OT: - Golf Clubs | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Golf Clubs

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Lots of answers here. Question 1 has to be why do you want to upgrade. If the answer is performance improvement; then is it accuracy, distance, or both. Next, how consistent are your shots?
  1. does your ball move in the same direction with all your clubs. It's ok if your driver moves left and your short irons move right just as long as the ball typically moves in a consistent direction with each club.
  2. how consistent is your distance with each club. Are you pretty sure you will pick out a club that will make the shot you imagine.
If 1 and/or 2 are inconsistent you probably aren't ready for upgraded clubs

Me. I always buy the hottest trending driver and putter and make sure the headcovers are prominently displayed in my bag. I usually leave my driver cover on while I march up to the tee and then slowly take the cover off and drop it casually on the ground. That way when on the first tee everybody assumes I must be a good player and that the sucky drive I just hit is a mishit and not my usual. :cool:

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score
You need a 1 iron.

You will see an immediate difference, as will everyone around you.
When Lee Trevino just returned to the tour after being struck by lightening; a reporter asked, "Lee what are you going to do if it starts lightening while your on the course?"

Lee replied, "Hold up a 1-iron. Not even God can hit a 1-iron."

Reaction Score
Lots of answers here. Question 1 has to be why do you want to upgrade. If the answer is performance improvement; then is it accuracy, distance, or both. Next, how consistent are your shots?
  1. does your ball move in the same direction with all your clubs. It's ok if your driver moves left and your short irons move right just as long as the ball typically moves in a consistent direction with each club.
  2. how consistent is your distance with each club. Are you pretty sure you will pick out a club that will make the shot you imagine.
If 1 and/or 2 are inconsistent you probably aren't ready for upgraded clubs

Me. I always buy the hottest trending driver and putter and make sure the headcovers are prominently displayed in my bag. I usually leave my driver cover on while I march up to the tee and then slowly take the cover off and drop it casually on the ground. That way when on the first tee everybody assumes I must be a good player and that the sucky drive I just hit is a mishit and not my usual. :cool:
A bit of performance improvement, a bit that I just bought a cheapish set of clubs to start out and see if I liked golf enough to really invest in it. And the answer to that was yes

1. I'm pretty consistent with direction, driver always slices left. Everything I'm usually straight, even if distance isn't always there

2. Yes and no. Everything 6 and higher I know what club I want and can hit it where I plan to (within reason). They're the basic irons but they work for what I need, which is why I'm thinking of driver-3 where I focus on upgrading some clubs. It's really the longer holes where I'm 200-350 yards out that I feel like I don't have a club I trust and want to go to. I'm consistent in terms of distance, they're just all underwhelming unless I'm using one of my hybrids

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score
I'm 6'4", but my arms are long so I only was recommended for a 1/2" extension. I could have gotten away with no extension at all.

I wouldn't spend too much money on clubs in the beginning. If your current driver is an old one then certainly upgrade that, and buying slightly used or last year's model can help save money. I suggest spending your money on improving your game and not equipment. Lessons or swing analysis will help most IMO. Get to know your swing. Buy yourself a driving range membership or gift card. Once you get your swing in a good place, then spend the money on equipment that's maximized for your swing and can help you.

That's all assuming you have a budget. If you're loaded, then go for all of it!
I'm 6'4" with normal arms. I play Ping Green. 2 degree upright lie and 1.5 inches long. Taller players tend to have a more vertical swing plane. Hence the lie adjustment.

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score
A bit of performance improvement, a bit that I just bought a cheapish set of clubs to start out and see if I liked golf enough to really invest in it. And the answer to that was yes

1. I'm pretty consistent with direction, driver always slices left. Everything I'm usually straight, even if distance isn't always there

2. Yes and no. Everything 6 and higher I know what club I want and can hit it where I plan to (within reason). They're the basic irons but they work for what I need, which is why I'm thinking of driver-3 where I focus on upgrading some clubs. It's really the longer holes where I'm 200-350 yards out that I feel like I don't have a club I trust and want to go to. I'm consistent in terms of distance, they're just all underwhelming unless I'm using one of my hybrids
Get the clubs. If your driver is a fade a new driver may help. If it is a bonafide slice get 3 lessons just on the driver. But I suggest you go to a place like Golf Galaxy where you can try the full spectrum of clubs. Specifically the 2 or 3 hybrids that will help in those longer fairway shots. At 350 yards all you want to do is put yourself in a place to use your favorite short iron. that's where course management comes in.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
This is the right answer. Getting fitting is a basic step nowadays.

Realistically first thing you can do to get lower scores is get better at putting. Every hole bases par off of two putts. Learning speed and distance gets you a "par" on every green. Find a putter that fits your eye and you feel comfortable using.

But...........you probably want some advice on woods and irons.

Getting a driver or 3-wood which fits your swing is crucial to good scoring. Just getting a ball in play 175-200 yards off the tee will dramatically improve your score and your in-game experience. If you can hit it further all the more power to you. Maybe even a hybrid.

Next work on your short irons and wedges. Find clubs which you can hit and manipulate from 125 and in to the hole.
Then work on mid irons. Many golfers will tell you a 7-iron or 8-iron is their favorite club. Many teachers have beginner golfers learn how to swing using those clubs.

Last thing is your long irons. Truth be told, if you are above a 15 handicapper you shouldn't ever be taking a 200 yard swing from the fairway. Shot dispersion is massive and probability of topped shots or wide left and right is high. Just take a 130-150 swing and then get on the green with next swing.

Long story short, your swing speed, your height, swing length and a bunch of other factors will determine the right club and shaft combination.

Also, use the same ball you use on the course when you do a fitting. Balls have a larger variance in spin and trajectory.
There's an intermediate step between the starter set and getting a full fitting. Fitted clubs work best if you have a repeatable swing and consistent ball striking. The fitter will adjust everything from the length of the shaft to the swingweight to the lie of the clubface. If you're still erratic, you might be best off going to a fitter (maybe a Dick's Golf Galaxy or similar) to try different irons/hybrids/woods finding one that feels good with your swing, but sticking with the standard lengths/lofts/lies - unless you're unusually tall, short, etc. The game-improvement irons are going to get the ball up and keep it straighter with the perimeter weighting, and are probably the way to go...

Unless you're already a single digit handicap. Looking at your most recent post, sounds like the longer shots are your concern. Long irons take a lot of precision. Lots of pros hit 5 woods - consider a good 3 wood and 5 wood you can control and direct.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Got in 9 this afternoon. 65 and a nice cool breeze. Barely a cloud in the sky.

20231222_112124.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The shaft is the most important part of the club. Which shaft you should use is directly related to how fast you swing the club. You can go to almost anyplace that sells clubs (even someplace like Dicks) and they can measure your swing. Once that is figured out, you can apply it to how much you want to pay and swing a few clubs until one seems comfortable.

Your irons need to be a set. Your woods can be a different set but need to be a set. Your hybrid or rescue club can be any brand and not match any of the other clubs. Your putter can be any brand and not match any of the other clubs.
Nothing needs to be a set, unless you’re incredibly anal. Some of the best ball strikers I’ve ever played with had clubs that looked like they picked them up along the road on the way to the course at tag sales. The best pro I’ve taken lessons from carried 2 5-irons, different brands. The most important part of your set is knowing what each club will do, and that includes proper gapping to cover most yardages with full swings.

Reaction Score
Concentrate on working with the shorter length shots which can help keep your scoring down with recovery from poor shots.
Get fitting feedback but don’t necessarily buy on the spot as you may find something that works better for you.
If you go to the Callaway used club site there are some great deals , I’ve purchased clubs there that say very good or like new that are still in the original wrapper. Also highly recommend PXG irons as they are a great value and perform very well.
And a 5 second rule for bad shots helps, don’t get mad for longer than that and move on to the next shot!

Reaction Score
Timely thread. I just retired but have not played golf in 20 years, even then it was sporadic, so I never developed any consistency. I still have my clubs, from 20-25 years ago. Based on the above posts, it seems I should just use these until (IF) I improve. I am going to buy a putter Though. Any different ideas? Could definitely use lessons, I am in southern fairfield county. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Reaction Score
Timely thread. I just retired but have not played golf in 20 years, even then it was sporadic, so I never developed any consistency. I still have my clubs, from 20-25 years ago. Based on the above posts, it seems I should just use these until (IF) I improve. I am going to buy a putter Though. Any different ideas? Could definitely use lessons, I am in southern fairfield county. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
They have putter fittings now too. Try it. You might be surprised at the results. Everyone has a particular stroke and some putters help and others don't.

Reaction Score
At 6'5" you definitely want a monitor to evaluate your swing. Off the shelf clubs aren't designed for someone that height. And simply putting a plug in to lengthen the club an inch or two is no longer the only or best solution. They also aren't built for someone 5'7" who used to take a hacksaw to the shaft. The thing with shafts which has changed so much over the past decade, is it is not only the weight and overall flex but the kick point or flex point. With a taller body the point you want a club to flex is different than someone who is several inches shorter. And that whipping motion is where you are transferring all the power from your body to the club head.

As for your clubs, if you like the 3 and 5 hybrids, I'd ditch your 4 and 5 iron. Long irons are the hardest clubs to master. Put 4 or 5 wedges in your bag so you can really hit any shot inside of 150 with a full swing.
Chin he has a starter set, why are you setting him up as a low handicapper or pro? Love your enthusiasm BTW, always.

Reaction Score
For fast results
Get a 12.5 degree driver hit the range. Or a 2 wood that doesn't overlap your 3.
Practice distance control in the short game. use multiple irons for chipping with weight on forward foot at the range or course practice greens. Always locate the bottom of the sand in the traps when you are setting your feet.
Read up on course management techniques for the middle game. That is something to try on the course.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom