobody is fighting for them other than the WCC. They might be praying and hoping that somebody would want them, but I doubt it.

Reaction Score
Scratching my head trying to figure out what the B12 gets out of this.

You're flying to the pacific northwest from Oklahoma, Cincinnati and Orlando? For a basketball game?
It's once a year or every other year for the other teams. Gonzaga has the travel, but more money and exposure. The Wcc is losing Byu and will be even weaker. This tv deal and early renewal is in my opinion all tied into other moves which are gonna fall. Espn and Fox may already have had this or something similar with Pac teams, and it will now play out. Gonzaga can get a lot more money and exposure than they currently get by hooking up with these two networks, and honestly probably would prefer regular tv over streaming. I really wonder what the P12 will get if the Oregon's of the world won't commit. Gonna be interesting, but paying Gonzaga for their games makes sense for Fox and Espn the same way ND and Byu had it in football. Gonazaga also would get more games outside of the dreaded west coast time zone which would mean more exposure. P12 doesn't have that. An enhanced basketball share for a team like Gonzaga is a drop in the bucket on these big football driven contracts, particularly when it only involved one team. Unique situation, and Yomark is a unique hire.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Nobody is fighting for them other than the WCC. They might be praying and hoping that somebody would want them, but I doubt it.

The BigEast wants Gonzaga. Not to fight tooth and nail, but it would get done.

Reaction Score
Dont want come
off as stupid but how come UConn wont apply for the Big 12?

Reaction Score
A school has to be invited. If we were to be invited to join the Big 12 we would have our application hand-delivered the next day.
thanks for the reply, was very curious about that

Reaction Score
A school has to be invited. If we were to be invited to join the Big 12 we would have our application hand-delivered the next day.

You would expect a phone call from CT to B12 tho

Reaction Score
Gonzaga has been the top dog in the West Coast Conference for a while now, but a report by ESPN's Pete Thamel noted the program is considering a move to the Big 12. While the Bulldogs have proven to be a national powerhouse on a consistent basis, West Virginia coach Bob Huggins thinks Gonzaga might not be ready for that new level of competition.

"To get in this league and play who we play day after day, I would think it would be a tremendous awakening," Huggins told reporters Thursday. "You don't get to make your own schedule in the Big 12."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom